Is there good Mexican anymore

Discussion in 'Strains and Definitions' started by 1956, Nov 16, 2009.

1. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

I started smoking in 1970. Just about all you could get was Mexican weed. Sometimes something made it back from Viet Nam, Panama or Jamaica. But for the most part it was Mexican. Now it is a relative thing in that some Mexican was far superior to other Mexican. The good stuff had fewer seeds, was a little sticky, good smell and smoked well with an entertaining high. It had names based on regions of Mexico like Oaxacan, Michmocan, or Acapulco Gold. Then it seemed like all Mexican became the infamous brown dirt brickweed, and it was usually too dry, very seedy, and rather boring in to smoke.

Does anybody ever get Good Mexican anymore?

Or at least remember the quality that I remember?
  2. Scorpius

Scorpius New Member

generally, no. I mean, there's bound to be at least some decent bud in most places but the people who transport large amounts pot from mexico can make a whole lot more money smuggling shitty brick weed than they could if they smuggled the good stuff. my friends in texas buy qp's for $50 and i pay 30 for an 1/8. let them make fun of the price all they want because i can always make fun of them when they pass out after a bowl, you know?
  3. SpiralSpindle

SpiralSpindle Sr. Member

No stems, no seeds that I can seeee.
    Acapulco Gold is bad ass weeddd.

Hah. But around here the Mexican weed looks like just choppings of plants. Like you see random stems around in the leaf/bud. Not the best of stuff.
    2 people like this.
  4. lildevilpunk8008

lildevilpunk8008 New Member

its everywhere. Well at leaste around here in the desert of cali. around here u could pick up pound for 300 to 500 dollars. And ounces for 60 its usually green but not dank. it takes me about 4 to 6 grams of mexican weed for me to get high and that between like 2 maybe 3 heads.
  5. Frid

Frid New Member

ive never had or seen mexican weed and im in the midwest.
  6. troublemaker420

troublemaker420 New Member

I'm in the midwest as well, and commonly see mexican brickweed, the overall quality of which has seemingly steadily risen from when I was a rookie smoker 15 years ago. The stuff found today is greener with fewer seeds and greater potency than the mexi weed I grew up on. It generally runs aboutr $25 per 1/4oz , or $250 per qp.
  7. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

I haven't seen any of the Mexican varietals since the early 70s. That's when large amounts of high-quality weed started coming in from Columbia. Back before Mexican weed became "industrialized" behind the big cartels, individual farmers would grow the "good stuff" and relatively small-scale smugglers would bring it across the border. Today, you'd have to be out of your mind to risk running afoul of the cartels.
  8. SmokeyMcPott

SmokeyMcPott **********

I've had a few good bags of mexican weed, but they don't come around often. I havent smoked mids in so long I don't really remember what they taste like lol.
  9. StokinTokin

StokinTokin New Member

No, mexican weed is typically bad.

Mexican weed is bad now. In around 90% of Mexican weed you will find an unholy amount of stems and seeds, it tastes like soot, and it's super dry. BUT I live in Colorado so I don't have to worry about getting that awful stuff again. :rastabong
  10. scofieldr3199

scofieldr3199 Sr. Member

Never had it. Or maybe i have, hell who knows im in Alabama, ill buy most of what i can get.
  11. Kushy

Kushy down

It doesn't matter where it's from. If the grower takes care of the plant then it will be good bud, whether it's from Mexico or Canada. It just so happens that the cartels don't give a fuck and only care about selling as much product as possible, so in general it's shit. Can there be dank mexi weed? Of course, it's just rare to find someone who cares about quality down there.
    2 people like this.
  12. Drew420

Drew420 New Member

I've had what must have been mexi a few times. Not worth it for me, but that's just me. Whatever floats thy boat.
  13. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

Drew, you missed the premise of the original post, once upon a time there were a lot of good Mexican strains.

On a related note I have a friend who had a very successful bagseed grow last year that has a classic sativa buzz that last 1.5-2hrs. The closest I've come to the Mexican of the early 70's.
    It's even better if you wear a tie-dyed t-shirt and listen to Grand Funk while smoking it.

But it is wonderful to use blending with dank weed and rolling joints.
  14. jaman

jaman Marijuana Master

Mexican weed , is a goner if you live in an area where medical marijuana is readily available - and unless you live in Texas ,most all states are conforming to medical marijuana . I to miss the 100 dollar ounce of mexi , sometimes it was pretty dam good !!. BUT , here's the bottom line folk's , Mexican marijuana is controlled by the Mexican drug cartel -- which we have found out to be a very violent group !! this is not the way to do business !! so -- if you live in an area that doesn't support medical marijuana , you are forced to buy Mexican marijuana which is controlled by the Mexican drug cartel , which is also affiliated with Alcada - and terrorism - ... SO , what I'm trying to say is support your 420 medical marijuana movement how ever you can -- its much better weed !! and you will do your part to stop these brutal Mexican drug cartels from calling the shots ( which for these ignoramuses means cutting off your head )
  15. stoneygreenbud

stoneygreenbud Super Moderator

I grew up in So. Cali myself, and started smoking in the late 70's and I'm sure most of what we got was from mexico, every once in awhile, I would come across some dank skunk , tie or some fine hawaiian bud, but most of what we got was mexican. and I was paying 50 bucks an ounce when I bought a QP or larger amount, early on it was fairly good pot, but in the early/mid 80's the quality went down hill, if memory serves me right, I think that was right in the heat of the whole reefer maddness deal, and most of the mexican pot was being grown in remote locations/mountains in mexico, and the plants were lucky enough to get watered, let alone taken good care of, like with proper soil,nutes,ect,ect,,,

so the quality went from decent "green bud" to dried up, bricked up, full of seeds and brown, and although it still got you high, it gave you a headache more often than not.

it was thought to be from a spraying of a poison (by helicopter) of a substance called malithion, which is an insecticide.

and smuggling into the US became harder, so the cartels would brick it up into many different forms, and sometimes the pot wasen't completely dry yet and ended up molding the weed.

But I can remember the good o'l days and the Acapulco gold, boy was that some bad ass weed.

~Stoney~
  16. Drew420

Drew420 New Member

Hahahahaa, man, I actually didn't miss it. But those days are long gone.

Here, there's a lot of "mexican brick weed," but I see high quality grower bud a lot. I think most of the stuff I get is grown here.
  17. MrNatural

MrNatural New Member

I remember smoking some excellent Mexican weed back in the early to mid 70's. Visiting Corpus Christie was able to get that Michmocan for $15/oz. Bag filed with buds the length of the bag, sticky and very potent. I haven't seen that stuff since, but it was memorable!
    2 people like this.
  18. foshizzleandrew

foshizzleandrew New Member

I get good weed I'm from cali but I live in tijuana and my dealer has good light green has rarely any seeds I get a ounce for around 250 pesos like 20 bucks. But of course the bud I smoke in cali is better