How do I harvest, manicure, dry, and cure properly

Discussion in 'Growing Topics' started by planehopr, Dec 11, 2011.

1. planehopr

planehopr New Member

I've been reading tons of info on how to harvest, manicure, dry, and cure my buds. I have 9 plants...I suppose I'll have 9-18 ounces of dry buds, I really can't tell. All of this is overwhelming me because I don't have any friends who can walk me through my first time in person.

Can someone give me a step by step run down or timeline on how to accomplish this properly. I was planning on stringing clothesline in a dark room to hang the plants upside down. This is my first time making it this far and I don't want to screw it up.

Also there is confusion on how long to dry and cure. I inferred from my medical marijuana delivery driver that they don't wait more than a week to dry and cure. I have a book in hand that says to do it properly drying and curing can take a couple months to develop the buds taste, smell, feel, high, etc.

I want to do it right. But I don't want to wait forever either...When I pass my buds to these drivers, I want customers to say they are some of the highest quality buds around town. I believe in quality, I don't need the money...and I don't want to rush it.

2. PussyMoneyWeed

PussyMoneyWeed New Member

outdoor or indoor?

3. PussyMoneyWeed

Harvesting, curing your outdoor cannabis plants. On large crops, this is accomplished by constructing a drying box or drying room. You must have a heat source (such as an electric heater) which will make the box/room at around 130 degrees Fahrenheit or dry it in a well ventilated room over warm airy days.

The box/room must be ventilated to carry off the water-vapor-laden air and replace it with fresh. We suggest drying in sheds, well ventilated rooms or outside under thick trees so it does not get direct sunlight. Drying will take many days and drying it faster will just ruin your organic outdoor buds. More outdoor drying ideas.
    WHAT I SUGGEST :
    A quick cure for smaller amounts is to run a piece of string across your bathroom or shed and hang the plants up. Keep the location well ventilated and away from prying neighbours noses, you might be used to the smell but they aren’t!

You can also dry marijuana in the oven, not a great method as you risk vaporizing the buds!

4. planehopr

planehopr New Member

Indoor...under 600W HPS and grown in Coco Coir with General Hydroponics Nutes.

5. PussyMoneyWeed

Hydroponics Harvest/Cure/Drying Guide

As with drying out your harvest it is important not to let impatience get the better of you. It is impossible to give an exact time for this as it varies from strain to strain. Normally you can count on 2 – 3 months. The only way to know the right time to harvest is through careful observation.

As the female flowers grow they form heavy kolas or cones. You will notice each ovary swell and tiny crystals will be visible around the flowers. The flowers will become sticky to the touch and the aroma will become pungent. As the flowers swell the white pistils begin to darken, growing from white to a reddish brown.

During this time some of the larger fan leaves will begin to yellow and wilt. This is a perfectly natural part of the grow stage. It is OK to remove these leaves and allow more light to the lower parts of the plant.

It is also a good idea to flush the plants with clean, nutrient-free water once during the flowering phase and again after 6 weeks and then again just before harvesting. This will help remove any build up of fertilisers within the plants or growing medium, making for a cleaner smoke.

Drying your Marijuana
    Remove all extraneous leaves from the plants leaving only the buds. Hang your plants upside down from a wire or string in a cool dark room with plenty of air movement. Buds that are forced to dry too quickly retain some of their chlorophyll giving a harsh ‘green’ taste. Allow around 4 – 7 days to dry thoroughly. You can check them by squeezing the buds between your fingers and thumb. When they are dry you should seal them in an airtight jar or bag. For the next few days you should allow them to breathe for 15 minutes twice a day. This cures the buds, ensuring all water is removed and giving the buds a smooth, sweet taste and ensuring an even burn.

6. pHAETON

pHAETON New Member

I come in at the other end of the spectrum. I have a three day minimum to hang.
    For those three days I pretend I am not at home. There is no dispensary system in Alaska, even though it is legal in the home without a medical card.
    I grow a strain for mixing with prescription drugs and the finer nuances of taste are not what the users are looking for.

Context is everything in drying and curing just as it is in growing. Three days neutralizes the acids and full potency is available.
    One man cures his at his home, he stays two months ahead and smokes from the cured jar, way better tasting, no question about that.

Stronger is debatable, debatable is unsure. So no.
    Smooth pot = bigger hits, bigger hit = more stone. So yes.
    I smoke, I get confused.

I have arthritus, so I hire an extra set of hands or two if the harvest is over five ounces. I find it tedious and time consuming, a good trim takes me over an hour per ounce, more with the sativa. With help it all gets done the same day.

Your own bud will taste better, same as your own baby is cuter. OK, that part is waiting.

4 people like this.
  7. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Cranched Scanner

I hang mine until the the bud gets dry&crunchy to the touch

then i put it in the curing jar until the moisture in the steam seeps out into the buds and rehydrates them.

Then i take it out and let dry again. i just repeat as needed until the steam snaps when you try to bend it and the buds get nice and firm but not too dry.

then they go into the curing jars which i open and mix-up every couple of days to let fresh air in

a completely dry bud will weigh 1/4 the weight of a freshly harvested bud. A well dried bud's steam should bend a tiny amount then "snap"

5 people like this.