how to tell if soil is good

Discussion in 'Growing Topics' started by bbpiswatiuse, May 2, 2011.

1. bbpiswatiuse

bbpiswatiuse New Member

how to tell if the soil near the pond in my woods is good. im going about 3 to 4 feet from the water line.

2. Textual Violence

Textual Violence New Member

take a Ph reading.

3. medme

medme Sr. Member

what are you using to even worry about that? buy potting soil and use a good fertilizer as needed! and try reading...

4. stoneygreenbud

stoneygreenbud Super Moderator

You might want to elaborate on your question, are you referring to soil in your yard? or bagged potting soil. Either way, a ph test kit will come in handy for you.

~Stoney~

5. CivilMinded

CivilMinded New Member

Put some worms in your soil, if they stick around, I call it good. Of course, if there are already worms in your soil, it's even better.

6. bbpiswatiuse

bbpiswatiuse New Member

srry everyone i meant outdoor soil. its near a pond in the back of my woods. maybe 3 to 4 feet from the rim of the pond is where i want evrything to go. sp how can i tell if that soil would be good

7. CivilMinded

CivilMinded New Member

same thing with the worms if they are there, or stay there when you put them in the soil, the soils good. The only thing I would worry about is sun light. If the grow spot is by or near the woods, the tall trees can steal sunlight. It might be good sunlight now, but depending on where you live, the trees will grow their leafs back and take up even more sunlight.

8. bbpiswatiuse

bbpiswatiuse New Member

alright. and its fine about the light. i found a gap inbetween the trees. also thanks for the worm tips. the soil with the most worms is working quite well

9. Buds_Of_Steele

Buds_Of_Steele Your Undisputed Disputer

whats the water level compared to the soil level? Plants need the soil that they grow in to dry out and rehydrate regularly. When soil is saturated with water, the plant can drink up this water along with nutrients from the soil, but the roots can't really breathe, when the soil dries out, the roots have a chance to breathe.

To be safe I'd say you want about 3-4 feet of soil before you hit the water table, cannabis grows a very extensive root system. the main tap root often reaches lengths of 3-4 feet or more in the later stages of outdoor growth.

to check if your soil is good, dig some up and let it sit out in the sun and dry. now take some and break it apart. if you find it to be hard to break apart, very dry and very compact, this means the soil has a lot of clay in it, which is hard for roots to penetrate, but to a certain extent cannabis can tolerate this. If it practically falls apart in your hand, the soil is very sandy, and this is problematic as sand does not retain nutrients well, with each rainfall they'll just get picked up by the water which then drains out of the sandy soil. The perfect soil is somewhere in the middle.

Another good test, after that first one is to dampen the soil. Now pick some up and mold it into a ball. it should be able to retain its shape on its own, and yet crumble when you apply pressure to it.

Hope this helps man. Happy growing!

10. johnny-0

johnny-0 New Member

Get some good growing soil and some perlite(MJ) likes dry feet. Perlite is perfect for this.For a 4-5 month grow do yourself a favor and start with digging a big as. hole and filling with your prepared soil.The rest will take care of itself.Number 1 mistake is watering to often .Grow-on