How do I make this go away??

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by W3stC0ast1in, Mar 25, 2006.

1. W3stC0ast1in

W3stC0ast1in New Member

Whenever I smoke, my heart starts beating a extreme pace, I know this is common but I become way to concerned about it. I usually become conscious about it when I sit down and "try" to relax. Is the increased heart rate just something I'm paying to much attention to or is it a real concern?? Funny thing is that after it's all over I want to smoke again so that I can try to get over the whole heart thing. Any ideas how I can not pay attention to my heart back?? Usually I just coach myself through it, telling myself that this happens all the time and I'll get over it but I think this just ruins my high. So obviously my high is the best when my heart is accelerated. I'm jealus of the people who can just sit back and enjoy their high, any advice?

2. Richi

Richi CB1 receptor agonist

Increased heart rate is just something that marijuana does, along with bloodshot eyes and relaxed muscles. It's nothing to worry about unless you have a heart problem, which your doctor would be able to diagnose. Your senses are also heightened, so you would notice it more than normally.

3. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

Marijuana makes your heart beat faster. It also makes your imagination run wild. You just need to find something else upon which to focus your attention.

2 people like this.
  4. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

Smoke much less than you are smoking.

You don't require as much to get "stoned" as someone else. Why waste it?

It is not a "competitive sport"

5. Cassius

Cassius Seasoned Activist

If you are concerned about your heartbeat and pay attention to it when it's elevated, it's only going to make it worse because as you experience anxiety your body naturally produces adrenaline which will elevate your heartrate even further.

My suggestion would be for the next few smoking sessions to listen to some good music during the high. You don't have to turn it up so loud it damages your hearing, but if it is at a decent volume and you begin to pay attention to that, your grooving with the music will distract you from your hearbeat.

If you do a few sessions where you pay no attention to your heartbeat because you're listening to music, it might make you comfortable enough with the stoned feeling that you will then be able to be stoned without music and not have your heartbeat worry you. The key is distraction.

6. tommie

tommie New Member

hahahaha :D :D :D

7. nopotential

nopotential New Member

Try eating it instead if your that worried about it.

8. mufasa5446

mufasa5446 New Member

i was like that too when i first started smoking, an i found that if you just listen to some good music (i found bob marley worked amazingly well! ^.^ haha!) a few times, you get used to being in that state and comfertable with it. no problems since

9. HerrSmokes

HerrSmokes New Member

actually, marijuana dosent always give you bloodshot eyes...

my eyes used to get red...now i can sit down and smoke myself to mars and back and have perfectly white eyes....

who knew....

10. mondaymonkey

mondaymonkey Sr. Member

Thats the part of calmly smoking weed I love! The massive rush of adreniline or THC that just hits me smack in the face and increases my pulse. Everything I do seems to become far more important, and menial tasks become a life or death adventure story in my imagination

6 people like this.
  11. mondaymonkey

mondaymonkey Sr. Member

I find that bongs and to a certain extent pipe seem to stop the red eye. Joints and blunts will give you red eye to the sky

12. weedidas

weedidas New Member

Blood shot eyes depend on THC. THC is a vaso dilator(dilates blood vessels) so the more THC you get, the more your eyes get red. I think you can also build a tolerance to this.

For the OP, I get extreme anxiety sometimes when I get high. The only thing I find that helps is to do sometheing that occupies your mind. Listen to good music, go for a walk and just examine everything you see and try to forget about yourself. Know that it will be over in about a half hour or so. You can also do something called emotional freedom technique (youtube it) and it's tapping pressure points on your body that help calm you down and might lower your heartrate.

2 people like this.
  13. Merry-juana

Merry-juana Sr. Member

Just remember even though your hart is beating faster, your blood pressure is lower, so your hart is working no harder/even less hard than it has been, because it doesn't exert the same force to make your blood flow. If your hart was really working harder then weed would have killed someone by now, I mean hart conditions are extremely common and by now if it really was a problem at all, even for people with hart conditions, someone would have died by now, but not even someone who has a hart disease has died from pot.

14. sharkykar

sharkykar New Member

i used to get that feeling when i first started but after a while i began to get used to it. lol i started thinking of friday when they first light up on craigs porch and he's like...."what's that? can your hear it?" when he is hearing his heart rate. But like everyone has mentioned you just get more relaxed and more attentive of yourself. I usually turn on a video game or listen to some music and it's all solved!.

15. weedidas

weedidas New Member

I have a common heart/nervous system condition called mitral valve prolapse (2% of the population have it), and I have gotten pretty baked a few times and got extreme anxiety so I also had an adrenaline rush and my pulse was at about 200 and I never died.:D But I kinda quite outa fear of "possibility" of what COULD happen which gives me panic attacks whenever I tried getting high so I had to stop... It's probably safe but I got a mental block If it werent for the anxiety Id still be getting high. :(

16. Merry-juana

Merry-juana Sr. Member

^Try a more of an indica dominant strain.

17. Pretty.Girl.Swag329

Pretty.Girl.Swag329 New Member

I Smoke About 5-13 Blunts A Day. I Dont Smoke Bowls/Bongs, And Only A Joint Here And There Because My Dads An Old School Smoker. My Eyes Never Get Red... Not Even At First. They Just Get Really Low So My Eyes Look Like There Closed. My Heart Rate Used To Spike Though And Then I Started Trying To Focus On Other Things ( I Draw So I Always Felt Way More Creative When I Was High ) Or Listen To Music. Maybe Go For A Walk. Dont Just Sit There And Focus On It. The More You Focus On It Itll Seem Worse Then What It Really Is.

18. clint902

clint902 Sr. Member

I have a few puffs when I get home from work to calm me down because I have a very stressful job. I don't notice an increase in heartbeat till I go to bed. You folks talk about smoking bowls, blunts and joints but as far back as I can remember, 3 or 4 puffs from my pipe was all I needed. I guess we're all different

19. bhoward

bhoward New Member

MAN i so agree. I hang with a group of friends where smoking is not only a social affair but also the illusion that 1G is "not a lot" of weed. haha I kind of think its funny how ill spend 20 dollars on a gram and make it last like 4 or 5 days and someone els just threw a gram on a blunt throw-down with 5 people in the circle. Its fun to do that but not twice a day haha
    ;)

20. When my heart beats excessively i just lie down and drink some water and breath... its hardly noticeable for me though...