I don't think I can smoke pot anymore

Discussion in 'Places and People' started by SilverEclipse, Mar 31, 2008.

1. SilverEclipse

SilverEclipse New Member

For a good while after high school and through college I was a pretty regular smoker, but I have come to the conclusion I can no longer smoke pot, but I'm not really sure.

Back when I was a freshman I developed severe anxiety and depression based more on irrational thought and paranoid delusion than anything (existential questions, life and death, etc.) . Throughout my life there'd be times where it had little no effect on my life, and then times were it completely disabled me to the point where I was unable to function, although it had been a long, long time (3-4 years) since it was that severe. One thing that seemed to trigger anxiety for me sometimes was getting TOO high. You know, blowing through bowl after bowl in a relatively short amount of time. Not really atypical of a lot of people. But a few months ago it came to the point where I was with a few friends and all it took to throw me in a completely paranoid state was a few hits. The kind of state where you start wondering about reality and existence and all that stuff and are prone to having a freak out or something. It's depressing for me, because my friends and I (my new ones in college and my old ones from back home) all used to share that kind of thing in common, smoking once in awhile and having a good time. I can't even do that anymore and I really don't understand why.

I don't know if that a warning sign of a bigger anxiety problem or if it's my body just telling me to stop altogether? I thought maybe someone here has had a similar experience.
  2. Lua

Lua New Member

I dunno if it is showing you bigger problems or not, but I doubt it.

I know the anxiety you are talking about though, I used to get it when I'd smoke TOO much when I first started smoking. I once got so stoned I felt sympathy for every living thing on the earth all at once, and it made me feel horrible because we treat each other so badly all the time.

However now that my tolerance has built up I can smoke a lot more, and just feel...high. I've never gone back to that anxiety stage as of yet, but I definietly sympathize. If you think you should quit smoking, do it. However, I liked weed to much to quit when I got my anxiety over it.
  3. dan3

dan3 New Member

Maybe you should see a shrink(because the other word is too long :p).

I had severe depression for about four years, not being able to function on think right, suicidal thoughts all the fun stuff...

I started smoking weed more and it made me feel better which inturn made me a nicer person and more fun to be around.. I started hanging out with more new people and kept on smoking and i feel fine today.

As for the anxiety I'm not really sure.. I always have wondered about my existence and no religion/belief is flawless. Just be as nice as you can to everyone and try to live a good peaceful life. Life is too short to keep thinking about how it's going to end.

And is there ever such a thing as too high with marijuana ;)

Hope this helps in some way, Hope things work out for you.

Peace,
    Dane
    2 people like this.
  4. Freedom_User

Freedom_User ....Is really high

Bummer man.

When I am in my room smoking alone with my door closed for some reason I get super paranoid. But 9 times out of 10 I smoke with people. This is the only time it ever fucks with me. But as the other dude said, you should quit and talk to a shrink.
  5. Lua

Lua New Member

Yes, there is such thing as too high
    too high=blackout
    :)
  6. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

No. Too high is when a person feels too high. Too high is anxiety, fear, paranoia, disorientation, derealization, depersonalization, nausea, and heart palpitations. Out of control and not enjoying it.

Smoking weed is not a contest. You don't prove your "manhood" (or whatever) by being able to consume vast quantities of weed. People should never be pushed to smoke more than they can do comfortably. That's how people develop anxiety reactions and get panic attacks whenever they smoke.
    11 people like this.
  7. Lua

Lua New Member

Sorry, I didn't mean it like that.

I know you can get TOO high, hence why I had anxiety when I smoked too much when I first started. I was just trying to be funny :( guess it didn't work.

Though I really did blackout/pass out from smoking before.
  8. RT_Fufkin

RT_Fufkin New Member

I had similar experiences with cannabis about 10 years ago.I was a regular smoker for years and then, one day I smoked and just got way too uncomfortably high. I chalked it up to environment and smoked again the next day with similar experiences. It was getting to the point where every time I would smoke I would get way TOO high. Even small amounts. I decided I needed to take a break from smoking. I always said I would smoke again when the time was right. Well, seven years passed until I took my next hit. That was about four years ago and I've had a few anxiety attacks since, but I've learned to recognize what happens and I can always talk myself out of it.

Maybe it's time to put the pipe down for a bit if you keep having bad experiences. Or if you have another "bad" trip, try to tell yourself that it's just the weed and that you are totally fine. Once I can calm myself down, I can really turn it into something good and enjoy being really high.

just my two cents...

RT_Fufkin
  9. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect The Cosmic Chronic

To me this is normal. I never stop pondering the fabrics of space and time. :shrug: Then again, I am a tad crazy myself.

Perhaps you need some new friends?

If you desire a break from marijuana, do such. Realign your priorities, perhaps take some 'alone time' to deal with emotional and mental problems, Mary Jane will always be around.
    4 people like this.
  10. Passage

Passage Sr. Member

I know exactly what you're talking about. The only way to really stop this is to have a really chill environment. I start thinking about all my faults and I feel totally insane, which I somewhat am.
  11. WATERMELONBLUNT

WATERMELONBLUNT New Member

Yeah, that happens to me when I smoke too much.
  12. Herbalista

Herbalista New Member

Its because weed is opening you up to a whole new world of thought.

As Bob Marley once said. "Smoking the herb reveals you to yourself."

I believe it also helps open your mind up to the world we live in. The facts are that this is a crazy universe we inhabit, with all sorts of unanswered questions. Where did we come from? Is there a god? Whats next for human beings and planet earth? Are there aliens? What's dying like? Is there a heaven/hell? Etc.

These questions can be a lot of weight on one persons mind, and weed just makes these thoughts more rapid, and sometimes you can get trapped in a TRIP. ;)

Seriously marijuana I think opens up another percentage of your brain for use, and you begin to think about things in depth by a far larger margin. I think sometimes people can freak out about this, and get paranoid.

If this is the case for you, just stop smoking completely, or cut back.

EZ PEEZ
  13. jay69

jay69 New Member

dude, if i couldnt smoke pot anymore.......omg i would die lol
  14. alex5555556

alex5555556 New Member

okay well i had anxiety and its just about gone does anyone think it be alright to smoke again..?
  15. IBlazedHeavily

IBlazedHeavily New Member

QUIT IF YOU CAN..i say, id love not to smoke weed everyday because it just slows u down in life =[
  16. Planet Smasher

Planet Smasher New Member

I'm sure you wouldn't at all.
  17. circasurvivefan

circasurvivefan New Member

If you think that it's not going to be enjoyable and you smoke anyway you're probably making a poor choice. With any drug you should have the right mind frame and be completely okay with the effects it will bring on. From alcohol to weed, to off topic halucinogens, you have to want to take it. If you don't and you're forcing yourself there's a problem and the negative aspect will only come out. If you make the decision to smoke don't be bullied by friends into smoking more than you can handle. There are plenty of us on here that will admit to having panic attacks, hell it still happens to me. I'm on a break now for a few reasons, one being a job and being the fact that being high was making me depressed. If you have negative issues on your mind and you're not ready to suppress them they come out 10 fold when high. I've found that weed gives you what you want to take out. If you're depressed and truly believe that smoking weed will help you it can do as your mind focuses in on all the amazing parts of the high and life is good. However, if you can't shake what's bothering you it's going to be there. Take a break until you're really comfortable with just getting high and focusing on what you love about it. If you're asking the question should I smoke then you the answer, at least from my perspective and experience is not yet.
  18. I Like HCP

I Like HCP New Member

Yeah dude that is totally true, like I just had a conversation with my mom about this when I was high. She drinks alot and just talks about all the bad shit that's going on, and I'm like that's not the right attitude to have when you want to drink. Man I feel like I'm learning more and more about life everyday. :D
  19. Chchchewy

Chchchewy New Member

I hope it's not too late to post on this. I was wondering the same thing. I got high a couple days ago and before that it's been years since. I used to smoke from the moment I rose to the moment I laid down. I stopped because I couldn't stop my mind from wandering too high. I too have a predilection to study about the unknown or search for the answers for the really meaningful questions. And no school of thought can be overlooked; theology, natural sciences, any and all fields of cognitive study, etc.
    Anyways, I assumed it wouldn't take me much to get high so I only did two little but decent hits and then stopped. I wasn't pressured, I wasn't worried, it actually felt somewhat normal and casual to do it at that moment. I never have nor never would do it if someone was egging me on, or if I feared, even just a little, the experience.
    But, as what had happened before, I started to feel my mind flying closer and closer to the metaphorical sun and, try as hard as I might, I couldn't lose altitude. Thankfully, my friend read my signs even before I fully realized and he started to try and calm me down. Not that I was freaking out, I was actually very calm and even happy.
    It was exactly as before, I start to feel really strong Deja Vu (I say really strong because I can actually feel deja vu all the time if I want to, but really strong deja vu comes on it's own whim. But that's another story.), the people around me start acting different, they're the same but in a predictable pattern, and it's the pattern that gets me.
    My mind latches on to this pattern that starts to form. Typically I'm just standing there, observing, without any input. But what's going on around me, all the little actions, nuances and comments, keeps falling in to place, like watching a box of puzzle pieces being poured out on to a table, but as they land they fall right into place and the higher I get the faster the pieces are poured out and the bigger the picture I can see.
    It's as if in this chaotic and random world you were suddenly given the cipher, or key, and with it you could now put the pieces in their place.
    I could suddenly see that all the random and inconsequential things that happen around me and throughout the world are somehow connected to a grander scheme. And while this is all fine and dandy, I can't help but feel that by seeing it all and knowing it all sort of forfeits your right to stay. Which is when I start to wish I wasn't high any more. Cause I like physical life.
    I feel now that I can never smoke weed again, cause even just a wee little sends me spiraling higher then I care too. Maybe on my death bed.
    I would ask a physician but besides getting the usual spiel on the effects of marijuana, I don't believe they'd have any answers, or even give a care about such predicaments. I am being biased though, when I'm in front of a Doctor again I could at least try.
    Any Doctors of medicine or psychology out there with some idea what's going on?
  20. Molasses

Molasses New Member

This thread explains why opposition to marijuana claim mental illnesses as side effects of marijuana...