Is weed a blood thinner?

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by FLStudio4512, Jun 29, 2010.

1. FLStudio4512

FLStudio4512 Sr. Member

well due to complications post op i have a clot. now, im building levels of coumadin (blood thinner). so, does weed thin the blood? i thought it was a fat soluble thing from reading the test threads idk though, any input?
  2. quester

quester Sr. Member

No.
    Marijuana acts as a coagulant, increases blood clotting and of course blood thinners are an anticoagulant
    I also take blood thinners, Warfarin, and the Doc adjusted the dosage to take into account my marijuana use. .
    2 people like this.
  3. IGemini

IGemini [?]

4. FLStudio4512

FLStudio4512 Sr. Member

really? im a medical user but theres a stigma still even though it's legal i always spoke honestly when asked. i remember before the surgery even saying im a medical marijuana user and it was an ER surgery. i had to go back cause of the clot found by chance on a ct scan (thanks God) when i left before i remember some nurse making a remark about how she doesnt believe im a medical user, but i will mention it (again) and make sure they hear me.
  5. FLStudio4512

FLStudio4512 Sr. Member

wait, am i crazy or does that pubmed source say it increased the INR (thinness)?
  6. FLStudio4512

FLStudio4512 Sr. Member

:confused: see this is what happened when i googled it
  7. FLStudio4512

FLStudio4512 Sr. Member

i kinda thought of it and i guess thinning cant be more dangerous than thickening i may bleed out while brushing my teeth though.
  8. quester

quester Sr. Member

That's what you read.
    Did you read this part?

Probable interaction between warfarin and marijuan... [Ann Pharmacother. 2009] - PubMed result

As far as talking to the Doc, I always let the Doc's know that I use marijuana.