Is marijuana really unChristian?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Legal Eyes, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Legal Eyes

Legal Eyes New Member

Ok, first of all... this isn't a debate about religion. That's a total buzz kill.
    Anyways...
    I am very Christian and people who know I'm a daily blazer seem shocked by that. Why?
    When I'm high I don't do anything immoral. I usually just eat my family's annoying leftovers, listen to bob marley and take a nap... :)
    I actually recall hearing some positive feedback about marijuana in The Bible.
    Please, no references to which religion is true... even subtle comments.

2. ctwalrus

ctwalrus New Member

well no marijuana is not unchristian at all
    in fact its more christian then not

for instance the anointing oil.. had cannabis in it
    which had amazing healing properties

tree of knowledge anyone?

there are tons of references in the bible about marijuana
    there are non saying its bad

2 people like this.
  3. MemphisBBQ

MemphisBBQ Sr. Member

I think the "shock" response you get when people find out you smoke is largely due to the image it's been falsely tied with. People who have been raised with the "Drugs are bad" mentality and stick with it sometimes view people who take drugs as a moral failure. Most of the false propaganda and bad rep associated with marijuana stems from the early 1900's, and since then has slowly been viewed more and more as just lies. Most of the people who show this type of response have probably not tried it, nor been around many people who have. I believe government interference and social psychology has played the most significant role in keeping marijuana a taboo.

4. Blackbear

Blackbear Sr. Member

when you think about it, eating could be a non-Christian thing if you place it before God, so as long as smoking weed doesn't start to gain too much importance in your life, i think its completely fine. i smoke everyday and i think it helps me appreciate creation so much more

2 people like this.
  5. Mars1977

Mars1977 New Member

It doesnt exactly make you mindful.

6. Herbania

Herbania Don't fear the reefer

seeking intoxication is unchristian.

7. CrayzStoner

CrayzStoner New Member

This may or may not be true, but what about people who smoke to become emotionally attached to their gods? When im high, even though im not religious, I feel a more supernatural connection with something bigger out there than I ever would sober.

In fact when im sober im not even open to the idea of religion, but when im high im able to look at the word in the a different view.

2 people like this.
  8. NavyBlueZ

NavyBlueZ New Member

What if your mindset for smoking weed wasn't for intoxication, but for knowledge? Either a different perspective on something, or just knowledge about smoking (the harms and effects of, for example).

Does that change the category weed's in?

Also, who first smoked weed to come to the conclusion that it was intoxication and therefore unchristian?

9. CrayzStoner

CrayzStoner New Member

And hey, jesus drank wine.....was he an alcoholic? :weird:

10. FreddyC

FreddyC Pot is a better drug than alcohol. Fact!

What's in your heart? If you believe that Jesus doesn't want you to smoke....don't smoke. If you believe he doesn't care if you do, then smoke.

Pot is real, tangible and good.

Jesus might be real.

I'll take the pot. Freddy

11. ReXBudMan

ReXBudMan New Member

Honestly I dont see what the big deal is, they used to drink beer and wine back then. Actually, Jesus helped a certain party obtain much more wine! HAd the need for cannabis come up I am sure he would have delivered. And one can only imagine the quality. :p

12. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

A drug isn't "Christian" or "Un-Christian", anymore than a cheeseburger. What matters from a Christian POV is what you do while you're using the drug and how it affects your life in the long run. If using marijuana leads you to sit in front of the TV and ignore the world, that would be un-Christian. If using marijuana leads you to connect more with other people and to help them, that would be Christian.

The Bible speaks positively about wine and celebration. It denounces drunkenness. I think the same reasoning would apply to marijuana.

10 people like this.
  13. FunkySkunky

FunkySkunky Gentille, allouette

This has been covered in other threads, but for the sake of redundancy:

1. Marijuana is never specifically mentioned in the Bible.
    2. Christianity is a religious subscription that decrees the DENIAL of self and the WHOLE ACCEPTANCE of Christ and a Christlike existence.
    3. THAT MEANS DO WHAT GOD SAYS. END OF STORY. It's not about following your heart, it's about following the word of God and the example of Christ.

I hate to sound all preachy, but it's hard not to with this subject. But what FreddyC said (and it was said almost verbatim in the other thread about this very topic), IS NOT CHRISTLIKE. You cannot follow your "heart" and follow Christ at the same time. This is the very foundation of Christianity. If you believe that you can do whatever you want and will be saved anyway, then you are a LUKEWARM Christian; you are damned according to the word of God. It's as simple as that. As for wether or not smoking marijuana is specifically a sin, it doesn't matter too much. The Bible does specifically state that God wants us to be SOBER and MINDFUL for the second coming of Christ. Smoking weed seems to be un-Christian to me for that very reason. If you can smoke and still be ready to come face to face with Christ and say "I'm stoned, let me into heaven," then go for it. But I still haven't completely made up my mind. It's a very touchy subject.

Here's that other thread. It got kinda heated:
    http://www.marijuana.com/religion/136423-marijuana-bible-2.html#post1253906

14. Mars1977

Mars1977 New Member

You mean delusion ?

Wine is for good health and long jeopardy.

Comparing dope with a cheeseburger is a pathetic thing to say.

15. ReXBudMan

ReXBudMan New Member

Yah, Mars, some people cant live without it, just like some cant live without other things. There is a difference between the awareness or smoking weed and, say, drinking alchahol. Quite frankly, if you are anything like me, you smoke and just continue doing what you would usually do. I do not like this steriotype that all weed smokers sit in front of the TV, even though I am doing the same thing, but my TV is my monitor :p I run my business from home I have alot of time to smoke whereas when I was working 9-5 I only smoked once before I went to bet and during the day it was no biggie. I smoke alot. Most of the time smokers start smoking cause they have fuck all to do , these people need to assert themselves to their own lives instead of escaping it.

You are kind of harsh just saying "your an addict" it sounds to me like you have smoked at some point, loved it, had to give it up and are now in a pit of resentment.

If you told my father he couldnt have a couple of beers after work, not slipping into havy inhebriation, he would tell you to "go away".

16. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

That might be true if you are a fundamentalist, but the majority of Christians aren't fundamentalists and seek Christ's truths in their hearts. They believe, as I believe, that the Bible is simply a book compiled by fallible human beings; a book of great value, but merely a book.

I love being called a moron by someone so adept with the English language. :rolleyes:

2 people like this.
  17. FreddyC

What you fail to understand about that statement is that it's EXACTLY what you should do. IF a person proclaims to be a Christian, then the love of Christ should be in their heart and soul as well as mind. So, if your HEART tells you that it's wrong, it's wrong. Because if your heart belongs to Jesus, you will know if what you do (about anything, not just pot) is right or not.

Now, if following Jesus is just a mental thing, full of mindful decisions and there is no feeling in your "gut" or your conscience, then why believe in Jesus anyhow? Your conscience should reflect what is in your heart.

I'm surprised I have to even explain myself. I hear Christians all the time tell me about how Jesus lives in their heart and they believe with all their heart.

Honestly, if your belief in Jesus tells you it's wrong, it is wrong. If a person is going to put that much critical thought as to whether getting a little high is a sin, then apply that critical thought to your faith too. If you study very hard and long you may find that it's Jesus that you believe to be wrong and that having a moderate relationship with marijuana is the way to go.

Just saying that no man can sit here and tell any of you what is or is not Christ like. If you believe and feel that Jesus is in you, you will make a decision that is right for you. See, this is part of the problem I have with religion and sometimes the religious. They always know exactly what Jesus intended, even if he didn't speak on it. Your love for Jesus should be personal and you don't need someone on the internet telling you if you are right or wrong in the eyes of Jesus. If you are a serious Christian, then you should be able to make that decision through prayer and meditation, not listening to any of us posting on a message board. The answer is yours to find, not for a man to give. If you listen to other Christians to tell you what to do, they will suppress you every time, because that's the way they want to interpret Jesus and God.

Again, follow your heart, if it belongs to Jesus, then it should take you in the right direction (and if you don't believe in Jesus, it will still take you in the right direction!) ;) Freddy

4 people like this.
  18. goodgirl

goodgirl **********

"You cannot follow your "heart" and follow Christ at the same time. This is the very foundation of Christianity."

I disagree. Considering how vague and even contradictory the Bible is I wonder how you would suggest trying to figure out what is "Christlike". It is not only possible to follow your heart while following the word of God it is practically mandatory. One of the easiest ways to speak to God is to listen to your conscience.

The idea that one can simply ask "what would Jesus do" and that we would be able to give any sort of definitive answer given the evidence at hand is one that gets people into more trouble than perhaps any other concept in history. Christianity is not a religion of easy answers no matter how many people would like to believe it to be.

2 people like this.
  19. FunkySkunky

FunkySkunky Gentille, allouette

Not having any easy answer was pretty much my point. It seems like FreddyC and yourself, goodgirl, are on the same track. And I can see how it's hard to define exactly what is "Christlike".

Maybe this passage from The New American translation of the Holy Bible will help explain myself:

Second Corinthians; Ch. 4, Vr. 7
    "The Paradox of the Ministry"
    But we hold this treasure in earthly vessels, that the surpassing power may be of God and not from us.

This is but one of many examples in scripture of the "treasure" (the glory and power of God), that is held in "earthly vessels" (our bodies), but is OF God, meaning that we cannot manifest that power alone. God or the Son of God are the only sources of divinity. Simply being in an earthly body is not good enough to be saved. Trusting the flesh is not what God intended.

Maybe I'm interpreting it a bit literally, but it seems to me that the common theme (especially in the New Testament) is that there is always a striving for betterment of one's self as to never let the earthly body and the pleasures of worldliness take hold over God.

That is where the fine line of "addiction" and "everything in moderation" comes in. If you can live a Christlike life while partaking in substance use, then it may be done, I suppose. Like I said before, it's hard for me to come to a conclusion about this topic. I think that my responses are targeted at playing "devil's advocate", for lack of a better descriptor. I think it's important for someone to take into account the will of God if they are truly devout. The will of God (according to the Bible) is NOT subjective, though the interpretation thereof certainly is so. Which makes this whole thing wildly controversial.

My sincere apologies for any offense taken to how I've interpreted the arguments. As you can all tell, this is my new mission and obsession, really :rolleyes: Always trying to figure the world out haha

2 people like this.
  20. FreddyC

You have certainly not offended me. I like the discussion.

What would Jesus do, as GoodGirl points out, is up to the beliefs and mind/heart of the person asking it. Jesus told us to leave behind our personal property and follow him. He said to turn away from your family and follow him. Maybe Jesus wouldn't watch an R rated film. Maybe he wouldn't work at a distillery or brewery. Perhaps he wouldn't approve of having an expensive car or listening to mainstream music. The list could go on and it's up to the individual to find out for themselves what they think Jesus would do or want. One individuals interpretation shouldnt be assumed to be right.

I don't believe in Jesus anymore. But, when I did, I smoked and drank in moderation. I didn't feel like I was doing anything wrong. I didnt believe that Jesus cared about my smoking because I didnt put it above him, my family, my friends, my job, or society at large. It was a personal thing.

I do hope I'm making some sense. I just really feel that each believers faith and conscience will guide them to what is acceptable and whats not. No man can know anothers heart. To tell someone they are going to hell or displeasing God, when that person believes that he is not doing anything wrong is judgemental and projecting personal beliefs on to Christianity. Freddy

3 people like this.