How long does a drug test take using GC/MS

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by fiddlah, Mar 26, 2009.

1. fiddlah

fiddlah New Member

Hi,
    I have been in a pain center for 3 years due to a car accident. Recently at the end of February 09 I was dismissed from the center for testing positive for THC. First the center tested my UA in their inhouse lab and secondly they sent it out to another lab to have it confirmed using GC/MS technology. That as well came back positive. This is why they dismissed me. Well to make a long story short. The Dr knows I need his assistance and I was about to undergo a procedure for my back pain. Its a brand new procedure, so the Dr has to cross his T's and dot his i's. He allowed me to restest. I took the test exactly 22 days after the last time I smoked. Before the test, I ran 3 sepearate in-home tests, including one 1st thing in the morning the day of the 2nd test. All 3 showed negative with the in-home tests. I am presuming they first did the in-house lab test and it came back negative, BUT they had to send it out to the other lab for confirmation to back the Dr's ass up. I was told by his nurse that the results would take just about a week. It has been 1 week today. I called the nurse and asked if she could call the lab and get my results. She informed me that the center had to wait on them to send the results and that the center had to go by their protocol (which I think I've been BS'd) *Certainly they can call and have at least the THC result faxed, but they wont. Does anyone know how long it takes for an outside lab, on average to fax results back to a pain care center? Also, I'm sure they did the inhouse lab and it turned up negative, otherwise they would have sent me a letter or called and told me "That's it, you're done here" or something to that effect.... any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    ps: I live in NH and they just passed legalizing Marijuana for medical use... this whole thing is rediculous! ~peace :confused:

2. Plainsman1963

Plainsman1963 New Member

I used to work in a SAT lab (substance abuse testing) lab and here is the insight I can offer you on the process of TAT (turn-around-time) for reporting of results.
    1. the courier delivers the sample to our lab day one.
    2. day 2 it it logged into the lab info system by the sample accessioner and assigned a barcode ID that verifies it's in-house.
    3. day 3: it is held for 3 to 5 days in order to batch process with the numerous other urine and blood samples; the reason this is done is to reduce the cost of the test--it costs less$ to run the sample in a batch with 100 other samples than to run one test singly.
    4. day 6: the sample is sent from the refrigerator to the lab toxicology chemist (myself); there the sample is extracted and purified along with negative controls and positive controls and blank urine.
    5. day 7: the sample is sent in a vial to the "confirmations station" where the GC/MS instruments are located and run in batch with other samples.
    6. day 8: the results are produced.
    7. day 9: the results are reviewed and verified by the 'quality assurance" dep't.
    8. day 10: the results are reported back to the client company and should be available to you.
    So, the TAT is usually 10 days.
    Also, since you last time you got high was 22 days ago it's likely the THC level in your urine has declined below the cutoff level as specified by NIDA. But this is variable depending on your metabolism, fat content, and how much weed you smoke 22 days ago, how much water you drank prior to the test (by diluting the urine). Most say that it takes 20 to 30 days for the THC content to fall below the cutoff--which at the time I was involved with SAT was 15 ng/uL. At least though, you should be relieved that they are not doing a hair strand test--as the sensitivity of it is around 2 ng/uL. So, all in all---you ought to recieve your results by Monday or Tues next week.
    Useful info 4 u?

2 people like this.
  3. fiddlah

fiddlah New Member

Thank you so much Researcher, although I noticed the cutoff for the inhouse was 50ng's but for some strange reason the sut-off for the GC/MS test was 10 ngs.... Now lemme explain to you, what kind of user I was. I smoked 4-5 times a week.... maybe 3-4 hits. I also am 5'11" 165 lbs with a high metabolism. I drank my regular 2-3 bottles of water and I bottle of gatorade the day of the 2nd test. I took the test at about 1:20pm in the afternoon,,,but that morning, before I did anything, I did the at home test by pharmatech, which they claim is 99.9% accurate. Do you still think I have a decent chance? Thanks again , so much ~Peace~

4. fiddlah

fiddlah New Member

ps: I passed that morning test and excuse the typos please *s

2 people like this.
  5. Plainsman1963

Plainsman1963 New Member

whew! I'm glad you passed that A.M. test---keep on drinking plenty of water to dilute your urine, do regular exercising to keep the cellular and lipid metabolism turning over in your body tissues, and abstaining from blazin until the test results come back. Then we can both Celebrate!
    p/s I replied to your other msg : )