guitar players?

Discussion in 'Places and People' started by emuhhleee, Jul 29, 2009.

1. emuhhleee

emuhhleee emtard smash!

here's my problem: i've had a guitar for 2+ years now. do i know how to play it? no, that's the issue. i'm taking lessons soon, but it'd be nice to know some basic tips.

if anyone plays guitar, what are some easy beginner songs i can learn? i already know the first part of seven nation army & smoke on the water. i'd like to learn a few more before i take lessons.

i will take ANY advice/tips/tricks.

2. 420shredder

420shredder New Member

Most people want to learn songs. If its songs that you want to learn, then think of a song that you like that seems easy and look up the tab on the internet and give it a go. But i suggest learning some scales, it helps alot with your dexterity and improves your skills, if you start to learn scales then by the time you start your lessons you will be ready for what your teacher is going to teach you. Some cool sounding, easy scales are : pentatonic scale, blues scale, major and minor scales.

2 people like this.
  3. emuhhleee

emuhhleee emtard smash!

i'm thinking about learning What It's Like by Everlast. it seems pretty easy & it's a good song, so i don't see why not.

i sound like a noob, but what is a scale?

4. 420shredder

420shredder New Member

sounds good, a scale is a series of notes that are in a certain key. So basically they are just notes that are in an order. What kind of guitar do you have?

5. emuhhleee

emuhhleee emtard smash!

i have a cheap guitar from walmart, haha. it's a first act.

6. Zocalo

Zocalo Sr. Member

G Major Guitar Scales

Great site that will help you. Don't say u need music theory to understand it cuz I have NO idea about music theory and I still get most of the stuff up there.

2 people like this.
  7. newcarcaviar

newcarcaviar Sr. Member

I'm in the same boat! I've been playing bass for 5 years, but chords on the 6-string have always been so hard for me. But in the last 1-2 weeks I've been trying to learn some songs. I'm trying to do songs with the few chords that I know.

Already I feel like I'm getting better. From somebody learning himself, my advice is just to play as much as you can. You will find yourself getting faster at changing chords and your fingers just seem to know where to go, whereas before you'd have to look closely to see where they were on the fret board.

As a bassist, I find it so much fun to play songs that actually sound like the original instead of just plucking a single string to get the base chord note. :D

2 people like this.
  8. Ygdonmir

Ygdonmir New Member

My advice is to never give up playing. Practice does make perfect. Over time you will get faster and more efficient in your technique naturally. But on the other hand, know when to put your guitar down. Over killing your fingers with too much practice will do more harm than good. Also if you are getting aggravated with a new song you're trying to learn, taking a break will help out immensely.

Just a few tips to keep you on track.

3 people like this.
  9. 420shredder

420shredder New Member

haha you gotta start somewhere, i bought this guitar that i'd never heard of for 100 dollars from one of my dad's employees when i was in 5th grade for my first electric, but my first guitar was a decent acoustic guitar.

10. newcarcaviar

newcarcaviar Sr. Member

The problem I'm really having is with these complicated chords.

E maj, E min, A maj, A min, G maj, D maj, etc, I'm good with those because you jst have to hold down 3 strings at a time. But shit like F chords and B chords I'm just not able to do yet. Like I have trouble holding down 2 strings with one finger. And C major, I can do, but mostly I just end up inadvertently muting a string that's supposed to be open. Stuff like that.

Surely this comes with time though.

11. kymtastic

kymtastic New Member

I am having the same issue; maybe I should start up again. The G major scale link was helpful... I think I'll try it out Friday after work :) Thanks!

12. killah

killah New Member

knockin on heavens door is G, D, Am then G, D, C back and fourth.
    the knock knockin on heavens door starts with G, D, Am then Knock knockin on heavens door G, D, C. then the next verse, momma take these guns and bury them.....

with those chord and you can play with my friend i think is the name from the beatles. you just need to know the F chord. the chords are: G, D C, Am, D, then back to G. the I get high with a little help from my friends part is F, C, G same with i get by with a little help...
    and im gunna try.... then its back to G, D,C, Am, D listen to the song and try, you tube helps just type in name of song cover. like im yours cover. and a jason mraz cover will come up and watch them play it. also those chords for the beatles i posted arnt the real chords, the beatles came up with there own chords for alot of there music them, these are the 'Sound alike' chords.

Typing about Jason mraz also brings up the lovely tune Im yours which is also a 'Sound alike' but its nice. you need a capo on the 4th fret and the chords are G, D, Em, C
    its kinda hard because you need to know how to 'Chuck' the strings or the guitar, its eh it was easy for me to get the hang of but iv seen people that are horrible at trying. you strum down muting all the strings completly with your palm i believe, i use the side of my wrist and the part of my arm that connects to my hand you know the wrist but a bit toward my mid arm. then strum up i use that for an intro then just strum up and down steadly at a nice pace and mute where its needed you should be able to hear where one should be its weird i really cant explain them i just tried it out and theres alot of mutes.

i honestly just learned chords, then i learnd what a note was and where and how i can use them. and then notes on a scale then another scale and another scale, i guess that 3 scales but there basic. yeah learn to read tabs if you want to use them, i find them useful but i dont nessically use them for learning every song.

just learn chords and you should be able to play many songs. i just showd you three.

a good website for easy chords is Guitar Tabs, Guitar Chords and Lyrics - Chordie

good luck.

2 people like this.
  13. emuhhleee

emuhhleee emtard smash!

awesome man, than you so much. definitely will be practicing more, haha.

14. emuhhleee

emuhhleee emtard smash!

one of my biggest problems is my fingers aren't long enough to reach some of the notes. plus i'm slow, so adjusting my hand makes me slower. will my fingers stretch if play enough? hahahaha, i'm so ridiculously high i'm so stoked to play now!

15. killah

killah New Member

yes your fingers will stretch they will hurt to but they will calice over with time.

16. echolalia

echolalia New Member

whenever i am bored at home i practice things like, scales (but not as much as i should...) and chord changes. when you are learning songs... practicing chords... stuff like that,
    do it slow. do it right like if you are muting a string that isn't supposed to be muted look at your hand, see what you're doing wrong, and correct yourself. then you can speed it up.

2 people like this.
  17. cj117

cj117 Surfer Monkey

Practice, practice, practice, practice! Seriously, it's the only way.
    I've been playing Guitar since I was 12. I am 22 now. That's 10 years. I still suck.

Why? Cuz I don't practice.

10 minutes a day is infinitely better than 1 hour a week.

It's definitely hard at first, but keep at it, you'll get it eventually!
    Plus, playing while you're baked is really, really fun xD

Oh. And like echolalia says... Chord changes - super important. Practice those and your major/minor chords on the first 3 frets. It will piss you off at how slow you are at first. But once you get used to it, your fingers magically know where to go!

18. Zocalo

Zocalo Sr. Member

All I can say is practice 10 mins, rest for 10, practice for 10, rest for 10.

You know? Get your mind off of it when ur resting, man, otherwise it won't help you at all.

19. Medicalifornication

Medicalifornication New Member

Well if you are learning you can go a couple different routes......

Theres my route, which entails doing everything by ear and tab, and just practicing your brains out. A longer day for me is 4 or 5 hours of playing, but a normal is usally 2 to 3.

I know nothing regarding actual music. Im doing the same thing on guitar I did on piano. 8 years of piano, I cant read music, I dont know the notes, but that dosent stop me from playing music from composers such as Rachmaninoff. Fun if you dont want to spend money on a tutor, but not practical for someone trying to read music.
    Practice makes perfect, but beware, it also makes babies....

You can get a tutor, which could turn out good or bad. You will probably get a good musical basis and knowladge to build on. Ive never had a lesson so I cant really say much in this regard.

My biggest tip is dont look at a song, or riff, and say its too hard to play. Repitition and being stubborn will really pay off.

And at first, you may not be able to reach certian riffs, or chords. Finger dextarity comes with time.

And last but not least. If you love it, stick with it.

EDIT: Check out this tab, The Zephyr Song Tab (ver 9) by Red Hot Chili Peppers @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

I dont know if the Red Hot Chili Peppers are your style, but this song was a good building song for me.

And if you feel up to it, Try making some of your own music! If your like me, the first thing I shoot for after smoking is the guitar.

Best of luck! Feel free to ask any questions.

20. Desperado

Desperado New Member

Great advice right there.

When I was trying to learn Blackbird by the Beatles and Guaranteed by Eddie Vedder. I would notice that after a while of playing the same motion over and over again slowly, i would take a break and like two days later i would be able to play the song almost perfectly and faster than I could of before. Taking the break from practicing somehow made my brain configure the hand motions and make them easier to do. It works like that with every song.. But here is a list of songs you could learn; Or that I have learn t :p (so they are not impossible)

Basically what I have found is that you should learn the song the "correct" way or learn the "blueprint of the song" (as I put it) and then you can start going crazy with the song, and turning it into your own.

Another thing, Know the song before you try and learn it, and LIKE the song too! Your not gonna want to practice a song over and over that you hate.

OH! and If you do not already know how, LEARN TO READ TAB!!!

Easy songs:

Walk the Line- Johnny Cash 911Tabs.Com - External Link

Ode to joy- Beethoven (the first song I learned) Beethoven Ludwig - ( Ninth Symphony: An Ode To Joy tab )

Come as you are- Nirvana (2nd song I learned) Nirvana - ( Come As You Are tab ) (I'd just concern yourself with the main rift, rather than the rest)

-all these songs are just single note picking in loops. If you want to get chords combined with these you should move on...

Medium Songs -With chords and Picking- (Remember: know the song)

Unknown Legend - Neil young Young Neil Guitar Tabs for - Unknown Legend Tabs, Chords, Lyrics

Mr. Jones- Counting Crows Mr Jones Chords by Counting Crows @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Never tear us apart- INXS Never Tear Us Apart Chords (ver 2) by Inxs @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Hey Hey, My My- Neil Young 911Tabs.Com - External Link

- Now These songs are slightly difficult. But can be done :) All you gotta remember is while your listening to the songs (from the original artists) follow the guitar strumming patterns. For example, Neil young plays his songs quite different from what the tab says, but if you learn what the tab says, you'll find out that you can add a quick chord strum, or a quick pick in-between the rests parts of the song; to make it sound more like the original.

Hard Songs - With chords and Picking-
    (in Detail)

Ooh La la- Faces Ooh La La Tab by Faces @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

-Because this song is many guitars playing different parts, I wanted to make a song where i could play it alone and it would sound pretty close to what The original would be like. Learn the "Chordal Version" and get the strumming pattern down in your head (KNOW THE SONG!) Once you do that you can add the picking parts in between or during the chord strumming (Kind like the Hey hey my my song By Neil young, but more so)

Angel Eyes- Jeff Healey Healey Jeff - ( Angel Eyes tab )

-This song is just that you gotta get the intro part mastered to where you can do it like nothing and fast before and during the chord parts. Easyer than the above song..

Sister Golden Hair- America Sister Golden Hair Chords by America @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

-This song has bar chords up the ass, But a very very good song nonetheless. Once you can get a bar chord down, this song should be weed in a bowl for ya. (When you look at the Chord diagrams the "4 fr." means that you gotta bar on the fourth fret of the guitar and place your fingers as the diagram says.)

Finger picking songs -No picks allowed!-

I've always loved finger picking songs, They have always been my favorite, there are some songs out there that are better played whilst finger picking. But while this is a very fun and great way to play songs, it is hard as shit. It takes allot of perseverance, and dedication to the song. You need to get first the right hand motion/ pattern mastered, and then you can use your left hand to press the notes down on the fret board.... I'll give you all the finger picking songs I know. Oh and don't worry about the "capos" if you don't have one, play the song without one if you want, but while capos can be avoided bar chords cannot..

Imagine- John Lennon
    John Lennon - "Imagine" Guitar tabs

Hallelujah- Jeff Buckley Hallelujah Tab (ver 2) by Jeff Buckley @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com (MY FAVORITE SONG TO PLAY FINGER PICKING!)

Blackbird- The Beatles Blackbird Tab (ver 7) by Beatles @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Starry Starry Night (Vincent) - Don McLean Mclean Don - ( Vincent tab ) (First finger picking song i Learned)

We're gonna be friends- The White stripes We Are Gonna Be Friends Guitar Tab — (by The White Stripes) (Easiest of the finger picking songs to learn and play)

Guaranteed- Eddie Vedder Guaranteed Tab by Eddie Vedder @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

There are many songs out there, and these tabs will only show you a generic way to play some of them.. You gotta learn to make your own songs out of these tabs. Learn yourself, what they teach you is not the perfect version, that is in your head. Good luck dude! PM me if you need any more info, or just post here... :S

Your DAMN right!