Is smoking weed after a heart transplant safe?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by rragalakrond, Jan 1, 2012.

1. rragalakrond

rragalakrond New Member

A friend of mine had a heart transplant not too long ago and they were wondering if it was safe to smoke weed. I've heard that weed can mess with the immunosuppressants, is this true? What other negative effects could come out of smoking? My friend has never smoked weed, and really wants to... But I'm glad we didn't because he could have died with the elevated heart rate over a long period of time. But since this is with a new heart and the old heart was the problem, nothing else wrong with them, they are really healthy.

I would really like to toke with my friend but I want to make sure he's safe. So what are your thoughts?

~Thanks!

2. scofieldr3199

scofieldr3199 Sr. Member

Ask a doctor. Doctor-patient confidentiality--you shouldn't be asking us, we could tell you the wrong thing and we could potentially kill somebody. ASK A DOCTOR

3 people like this.
  3. clint902

clint902 Sr. Member

What are my thoughts??? It isn't something I'd mess with. Too much can go wrong with a heart transplant to begin with but the presence of THC in the blood would disqualify him from getting another heart transplant if this heart doesn't work out. I'd suggest asking a doctor but you already know what he's gonna say.
    I find it hard to believe a heart transplant patient is even considering this which makes me think you're bullshitting us. I may be wrong but I'm probably right.

2 people like this.
  4. michelemishellie

michelemishellie New Member

Smoking is not good for your Heart,,,, especially when you need a heart transplant. Don't need a Dr. to tell you that. It is a fact. Right everyone?:nono:

2 people like this.
  5. WolfGang Paco

WolfGang Paco Sr. Member

I would think the only detrimental affects of smoking would be toward the lungs. Maybe a lowered blood pressure? But yes, talk to your doctor.

6. clint902

clint902 Sr. Member

If you share a pipe, joint, bong or whatever, remember your friend cannot afford to catch a virus so don't give him your germs.

2 people like this.
  7. michelemishellie

Yeah you would think that would be all it would affect,, But not so, when you smoke marijuana ,,, not just cigs,,, it makes the heart work harder, it increases the heart rate and Lowers the blood pressure and by both of those happening can cause irregular heart rhythms and people that are already having heart problems can have a heart attack,, and that did not just come from My knowledge on that subject ,,, I double checked ,, Heart disease is the # 1 killer of women,, my mom died from a heart attack after her chemo weakened all her organs,, my grandma had a heart attack the day my mom died. So I have done a little reading on it cuz I am pretty sure that is how I am going to go. Sucks,, but that's the way it goes,, well no I have a good chance of getting cancer too,, my dad and my mom died last year from that horrible disease. So No I would not take chances and smoke anything,, when it comes to the heart,, you don't want to mess around .. :nono:

3 people like this.
  8. michelemishellie

Can't Kill anyone if you just don't do it!

9. WolfGang Paco

WolfGang Paco Sr. Member

Basically just give your fuckin doc a call ;)

3 people like this.
  10. scofieldr3199

scofieldr3199 Sr. Member

Also maybe the environment of smoking could stress somebody out and what if they have a panic attack...? He could be at risk. Definitely not something you wanna fuck with, especially if your friend just got one of the most expensive surgeries. I'm not expert but i doubt health insurance, if they even had it, would cover all of that. Michelle was right, you don't even need to ask a doctor on that one.

2 people like this.