How do you remove a whammy bar?

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by Lurkerboy (T), Jun 29, 2011.

1. Lurkerboy (T)

Lurkerboy (T) Sr. Member

Just got my new guitar yesterday, I think she's a beaut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's pretty rad, my first real working electric guitar. I bought another guitar last year but it broke within a couple weeks...anyways, my question is about the whammy bar. How do I remove it? I've been told that guitars with whammy bars are difficult to keep in tune all the time, which is annoying to me. :cool:

Just got White Rhino and it's feeling good...been a long time since I've had a named strain. :p

Oh yeah and the guitar is a 1982 Ibanez Roadstar II Series RG 135 MIJ...paid $200 for the guitar w/ case.

2. simon_james

simon_james Sr. Member

My brother used to play an Ibanez years ago. I think that the whammy bar is just kept on with a bolt underneath. The same brother ended up going to Joe Lado's guitar school to make his own instruments. I'll Facebook him tonight and ask about your Ibanez to make sure.

2 people like this.
  3. Drew420

Drew420 New Member

Yeah, I think Ibanez trems have a nut or bolt or something. They don't just screw out like Fender style deals.

4. CouchPotato

CouchPotato Cotch Supreme

Most guitars which can use a whammy having a "floating bridge" (The thing you whammy is attached to) Basically, the bridge is only secured on one side so that it can move when using the whammy. Basically, because of the bridge on your guitar, it wont stay in tune as long as most guitars regardless of whether or not the whammy is actually on or not. However, using the whammy too often will stretch the strings and put it out of tune.

Basically, it's not the whammy itself, it's just guitars which can use a whammy generally go out of tune more often (Someone correct me on this, pretty sure you have to have a floating bridge for a whammy to work, right?)

Basically, as long as the whammy isn't in the way and you're not using it by accident, keeping it on or taking it off wont change the time it takes to go out of tune.

My guitar has a whammy, and has a floating bridge, and it honestly doesn't go out of tune as quickly as some people make out. However, if it's a new guitar, it's likely to go out of tune a lot at first because of the new strings.

Edit: As for removing it, I'm not sure, some guitars remove it differently. Mine simply screws itself into the bridge.

5. Drew420

Drew420 New Member

If you have a floating whammy, it should probably be a locking system, like a floyd, or a kahler... Those never go out of tune if you set them up right.

6. Lurkerboy (T)

Lurkerboy (T) Sr. Member

Well that sucks. This is my first electric (I've been playing acoustic for around 8 months), and I hate that I'll have to watch it that carefully. Hopefully it'll still be fun to play.

7. Lurkerboy (T)

Lurkerboy (T) Sr. Member

I could really use a video demonstration on how to perform this procedure. Does anyone know of a YouTube vid or something that elaborates on the details?

8. dmike03

dmike03 New Member

Yeah, looking at the pics he posted it's not a locking trem. So it pretty much has a trem like a strat. If you use the the whammy a lot, it will definitely go out of tune. The best I can recommend is you should have a plastic cover on the back of the guitar...it will be in the middle. You can take that off and you should see 2 or 3 springs and on each side there should be a screw. those are to adjust the bridge...and if you tighten them it should start to lower the bridge. And if you want you can bring the bridge down against the body of the guitar and just leave it that way, so it would function like a fixed bridge.

9. Drew420

Drew420 New Member

You can just unscrew it on that guitar... I didn't realize until a day ago that I have to turn off adblock to see pics hosted on imageshack, sorry about that. No need to deck the tremolo unless you're not going to use it, but the guitar will stay in tune a bit better. Just know you're going to have to play with the action a bit if you do that.

10. dmike03

dmike03 New Member

I was just saying he could do that, cuz if he wants to remove the bar he probably will never use it. and to help keep it in tune better he could fix the bridge. But your right.....he will definitely have to have it set up after doing that.

That's why I tell my beginner students to not get a guitar with a trem on it as their first electric. It is a lot harder to keep them playing good. and if you don't know what you're doing...changing strings will be a b**ch.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkj8p4Z3Rjg"]YouTube - ‪How to block off a tremolo - Hardtail an electric guitar‬‏[/ame]

That's a link to explain how to block the trem if you would like. And I watch this guys vids all the time and he is a trip....especially if you're stoned

2 people like this.
  11. Drew420

Drew420 New Member

I don't dig Chapper's playing, but he is a pretty smart dude.

Noobs should buy a Tele or SG...

12. Lurkerboy (T)

Lurkerboy (T) Sr. Member

I had an Epiphone SG, but it broke after like two weeks. So that sucks :p

13. Stoned_Penguin

Stoned_Penguin Sr. Member

I think people kind of make it out to be a big deal when it isn't. I took my whammy bar off for a few weeks and it didn't stay in tune any better than when it was on.