Is it irresponsible to drive while high?

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by mandeponium, Jan 20, 2009.

1. mandeponium

mandeponium New Member

At first I would never drive high but now I'm getting pretty good and it. I can even drive with my knees and light up with my two free hands. Is this a bad idea?

2. wooitsmolly

wooitsmolly New Member

I can drive if I'm high, but I do avoid it. The reason is I tend to drive slow and become paranoid that someone is going to notice I'm high hahaha... but I don't think it really impairs my driving at all (I would never drive if I was super stoned.)

3. VaporizorMariJ

VaporizorMariJ Sr. Member

Yes of course its more dangerous. Especially when ur trying to spark bowls.

I definatly wouldnt compare it to driving drunk tho.

4. Ellisisking

Ellisisking New Member

the way i look at it is that if i dramatically affected someones life while driving, high or not, i would have to live with the fact that i ruined someones life. therefore, i will never drive in any situation where i am impaired in any way. i trust myself to drive high 999999999 times out of 10000000000, but there is no guarantee that that one time wont happen. it doesnt compare to driving drunk, but anyone who drives while under the influence of anything is, in my mind, completely irresponsible and incredibly selfish and short sighted.

5. ITG

ITG Ardent Dilettante

Actually, I'm fairly sure that the research shows that marijuana alone does not reduce a person's ability to drive. If I remember correctly, there was a fairly recent British study to this effect, and there are a number from the US Department of Transportation. You can find a whole bunch on the NORML website here:

Marijuana and Driving: A Review of the Scientific Evidence - NORML

6. wooitsmolly

wooitsmolly New Member

What about if they're smoking cigarrettes or drinking coffee? Do you consider that "under the influence"? Just curious.

7. Everlong2019

Everlong2019 Sr. Member

While cigarettes make some dizzy, their is no evidence that they severely impair motor skills, as well as caffeine. i dont drive yet, and maybe i will be more confident to when i actually learn how, but in my mind as of now i dont think i would ever be able to drive stoned. I lose focus way too quickly.

8. toothfairy420

toothfairy420 Stoner Chique

Uuuh...yeah I would say it is..

I wouldn't call it irresponsible to drive while high, but there is a line that I don't like to cross. If I am too high to drive, I know it, I wait 15 minutes. Weed is unlike alcohol which impairs your judgment, and makes you feel like you can drive, even when you really shouldn't.

Now lighting up with both hands with your knees on the wheel is just a stupid thing to do...it's probably worse than texting and driving.

9. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

Give me a break! You can get so stoned you can't walk, talk, or think. Don't tell me that it's safe to drive in that condition!

Can you drive after drinking alcohol? Stupid question. You can drive after a beer or two. You can't drive after drinking a pint of vodka. The same reasoning applies to driving after smoking marijuana: it all depends on the dose you took and how you react to that dose.

I'd say that anyone trying to drive while sparking up a bowl is irresponsible. You can't focus your eyes two inches away from your nose and focus three hundred yards down the road at the same time.

3 people like this.
  10. allenlovesgreen

allenlovesgreen Subscriber

Wow, lots of threads that are similar to this one! I swear people need to stop doing this and start using the search feature. :laugh:

http://www.marijuana.com/surveys-polls/105145-driving-while-high.html
    http://www.marijuana.com/surveys-polls/55063-driving-while-stoned-safe-5.html

Meanwhile I just give my opinion. I think that it is irresponsible to drive while high because you never know what can happen and you are not only putting yourself on danger but all the other people that are driving around you as well. I'm not saying that is completely unsafe, compared to alcohol and other off-topics it is way more safe, but I think that if a person is going to drive somewhere, they should be paying 110% percent of their attention on the road, not only driving carefully but also being aware of other cars. You never know when some drunk guy is out there doing stupid sh*t... :rofl:

Driving is not a RIGHT, it's a PRIVILEGE!

Check this cool video!

Now that's what I like to call really bad judgment... Are you drunk right now?J/k.
    This is really irresponsible though. :shakehead

11. toothfairy420

toothfairy420 Stoner Chique

How about cough syrup?
    What if your boyfriend/girlfriend just broke up with you?
    Bad day at work?
    Long day at work?
    Financial stress?

All of those things and then some can easily effect the way that you drive...

This reminds me of the time that my ex boyfriends mom told me that her son had left the state to be with his other girlfriend, he was too much of a piece of shit to tell me himself...she asked me to come over and have some coffee and talk. On the way, I was so emotional that I almost got into numerous accidents, tears were blurring my vision and I was so incredibly angry, there were times that I just screamed profanities inside the car. I will never again drive in this state of mind, and driving while high doesn't even compare to driving while emotional.

My point is, I also trust myself to drive perfectly 999999999 out of 100000000 times, high or not. There are lots of environmental things that you can factor into weather or not you get into an accident. Its your choice to get behind the wheel, and 95 per cent of the time, there will be something impairing you...be it emotion, sleepiness, stress...whatever...

2 people like this.
  12. Dudeimanoldfart

Dudeimanoldfart New Member

Usually when I'm stoned while driving, i do everything right and drive almost near perfect. Because of course, your a little paranoid so you do everything right to NOT get pulled over, or in an accident. And again, when your TOO high to drive, you know it, and you don't get behind the wheel because your judgment isn't hindered. Almost everyone I know says being high doesn't change the way they drive. As for people driving slower because they're high, just put cruise control on!! Then you don't have to worry about speed, just your driving.

2 people like this.
  13. DoctorHarlow

DoctorHarlow New Member

I've never driven high myself, but I've done a few cross-country road trips (Southwest to Northeast) with a friend of mine, and we were both high pretty much constantly. I'd pack the bowls, hand her greens, we'd wait for other cars to go away, and spark it. Not once did we ever have a problem with safety, cops, or paranoia. I think the idea of weed impairing your driving skill is something of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The fact of the matter is that if you stress about how you are doing, you will act differently.

Is it irresponsible to drive while high? I don't think it's any more irresponsible than doing ANYTHING while high. I for one prefer to remove myself from ANY position of responsibility when I am smoking, simply because I'd like to enjoy my stone.

2 people like this.
  14. SleepyJohn

SleepyJohn Sr. Member

Ya Sure, of course! 35 mph, on the highway, is as bad as going 80 swerving from lane to lane drunk.

15. SleepyJohn

SleepyJohn Sr. Member

Ya Sure, of course! 35 mph, on the highway, is as bad as going 80 swerving from lane to lane drunk.

16. Ellisisking

Ellisisking New Member

i just feel that weed slows my reflexes too much too be able to react quickly enough if a kid were to step out or something. also, sometimes i find myself thinking i am a lot less high than i am, then i try to play a video game or something realize that i would not be able to do anything involving the least bit of concentration. i guess what it boils down to is that it scares me that if i start driving a little bit high, then i could slowly start driving more and more high, plus the fact that other people's are at stake

17. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

You're much less likely to accidentally kill yourself and others while sitting on your couch.

18. DoctorHarlow

DoctorHarlow New Member

Yeah but I think that it's important to note this is true regardless of whether you are high or not. Being high, I don't think, doesn't make you any more or any less responsible for any situation. I think the real question is how you handle that kind of responsibility in your own mind, how much you are confident in behind able to handle it. If you place yourself in a situation where you have more responsibility than you can handle, I think THAT is being irresponsible. I think that some people have the confidence and ability to handle situations better than others (the people who talk to cops at a party, the people who talk to the person at the drive-in) when high.

I think that a lot of people can handle driving high responsibly, and I think that largely it's a matter of being confident yet cautious in terms of what you are doing, not in platitudes or statistics.

4 people like this.
  19. TheStonerGeek

TheStonerGeek New Member

I can't really disagree with you, DoctorHarlow. It seems to me that the issue is far too complex to be able to break it down to black and white. As a general rule of thumb, I would say that if you aren't sure, err on the side of caution. I would like to note, however, that even in this time of marijuana being an International Scapegoat, there aren't daily reports on CNN about stoned teenagers slamming into and killing a family of four; while finding a story about a drunk driving accident is a 2.3 nanosecond Google search. Just my two cents :p

:)Please check out my blog and tell me what you think of it :)

4 people like this.
  20. Andrew87

Andrew87 Sr. Member

It seems that many of you are overlooking some very important points that Buzzby made:

IMO, the black and white answer that I'm seeing most of you expect doesn't exist when it comes to this question.

With that said, however, my thoughts are that driving while noticeably intoxicated (from ANY substance) is incredibly irresponsible and selfish. This reasoning also applies to emotional distress, and people who are trying to do too many things at once.

5 people like this.