K9's at weigh stations

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by vert_chevy, Dec 26, 2005.

1. vert_chevy

vert_chevy New Member

Are there typically K9's at the truck weigh stations where the semi's travel through in the US?

2. bigredneck

bigredneck New Member

I have driven in the US and Canada, even crossing the border, i have not seen anyone get searched by a dog, they bring in the dogs on suspicion. like when yu drive over the border, they have xray machines at the booth, this guy had a false front on the trailer, full of 2000 kilos of bud, ya they brings out the dogs. As far as the chicken coops, never once have i seen a narc dog. only a shi*zoo takin one.

3. BartSimpson

BartSimpson Sr. Member

Are dogs sniffing every truck passing the scale?

Typically, no. That one could be obtained within a very brief period is highly likely. I'd bet that every scale house maintains a close relationship with a couple of local agencies with dogs and one is a phone call away.

When crossing the scales, the Inspector is observing for a number of regulations and flags a truck to the Inspection Area. If flagged for an Inspection, the driver is going to be observed for signs of drugs and alcohol as a part of the routine inspection. Suspicious behavior triggers a search of the cab and sleeper.

Remember, too, that commercial drivers are subject to immediate random testing.

4. vert_chevy

vert_chevy New Member

I was wonder more for something like if I had a car on a car transport with just an 1/8th or so in the trunk and it was on the transport with other cars not being driven just transported what are the chances of having any issues along the way.

5. BartSimpson

BartSimpson Sr. Member

Shhh!

Very, very, very slim. Unless you tell someone, because your greatest risk is an anonymous tip - do you know how to keep a secret?

6. troublemaker420

troublemaker420 New Member

Th scenario described would be rather safe. However, I know for a fact that in South Dakota, dogs are sometimes present at weigh stations, and during even a routine inspection, dogs are sometimes walked around the rig. The SD highway patrol publishes a "Newsroom" log every week on the internet, and I've read more than one case of a trucker being arressted during a "routine" inspection due to a dog alerting to somethig in the cab

7. troublemaker420

troublemaker420 New Member

*Trooper Husby and Narcotics Dog “Rico” were working the Jefferson Port of Entry. Inspector Hansen contacted a truck and trailer for no taillights. During the contact Trooper Husby walked Rico around the truck and Rico indicated to the odor of illegal drugs. While attempting to search the vehicle the truck driver began to fight with Trooper Husby. The subject was secured and marijuana was located inside the truck.*

*Inspector Hansen selected a California tractor-trailer combination for a level 2 walk around inspection. Trooper Husby and his canine walked around the vehicle combination and the canine alerted to the truck tractor. The Arkansas driver became uncooperative and Trooper Husby placed the driver under arrest. The driver complained about chest pains and an ambulance was contacted to transport the driver to the hospital in Vermillion. Trooper Husby searched the tractor and discovered less than 2 ounces marijuana and some drug paraphernalia. The driver did not require medical attention when he arrived at the hospital, and he was later transported to the Union County Jail.*

taken from the SD highway patrol website, as an example that this DOES occur....both were incidents in last week's log

8. phuzz01

phuzz01 Sr. Member

Our truck teams use both drug detecting and bomb detecting K9 units on a regular basis.