Help, making a vap purchase.....

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Wiconi, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Wiconi

Wiconi New Member

I've been reading for a while. I'm going to purchase a vap soon, and I think that I have narrowed my (Wow I never knew there were so many) to the Extreme Q, the Herbalaire, or the Silver Surfer.

I like the multifunction of the extreme, in that I can surely see myself using it (I'm probably in the minority here) for actual aromatherapy and similar applications. But, I'm a little concerned at the air-flowing-through-the-electronics bit. I alos like the idea of a lifetime waranty.

I like the herbalire, but I'm really concerned about heating things in aluminum. And while I know that there isn't any real evidence against silicone, I'm wary of it, I'm a chemist and plastics have a way of being discovered dangerous way after the fact.

The silver surfer has really great reviews, but it's doesn't seem to be as multifunctional as the extreme.

I don't live anywhere near anyone (that I'm aware of) who actually owns and uses a vap - so I can't try one before I spend a lot of money.

Can anyone out there give me a clear, concise comparison of any of the above models? Someone who has actually used or owned them?

Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated.
  2. 5drive

5drive Slacker

I've used an earlier model E, and own the herbalAire and SSV.
    I would be too. There has also been mica used in the E in the past, and some dust has been seen.

That's only on the heating element. No big deal. Quite a few models have that guarantee. It just means ceramic elements are very reliable.

Vaping temps aren't an issue with the metals used in vapes. It's a non issue.

I'm not aware of any silicone used with the herbalAire. Silicone tubing, used in whips, has a very high temp threshold (much higher than necessary for whip tubing-the temp exposure is low).

It's whip only. You need to decide how much you'll use the bag feature. OTOH you won't find a dual mode vape that's as satisfying for whip use as the SSV.

The herbalAire is the best buy in a dual mode vape. eBay prices are very good. With the E, you need to buy from an authorized dealer to get warranty coverage (3 yrs.). Hard to beat the SSV for whip use, so if you don't really need the bag feature.... Also, if you're considering the SSV, you should think about the DBV. Same quality, heater, and electronics, with hands free use. If $ is an issue, it's a great buy.
  3. kmak

kmak Sr. Member

Imo i would recommend the da buddah over the ssv, simply for the fact that the ssv is meant to be standard and not hands free. This is not an issue if you dont mind, but the herbal air and extreme are handsfree and the shims dont quite cut it. If your looking for essential oil diffusion, make sure the vaporizers support that function. Many do, but im not completely sure if dbv, or herbalair support aromatherapy bulbs. as for electonics in vapes, the only thing that you need to be wary of is if they are getting heated up, this rarely happens unless someone is blowing into the vape
  4. lwien123

lwien123 New Member

Well, there are some who prefer NOT to have hands free.
    The Buddha is made in China. The SSV is made in the USA.
    The SSV can more easily be aesthetically customized.
    Many like the heating angle better on the SSV.
    The SSV gives a bit more of a thicker, richer hit due to it's more concentrated airflow.

While the above reasons are not generally meant to say that the SSV would be a better choice, there are those who put a premium on some of the things that I listed above, and for them, the SSV would be the better choice.

Could you elaborate on this? I'm not quite sure what you mean that the shims don't cut it.

Huh? Please elaborate on this also.
  5. kmak

kmak Sr. Member

Thats why I said IMO ;) and I figured that he would prefer hands free since the rest of his choices were
    Still would be a high quality product if it was made in the us of a

Agreed i never said it was bad

on the ssv you can make it hands free by placing a shim on it that pins the whip to heating element. Many people don't use it simply because its a hassle

Passive air vaporizers have air go through the cool air intake and through the unit into the heating element, this heats the air up and vaporizes the bud. If you blow into a vaporizer it works the opposite way, the heating element heats your breath, and may possibly burn the weed and the hot air goes into the vaporizer (where its not supposed to) and vaporizers have some electronics down there, which is fine for normal use, but the heat may damage it.
  6. GunCow

GunCow Sr. Member

The Da Buddha Vaporizer is made in China? Somebody elaborate.
  7. 5drive

5drive Slacker

You're not going to significantly increase the temp in the interior of the vape with an occasional puff of air going in the wrong direction. It's certainly not an issue with any of the models discussed in this thread. The SSV and the herbalAire in particular, do not have a vapor path that goes anywhere near electrical components. With the E, you'd have to be blowing into the whip as hard as you could. Even then, I highly doubt a reverse air stream would get very far. Also, vape electronics are meant to reside in a heated environment. Any heat sensitive components would be ruled out long before a model reached the production stage.
  8. stoneygreenbud

stoneygreenbud Super Moderator

I see it hasen't been mentioned in this thread, I just wanted to say that first I don't have alot of experience using a vape, but I bought a vapolution vaporizer, its got a ceramic base for the heating element, and its a glass on glass vaporizer. theres no bag, its a tube with a glass stem and a custom glass mouth piece. it also has a temp control knob to increase or de-crease temps. when I vape its usually when i'm alone or maybe one friend over, I don't like the hassle of replacing the weed after every hit when in a group of people. anyway, I've enjoyed my vape since I bought it at hempfest in seattle 3 yrs ago. vaping is an awsome way to enjoy this fine herb.

~Stoney~
  9. kmak

kmak Sr. Member

thanks for the correction
  10. kmak

kmak Sr. Member

you have to repack after every hit? somebody elaborate
  11. stoneygreenbud

stoneygreenbud Super Moderator

not after every hit per say, but after every persons turn, personally I get about 6 to 8 good hits from a small (pellet) worth of weed.

~Stoney~