If you eat it...

Discussion in 'Urine Testing' started by Keyouse, May 28, 2008.

1. Keyouse

Keyouse New Member

I was wondering if you eat something consisting of cannabis, if it will stay in your system as long, if at all... Because the reason it stays in your body for so long is because it has to attach to your fat cells to activate the THC, for its fat soluble. And the reason why you have to have butter, milk, or some other fatty substance in the food to activate the THC, is because it is fat soluble. So if you eat it, the THC is already activated in the fat in the food... thus it wouldn't need to stay in your fat. Although, the only thing I can think of that would mess this up, as long as I have my facts straight, is the fat from the food, becoming fat on your body... but that is where I am thinking that you may be able to work out and get it out of your body fast, plus if you have a fast metabolism not all the fat would store in your body, and you crap some of it out.

A theory, is it true? Do I have my facts straight?
  2. monkeynipple

monkeynipple New Member

I think you nailed it when you said the fat in the food just becomes fat in your body. I'm no chemist but I don't think there is any difference in the duration a hypothetical gram of weed stays in your system, whether it was smoked or ingested after having already been absorbed by fat. Nice try though!
  3. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

You've got that all wrong. THC doesn't need to be "activated" (whatever that means) for it to work. When you smoke or vape, it goes directly from your lungs to your bloodstream to your brain. When your digestive system breaks down the cannabis-containing food, the THC passes from your gut into your bloodstream and then to your brain. When your body metabolizes THC, it breaks down into as many as 31 THC metabolites. These non-psychoactive metabolites are what gets stored in your body fat.

You don't have to have fats or oils in cannabis-laced foods. It just makes it faster and easier to absorb the THC into your bloodstream. Eating raw cannabis will get you high. It just takes longer, you don't get as high, and the high lasts longer.

Not even close and no.
  4. Keyouse

Keyouse New Member

lol, ok. Wasn't for sure. But either way, are you sure it works eating it without any fat products? Does it get you as high for as long if you eat it without, compared to it with fat?
  5. Buzzby

As I said:
  6. Keyouse

Keyouse New Member

Because it doesn't have the fat to bring out all the THC. Alright, makes since. Thanks man.
  7. Buzzby

Not quite. You absorb all of the THC. You just absorb it more slowly. The THC remains in your gut longer because without the fats/oils it takes your digestive system longer to process it.
  8. Keyouse

Keyouse New Member

So if I ate an 1/8, it would get me just as baked as if I had it in butter, just take longer?
  9. Buzzby

I'm getting tired of repeating myself, but for the benefit of those of you on drugs I'll post this a third time:
  10. riggsb1

riggsb1 New Member

I ate a brownie four days ago, I have a drug test today, will I pass since I drink a lot anyway?
  11. DrugTestDave

DrugTestDave Moderator

riggsb1, you don't mention anything about your other details or history. If this was your only exposure you could still be on the fence. Take an at home test in the AM to find out if you're testing positive. You can grab one at Walgreen's or CVS.

Many people use THC tinctures or raw cannabis in the form of teas--to my knowledge there is not a whole lot of fat in tea and it's been a favorite method for, like, ever :)

-Dave