Handling/Moving Kief

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories' started by blondie0420, May 23, 2006.

1. blondie0420

blondie0420 Locks of Gold

What do you use to move kief from your grinder to your bowl or something you're going to store it in? I feel like I need a little teeny shovel or something. It's not like I've got a huge supply of kief at the moment, but I still want to shovel it all to the side of the grinder to see how much is slowly building up.

What do you use to so that you're not wasting the particles that are sticking to your fingers?
  2. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

I haven't bought anything to scoop kief. I cut a small piece of cardboard to use for the moment. I guess I need a picker/packer/poker? :lmao:
  3. BongMan420

BongMan420 Active Member

I use a card to scrape it up and a butter knife to transfer it into a pipe.

The reason I use a butter knife is because small tools tend to cause your hand to disturb the kif, like when you are trying to get that last bit your knuckles will touch the other kif sometimes.

If you try to do it with a corner of a card- the card can sometimes "pop" and throw kif everywhere, wasting it. I've had this happen countless times which is why I use a butter knife.

There is a pipe tool that has a part that works well for it, but I lost mine.

EDIT- yes it's called a picker/packer/poker. (I've posted pictures of it before) The new design that I have doesn't have a good scoop like my other one, so I have to use a butter knife.
  4. nornerator

nornerator New Member

I use a guitar pick, works very well, I somehow lost the little triangle that came with my space case :(
  5. ADIDAS

ADIDAS Represent. KY

I use either the corner of the cardboard from papers, or a pocket knife. Both work very well.
  6. Blunted

Blunted RIP PIMP

I've always used a little piece of cardboard from a pack of papers. Never had it fly everywhere, but I think I'll take TC's advice and use a butterknife now just in case.
  7. BongMan420

BongMan420 Active Member

LOL you've never had the card pop before when you scooping it out? Man it sucks :( You don't really lose that much because usually it's the last bit you are trying to get out and the card bends and then :doh:

The best tool I've used is a picker/packer/poker scoop, but that's because it was attached to my poker. :cool:

I'll try to get another one and get a picture up.
  8. ADIDAS

ADIDAS Represent. KY

Hahah thats never happened to me before, but youd think I was transporting fabrige` eggs cause I am madd careful. Nobody touches the grinder without authorized supervision.:D
  9. BongMan420

BongMan420 Active Member

After you've had kif for years you begin to become more complacent dealing with it I guess.

You might not be using a very flimsy card like I was using the times it happened though.
  10. Blunted

Blunted RIP PIMP

Yeah, I must admit though, I haven't had my space case for that long. I never even knew about keif collectors until I came on this site either...I owe y'all guys big time for introducing me to them.

I always though grinders was for people too lazy to use scissors, I always hated breaking up those fine buds with my fingers too.
  11. SurfThis

SurfThis Subscriber

I use this thing that came in a makeup kit...it's got a little brush on one end, I use that to brush up kif, it doesn't stick to the bristles, and to brush the kif off of my grinder...the other end was a eyeshadow applicator, I ripped that out, and cut a little hole in the top of the metal base, opened it up a little, and now it's like a little shovel/scoop....works pretty good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. imported_redeyejedi

imported_redeyejedi - smokaholic -

Yeah, it's happened to me once or twice, it's annoying, but like you said, it's usually the last little bit packed in the corner of the case.

When you handle kief, it's important not to rub your fingers together, because that makes it sticky and impossible to get off. If you get any on your fingers, you can rub your finger gently on your kif screen, and it should come right off.

I handle kief with my fingers as little as possible though. I use my fingers when I want to get it off the sides of my little tupperware container, and my coffee grinder, but that's it. Otherwise I use a little piece of cardboard, as everyone has said, but I don't transfer kief with my hands when I have the option, I have my containers sized so that I can pretty much just dump my kief into the appropriate recepticle. :thumb:
  13. Dark

Dark Fool on the Hill

I just use a razorblade to pick up my kief. Cornering the kief inside the holder is easy enuf considering the razor pretty much can get every bit of the kief. then i jus scoop a lil of kief on the tip of the razor and carry it over to the bowl. Ive never had any trouble with using this method so I shall continue :D
  14. Yaznaki

Yaznaki New Member

I use a tiny little metal only babyspoon :D

Works great for scooping it up into my pollen press too
  15. blondie0420

blondie0420 Locks of Gold

I've been using a folded business card. I thought before about maybe getting a little paint brush so that I could sweep it all to one side, but then I still wouldn't have anything to pick it up with (other than the card).

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I'll just try going to a craft store, they might have a little tool that would work.
  16. Nambus

Nambus New Member

dump onto a piece of paper store in a jar fold and flick to get remaining dust off.

You can use anything small to top bowls with a razor a nailclipper a knife anything just dip into stash jar top your bowl or however you wanna do it and enjoy.
  17. 60ftbong

60ftbong //\\//\\arijuan//-\\

I use a razor blade. It sticks a little but I wipe it off with my finger and lick it.
  18. DaDornta

DaDornta MJ.com MASTA SELECTA

I use the triangle pick that came with my spacecase, but when I lost that I used a triangle guitar pick...

My friend with a Mendo Mulcher uses the cut-off corner of an old credit card. It works remarkable...lol
  19. Here's what I would suggest using. It's just a straw cut at a 45 degree angle. Works for powdery off topics should work fine as a scoop for kief.

[​IMG]
  20. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

That's a great idea! I did something similar with a plastic q-tip (cotton tips cut off). I will try to make one this weekend, if we have straws...::starts rummaging through kitchen drawers::

Edit: I found a straw, yes! I'll report back as to how it works. After I make it, of course.