How long before K9s will smell REMOVED weed?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by MonarchX, May 11, 2008.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX New Member

One of my parents work in a classified high security area where dogs sometimes smell cars 3-4 times a day. People there are not protected by law just like in "civil areas". If a dog gives a sign that it smells dugs - you'r going to jail and you are losing your job EVEN IF no drugs are found (possession is not required).

I did not know this until last night and I had some quarters in that car! They are no longer there, but I am afraid the dogs will smell some remainder (dust)! I cleaned up the place with alcohol napkins, but I am still scared the dogs will smell it.

Should this car pretty much be never taken to that zone again?
  2. pkster8235

pkster8235 Lazy Dancer

You can get charged for possession when you aren't even possessing anything? Wow
  3. phuzz01

phuzz01 Sr. Member

Nobody can give you an answer, because it completely depends on the circumstances. Air flow, temperature, humidity, how long it was there, what type of surface it was on, etc. It could be anywhere from hours to months.
    2 people like this.
  4. MonarchX

MonarchX New Member

It was wrapped in a plastic baggy, placed in a pill container, wrapped in 2 more plastic bags, placed in the middle of clothing which was in a big suitcase and all that was in the trunk for maybe 2-3 hours max.

If my parents loses this job goes to jail - bye bye job for him, bye bye our house, bye bye my college...

Environment here is hot and humid.
  5. phuzz01

phuzz01 Sr. Member

Like I said, I can't really give you a specific amont of time, because it depends on so many factors. But if it was a small amount that was only in there for a few hours, and it was inside a suitcase that has been removed, the odor shouldn't stay in there all that long.
  6. MonarchX

MonarchX New Member

Thanks for help, man. We'll clean it up big time.
  7. Trocisp

Trocisp Guest

I seriously doubt you can be charged with possession without actually possessing something.

You might loose your job, but I seriously doubt he'd be charged with anything.
  8. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

What crime would you be charged with? Possession of the aroma of marijuana? There is no such law.

I have my doubts that that's legal. I know it wouldn't hold up in court. A dog alert is not admissible as evidence. If they need grounds for firing an employee, I don't see how they could use a dog alert.
  9. Trocisp

Trocisp Guest

If you're in an at-will state, they could fire you 'at-will.' However, if there's any documentation or anyone says "you're fired because..." and they mention nothing more than an alert, you can easily sue for wrongful termination.
  10. MonarchX

MonarchX New Member

Maybe its a part of the contract, but there were people arrested for the smell of marijuana and fired for it. Yes, its a government job, but its VERY high security and they have a right to even monitor your home phone. They interrogate one of my parents once in a while.

It is possible that if there is smell of Marijuana then they drug test you and find out you do drugs - you get fired. Post-incident drug testing is quite common.
  11. Trocisp

Trocisp Guest

Post-incident drug testing isn't just common, it's 99.9% - it's how companies, agencies, etc cover their collective asses.

I still seriously doubt anyone was arrested. :shrug:
  12. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

That's why I said, "If they need grounds for firing an employee".

That sounds much more realistic. Assuming that your parents don't use illegal drugs, they should be in the clear.

With your description of where the drugs were and for how long, I doubt that there would be any detectable residual smell. I'll give it a try with my own drug-sniffing dog. He's been trained to find people with a bag in their pocket. I find that very useful. :D
  13. Trocisp

Trocisp Guest

Note to self: If you ever meet buzzby in person, leave the big sack at home. :rofl2:
  14. MonarchX

MonarchX New Member

Its ironic that you mention that...bc that parent who works there used to be a grower, dealer, and producer and had a sniffing dog that would run around campus and find weed all the time and bring it back! That was back in 60s or 70s though.
  15. $moKeDanK

$moKeDanK Sr. Member

bring out tha fabreeze
  16. troublemaker420

troublemaker420 New Member

I'm sorry,. but some of the claims here just don't make sense :shrug:
  17. MonarchX

MonarchX New Member

Well, look. One dude was driving and smoking a joint and he finished it completely. he car stunk, the dog smelled it, and he was arrested and fired. What charges? No idea! Was he found guilty of something? No idea, but he WAS arrested and fired.

The same happened to another guy who wasn't even smoking but apparently dog smelled something and the same thing happened.

Its a facility where nuclear weapons are made. Maybe its a very specific safety hazard thing.
  18. Darque Pervert

Darque Pervert Jive Honkey

You don't say what he was arrested for, either.
    It could be possession. It could be DUI. Either way, I can see an employer firing someone for being charged with either.
    Sure, it sucks, but it is the perogative of the employer to maintain a workforce with no legal issues. It's perfectly legal for an employer to fire an employee who is charged with a crime, even if they are ultimately found not guilty

I think this should be a lesson to anyone reading, honestly.
    KEEP YOUR WEED OUT OF YOUR CAR!

It's a government agency, which says a lot. Considering it's such a sensitive position, doubly so.
  19. Chronik

Chronik New Member

My dad has a top secret clearance...While I doubt that they will lose their job they can most CERTAINLY lose a security clearance for suspicious circumstances which can lead to losing a job for not having that clearance. While I think you're probably fine, and your parents would honestly be able to pass a polygraph (having no knowledge it was there) please think of this in the future. TS clearances are all but impossible to regain and can ruin a career
  20. Sofa King

Sofa King It's Good to be the KING.

I gotta call BULLSHIT on this one.
    There is a little thing called the Constitution. Rights are rights whether you work for the government or not. Sure, getting fired for failing a drug test, happens all the time. I've got no problem with that one. Getting arrested for an odor, PLEASE. It seems odd that you started off making an emphatic statement like
    Then as soon as your challenged on it, you come up with
    and I don't think I need to say anything about this statement.
    There is some smoke being blown, and it's not the good kind.
    Of course this is just my opinion. Hell, maybe I'm wrong.;)
    2 people like this.