How long will my withdraw symptoms last?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by InfectedWithMJ, Aug 30, 2008.

1. InfectedWithMJ

InfectedWithMJ New Member

Hey everyone! This is my first and hopefully the only thread.

I have been smoking marijuana for years but on very occasional bases. I would say 6-10 times per year. I did not notice any withdraw effects after smoking it.

This summer I was really bored and had some extra $$$ laying around. I bought an ounce of great ganja and smoked 4-5 bowls a day for a month. I would come from work and smoke away until I passed out and woke up the next day.

I quit cold turkey because I don't have time and money for it right now. About 2 days after I quit I began having headaches. They are not migraines, but tension headaches. It has been 7 days since I last toked and these headaches have not gone. They are not really bad but they do prevent me from sleeping and I can feel them. Sometimes it head tension without the ache but closer to the evening I can feel the ache.

The one and only time I had such headaches before was when I quit coffee but those headaches lasted 3 days or so.

I've read online (somewhere...) that marijuana dilates your blood vessels (just like coffee) and this is why I have headaches after quitting cold turkey. I also did take one hit a few days ago and that hit did remove my headaches for a day but then it started again.

Is that so? Will these headaches eventually pass? How much longer do I have to wait?
  2. Herbania

Herbania Don't fear the reefer

In the past,for me it takes about one week to two. I never got headaches from quitting, but I do get short tempered and cant sleep well during that time. At the end of two weeks it's gone for me.

I'd like to say calling it withdraw symptoms is a bit much. You're agitated because you cant smoke and wont be getting the buzz you've become accustomed to relieving your stress. I've had REAL withdraws from offtopic drugs in the 80's(subject of 90% of miami vice episodes ). There really is no comparison. Unless you're one of those people that can get addicted to anything, you should have no problem.

It sounds like you were hitting it harder than usual, it probably would have been better to ween yourself off it, smoke less and less then quit, than to go cold turkey after a binge. So you're going from a very high level of thc for your experience to zero now. If after the binge you just smoked a doob a day for a week, your levels would have cut down a bit and it wouldn't have been such drastic change when you quit. Just my take, I'm no expert.

Now if your headaches continue for more than two weeks or so, consider it may just be coincidence and it may be an entirely different problem unrelated to your herb use and consider getting help if you're concerned about it.

Hope you feel better. I get a few stress headaches myself, and what works the best for me is an ice pack at the base of my skull on the back of my neck. I found that to be about the best cure for a headache and works in a few minutes.
    6 people like this.
  3. powhitetrashomie

powhitetrashomie New Member

tension

The pot relieves the tension so you don't have the headaches. You stop smoking you feel the tension more than ever, headaches come back in force. You'll adjust... nobody jones forever.
  4. shibshib

shibshib New Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... but marijuana has no "withdraw symptoms" because it is chemically non-addictive.

Whatever you are experiencing is either due to some other factor or its all mental.
  5. powhitetrashomie

powhitetrashomie New Member

Agree

I think more a period of adjustment, both physically and mentally. No one is going to shake and get the sweats or whatever. No one is going to go out and rob a bank to get some when they're out. But most people do tend to get a little grouchy when they don't have it... maybe just cause they LIKE it. Don't know anyone in my 35 years of using that ever went through withdrawl.
  6. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

For a small percentage of the population, marijuana does appear to have slight addictive properties. Not like heroin, crack, or alcohol. More like coffee. If you're used to drinking coffee every day and you quit cold, you're likely to have a mild headache for a few days.

If it goes on for more than a few days, I'd suspect that the effects are psychosomatic, not biochemical.
    6 people like this.
  7. Bhikku

Bhikku News Administrator

I've experienced "withdrawal" from marijuana upon quitting it before, but it is always a very minor ordeal, like quitting caffeine. It makes me prone to headaches, irritability, and a generally brooding attitude for about three days to a week. Then I'm over it.

The headaches should eventually go away though. The blood vessel dilation is one thing, but I also I think the mental friction in going between different states of consciousness (stoned to completely sober) is another reason for the discomfort. Your mind, after being used to a stoned consciousness for a period, has to suddenly think of the world from a sober perspective again. Done abruptly, it makes the mind "sore" in my experience.

But your short term memory does get better. So at least that's something. :D
    2 people like this.
  8. InfectedWithMJ

InfectedWithMJ New Member

It has been 9 days now and it is much better but still not gone. I did overuse weed this summer. I was super-stoned. The whole summer was like ah...blur.
  9. mondaymonkey

mondaymonkey Sr. Member

this summer I used to smoke a huge amount everynight before bed. I quite cold turkey cuz of a possible test. Plus I was traveling and have to clean my stuff for travel. I didn't bring any ganja with me,... so its been 3 days and I could use a bit of ganja, but im fine without it
  10. Plainsman1963

Plainsman1963 New Member

All of these reports make good sense that 'withdrawal sympta are short-lived; and it's not a gateway drug.