Hair color question.

Discussion in 'Strains and Definitions' started by Toke-meister, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Toke-meister

Toke-meister New Member

Why do most strains produce buds with orange-brown hairs? People like to give all these fancy names to strains that look almost identical. For example: What is the difference between OG Kush and Sour Diesel? Both look the same to me. :)

I've also seen some purple and red tinted buds and was wondering what causes the colors to change?
  2. shadeslayer42199

shadeslayer42199 New Member

Hair color?
    I prefer brunettes, but blondes are cool. As for redheads, they are really rare, so those are real treats.

Haha, just kidding. The different strains have different ratios of the different chemicals, particularly THC:CBD. But names come from special traits of the different buds. Sour Diesel got its name because it smells like diesel. However, if you are buying from someone besides a dispensary or a grower, you probably won't get an accurate name. Most names just exist to sell bud.

And as for the bud actually changing colors, that does happen with selective breeding (Purple Kush). However, purple bud can also result from being frozen or picked at the wrong time.
  3. myself420

myself420 New Member

I remember like 13 years ago when i first stared smoking i thought that bud with alot of big red hairs was chronic (back when BC bud was flooding the market here in washington). Hairs add nothing to potency, the only thing hairs are good for is capturing trichromes that fall off.