Is It Legal To Grow Weed In California

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Silverbackman, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Silverbackman

Silverbackman New Member

Medical Marijuana is legal in California, but is it legal to grow your own weed plants? For example in this article it says;

http://www.roadjunky.com/travelculture/ganjacenters.shtml

Are they overexaggerating or is it that the cops just don't care? Or is it really legal?

2. Plainsman1963

Plainsman1963 New Member

Read This.

Federal law still states it as illegal. But the above gives the two state laws (proposition 215 and SB 420) applicable in California.

3. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

If you are an authorized medical marijuana patient or one's authorized caregiver you are permitted to grow a limited amount of cannabis.

There is excellent black market weed grown in California. I'm not clear what that has to do with the medical marijuana laws. If cannabis grown under the medical marijuana laws enters the market for non-medical marijuana users it's as illegal as any other marijuana.

4. Silverbackman

Silverbackman New Member

It seems like there is no growth limit in San Francisco (# S.F, San
    # Mateo, Santa Clara, Marin, but probably not Sonoma because noted otherwise). If I lived in say Santa Clara, California and had an marijuana ID card, can I grown as much as I want and perhaps sell it as well?

Also, can the federal police still come after me despite I getting perfect legal permission in California?

5. Frojoe

Frojoe New Member

I realy doubt that your allowed to sell it, although it would be a nice money maker.
    Yes the feds can still come after you.

6. Buzzby

If you sell it to anyone who isn't a qualified medical marijuana patient and/or for whom you are not an authorized caregiver, then you are violating state trafficking laws. See: California marijuana laws. Sale of any amount is a felony with a 2 - 4 year prison sentence.

Absolutely. See: Gonzales v. Raich. Currently they aren't busting patients, only confiscating their supplies. They are busting suppliers.

Medical marijuana is not a loophole so you can become a dope dealer. If you and others treat it as such, you can bet that medical marijuana will become unavailable to the people who really need it.

7. kinghelwig

kinghelwig New Member

Legal to grow in ca?

yes it's legal to grow weed in ca.,you need to go to dept. of agriculture,and fill out the proper paper work,register in your town and state,follow the Feds. guidelines,and your in,oh money need that too.It's been a while since they handed out the permits, but they can still be had,what you are going to be is a marijuana farmer for industrial purposes,no joke,if you really want to hook up right,talk to a norml attny.And get a hold of Woody Harelsons and Tommy Chong's,companies,I'm sure they will,steer you in the right direction,and maybe offer you a deal in the process,at any rate,good luck hope I was able to give some helpful info. :cool:

8. Buzzby

Huh? There is no state in the union where it is legal to grow marijuana (or hemp, for that matter) except as part of a state medical marijuana program. It is completely illegal under federal laws. An exception was made for one research growing facility.

kinghelwig - can you support anything you wrote in the previous post?

9. Silverbackman

Silverbackman New Member

Yes please do! If you are correct then........:)

10. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

If you referring to dealing -- it is my understanding that discussions of Dealling Marijuana are prohibitted on this part of the website.

If you are asking theoretically if it were possible, might I suggest that would be more a topic for discussion at the 420Lounge, a link may be found in the upper left corner of this screen under DISCUSSION FORUMS. You will have to sign up again as it is a separate server from the Legalization site.

Yes.

California (state) law does not hold up against the law of the entire Country (federal.)

11. troublemaker420

troublemaker420 New Member

Actually, discussion of dealing is specifically prohibited in the 420 Lounge as well, so please don't direct people somewhere where their question would also violate the rules. It is no more accecptable there than it would be here.

12. Silverbackman

Silverbackman New Member

I don't see why it can't be discussed here. We are talking about the legality of growing weed and/or dealing, not anything illegal. So I don't see why this discussion would hurt anyone.

13. Buzzby

From the Posting Guidelines:

There is to be no discussion of selling Marijuana, or marketing of Marijuana, in any way, shape, or form.​
    A discussion about using medical marijuana laws as a scheme to support illegal dealing hurts the whole medical marijuana movement. The prohibitionists claim that medical marijuana is not medicine and that the medical marijuana laws are just a way for people to get stoned without legal consequences. You are supporting that idea, one that will get the medical marijuana laws thrown out if enough evidence supports it.

If we want to keep medical marijuana legal we have to be careful to separate it from recreational marijuana.

14. Silverbackman

Silverbackman New Member

Well no where did I suggest that I wouldn't be a medical marijuana grower if I decided to grow weed ;).

The posting guidelines are there because the drug is illegal to begin with. But we aren't talking about anything illegal here (especially if I intend to sell it as medical marijuana).

With all that aside, it seems at least legal to to grow and sell medical marijuana. But obviously it is illegal at the same time with the feds being around.

Is there a free state or country left on the Earth? A better question would be was there ever a true free country in the world. Not really. But our founding fathers tried and it worked for a while. It never failed, it is just that people left these classical liberal roots.

Sorry I just had to get that out.

15. kinghelwig

kinghelwig New Member

legal to grow

It has been many years since I read the law,however if you do a little research you will find that I am right on this,seek and you will find,or the truth is out there which ever,You dont think they are actually selling all sorts of hemp materials illegally do you?The law's and guide lines are quite strigent but you can still get the permit's to do it,I just love my hemp shoe's, they are so cool,and priced right too,now as far as medically well it's still not legal to grow or sell,but they are doing it,I have my little doctor's note and the authorized amount I am recommended to grow for the way I use it,they want to set a certain amount but they cant agree on it so they left it up to the doc's to determine how much,it depend's on how sick you are and what amount it takes to relieve your pain,or other symptoms,it is supposed to be up to the countie's to decide,but a majority of the countie's havent moved on it yet,but in other's they simply look the other way,or come after you with gun's and no roses,take you and your medicine and let the judge figure it out, oh after all only in america, hope that was helpful. :cool:

16. Buzzby

You made the statements and now can't support them. Why should I have to do research to support your argument?

All hemp products sold in the United States are imported as finished goods or raw materials from countries where it is legal to grow cannabis. Do some research...