How long is urine good if kept in the fridge?

Discussion in 'Urine Testing' started by Bearsfan420, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Bearsfan420

Bearsfan420 New Member

i will have a test by next friday for sure (within 7 days) and was wondering if it would be ok to keep the sub sample in the fridge as opposed to freezing? i appreciate this site and thank anyone who helps me out in advance, J
  2. Locutus

Locutus New Member

yes, according to the sticky theads at the top of this forum, it would be fine in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks. check them out for more tips, good luck
  3. Bearsfan420

Bearsfan420 New Member

I apologize, i spent hours parousing the sticky's before i even registered, guess i didnt look hard enough, anyhow, thanks again, J
  4. sonups

sonups New Member

if you have it

think ahead
    do freeze a few more samples
    if you can
    [espically if you are providing the sample
    fill up a six pack of those "mini" soda bottles
    (you know those little 6oz bottles...)
    freeze them for later use, yourslef or friends...]
    you will be glad you did
    unless you have access to "clean" pee all the time...
  5. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

You have been given some bad advice.

Room temp = 8 hours

Refrigerator = 2 days

Freezer = 1 year

If you keep your sample in the refrigerator for a week it will go bad.
  6. Bearsfan420

Bearsfan420 New Member

glad i rechecked this, so i moved the sample from the fridge to the freezer after about 10 hours in the fridge, should it still be ok now?
  7. Locutus

Locutus New Member

my apologies, this is new info to me as i was going by what IamN2Pot used to always say... has that been proven incorrect now?

http://www.marijuana.com/420/showthread.php?t=37982
    http://www.marijuana.com/420/showthread.php?t=37879
    http://www.marijuana.com/420/showthread.php?t=37992
  8. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

It looks like you're right and I'm wrong. I'm sorry about that.

Now I'll have to try and figure out where I came up with that "2 days under refrigeration" idea. I know I didn't just make it up. Can anyone help me out here? I've been telling people that for a long time and this is the first time anyone has challenged it. Thanks! I'm glad that I've erred on the side of caution rather than the other way around.

Here's one source that supports the "2 days under refrigeration" figure:

http://refrigeration.notlong.com
  9. Secs

Secs New Member

Buzzby, I am not at all sure about refrigerated urine, but room temperature only 8 hours?

When I do urine collections, sometimes I collect after hours in the evenings (reasonable suspicion or post accident). The specimen sits in my facility (in the "out box") until the delivery service comes the next day (after 4:00 p.m.). Then it is put on a plane and flown to whatever lab it is destined for. That means the specimen (urine) has been sitting at my facility for up to 20 hours, then on a plane for ???, then at the lab for a few hours while it is cataloged and tested. All at room temp (except for the plane ride in the cargo hold). None have ever come back to me as "no good" or "expired".

I actually have no idea how long urine can be kept at room temp, refrigerated, or frozen. I do know that I keep urine longer than 8 hours until the delivery service gets here. Most collection sites have scheduled pick up once per day with their delivery service. Maybe someone who works at a lab or has done some research into this subject can shed some light on the subject for us.
  10. Hawg

Hawg Sr. Member

i have always heard a week in the fridge but like you Buzzby i am not sure where I came across that info either. As far as room temp, Sec3 might know but do the collection sites have a test to tell how long? I thought someone said the proteins in the urine start breaking down after so long at room temp. Maybe since it was collected at an accredited collection site they do not test it to see if it has been setting around. Not sure just some random thoughts.