increasing weed potency?

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by Thedayoudied, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Thedayoudied

Thedayoudied New Member

i was on this one website reading about how to make firecrackers and this guy said

"first of all, bake your pot on a sheet of tin foil at 250-260deg until when you pinch a nug it breaks apart into dust (usualy 10-15 mins for somewhat fresh stuff)"

is it true that doing that^ will increase the potency 2 or sometimes 3 times? thats what he said happens.

also it said this:

"it doesnt break into ash, just into littler pieces. this process is both in "the art and science of cooking with cannabis" and "cannabis alchemy" both really really amazing books when in combination of information."

i want to try it, he said its good for smoking it too... but i donno. can anyone confirm this?
  2. hipe

hipe Subscriber

why not measure out about a bowl full and try it? worst thing that could happen is that youd lose a little bit.
  3. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

This is the theory

There are chemical properties in weed that do not convert to thc until the weed is extremely dry. Thus drying out the weed in the oven at a temp lower than it's vaporization point may convert some residual properties into thc. I believe that you are trying to convert thca into thc but I may have the wrong letters. The process is called decarboxylization, the giving up of a carbon atom.

I have no training to speak to the science/chemistry involved but I have had weed that seemed to improve a lot after I had let it sit for a long period of time. For firecrackers I would think that the heat of the oven would do the trick as you cook it. I have usually seen this technique referred to in discussions about tincture/green dragon.

As the other poster said it is an inexpensive experiment to try on your own.
  4. Thedayoudied

Thedayoudied New Member

alright, cool, ima give it a shot next time i have bud.
  5. kronik

kronik New Member

let me know how it works out for you :spin:
  6. NCisBlaZed

NCisBlaZed New Member

haha, i'm trying it now.
  7. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Cranched Scanner

sounds like its just a technique for making the weed bust up finely. It needs to be powdery for cooking so that the entire surface area/all the crystals are exposed to the fat in what your cooking.

I have never heard of heat making weed more potent. thats news to me....
  8. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

Just passing on what I have read many other places that coincides with personal experiences. I think there is something to it, but that it is not always applicable.
    I would suggest Googling this term decarboxylization there is some very interesting reading on the subject many places on the web. Never hurts to experience new information.
  9. Thedayoudied

Thedayoudied New Member

oh yeah and the dude said it was in those two books btw... which i have heard are good sources. never read them though. but not sure if yall saw that on the OP.
    n cool i will do that shortly.
    oh and also i havent tried it yet i havent had weed in about a week. actually last time i bought was on the 19th. does anyone know if barnes and noble sells those books? i kno they sell cannabis books online but i havent seen any in the store and they moved their plant section at the one i go to.

oh and also to the guy who said hes trying it now lemme know how it works out!!!