Herniated Disk in lower back...

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by ShortStalk, May 11, 2008.

1. ShortStalk

ShortStalk New Member

Hey all..

Been reading through most the 'medicinal' posts and havent seen this yet posted upon.

Recently I found out I have a herniated disk in my lower back. ......very very painful. ..anyhow, it also is pushing against my left nerve root, causing numbness and pain down my left leg.

I smoked herb for 7 years before last year. ....I made a big job move and whatnot and stopped smokin for a year straight(which i had/have never down before). Anyways, I am just very curious if anyone on the boards has sought out weed for this purpose.. 'severe/ chronic back pain'. I think I am going to start smoking weed again for the pain, because I have already surpased my limit w/ vicodin's and have now moved onto morphine. ...which I really hate the idea of. ....anyways.. if anyone out there has any feedback, I would love to hear it. THANKS. -SS

2. vern

vern Sr. Member

I have lower back problems. When I get high, I will notice pain that wasn't there when I was sober. It might work for you, it might not. Best of luck to ya.

3. ADIDAS

ADIDAS Represent. KY

Same here. Usually if my back is hurting that day, weed only intensifies it, making me think about it I guess.

4. Dedbr

Dedbr Domestic War Veteran

http://www.marijuana.com/drug-war-h...-pot-eases-pain-while-keeping-mind-clear.html

I have lower back problems, the same as you do and in the same place. :woohoo: Pain? Is that what you call it? If it's only in one leg just wait a few years until it starts singing that with 'pain' thru both legs. Neuropathy is the name for the nerve damage that occurs.......:woohoo: Herb is one of the only things I use that doesn't make me feel dopey.........

Glad I could help......:D

Some Where In Ded Land.............;)

5. buzz

buzz New Member

I've lived with chronic pain in my back and left leg for 11 years now. Been on the pills like you. I have siactica that runs down my left leg that feels like I want to cut my leg off.

I found a great chriopractor. She use a electric ultrasound on my leg for a week now and it's cut my pain levels down 80%.

The evening is the worse but a little heat and I'm good to go.

If you can find an acunpunturist might give you some relief as well. Of course for me ain't nothing like a nice buzz and a hot tub:hail: after I see my docs

You might try strecthing also. It's a real bear when artrithis sets it:mad:

Good luck:D back pain sucks:(...........buzz

6. joshpackr

joshpackr Sr. Member

My dad had two herniated discs in his back that he was able to have corrected with surgery. Seems like surgery would be the best option if your back problems can be corrected that way.

7. ShortStalk

ShortStalk New Member

Thanks for all the feeback back fellas. They all help me come somewhat closer to a conclusion on what to do about it. ....I really don't want to try the surgery route... mainly money issues, but also work and the possiblity of it not working and still being stuck w/ a large debt. ...I have got to figure something out soon. ....I'm 21 w/ 2 bulging disks and a herniated disk... it's a major bummer. I got a wife a 2month old baby girl and a 7 yr old step daughter. ...Sucks to not be able to do the stuff I should be doing with them all. ...whatever. Just upsets me. Thanks again though.

I believe I will try the ganja and go from there. Sativa only strains at first because I need to be alert and attentive for my chosen profession.

Like I always say, Life ain't fair.... whatcha gonna do?! ;)

8. royalstud

royalstud New Member

I'm set to have surgery at the end of this month for a herniated disc. I too have the pain that goes down my legs. I've found pot to be a very effective pain reliever. I'm on my feet all day and when I come home and get high it definatly helps the pain and tension. I think it numbs the pain more than anything.

I was told by the Doc that there was a %70 chance of success with surgery. A %20 percent chance of no improvement. And %10 chance it could make it worse.

9. KiNg KoNG

KiNg KoNG New Member

im in the same boat with back problems, i have spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease. with 3 herniated discs, 2 budging discs, wtih pinched nerves to my right leg.. i had a very very painful and unsuccessful surgery to fix my back, but it didnt work and now i have to walk with a cane all the time and live with severe pain the rest of my life.. and im only in my 20s right now

2 people like this.
  10. royalstud

royalstud New Member

Well, I went through with the surgery. I am one week removed and feel WORSE than before. The Doc said it's most likely because of the swelling where the pinched nerve was worked on. I hope he is right. Some days feel better than others.

They sent home a list of directions to follow. One of the things that caught my eye was where it said not to smoke or breath in second hand smoke. They said NICOTINE may cause the spine to not heal as quickly or at all. It didnt say anything about Marijuana. Does anyone out there know if the same holds true for pot?

11. victoria stiles

victoria stiles New Member

We all know that rest can help reduce the pain you feel in your back. Provide you with a reminder not to make certain movements that will hurt you. Take the pressure off of your lower back, by increasing your intercavitary pressure. Promote healing with good posture and body mechanics.

12. mego

mego New Member

Dang all of this advice seems very helpful. I have a herniated L5 disk and its the same kinda thing but my pain was shooting down my right leg. I have gotten a cortizone shot which helped so much! and am heading in on thursday to get another one.

I'm 18 and was supposed to be playing field hockey in college, but now thats not going to happen. and I also a yoga instuctor but now I can't even do much yoga any more:/ so I totally know how bummed you must feel.

I've found that swimming and ridding the recumbent bike at the gym help out my back and leg so much! I guess because it gets your circulation moving and also gives me something fun to do while also losening up the area. I was never much of a swimmer but after taking the time to learn it seriously changed my whole experience with my injury.
    Hope this helps!

Gratefully, Mego

Namaste:)