Keif catcher?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories' started by titty, Dec 3, 2007.

1. titty

titty New Member

I have a 4 pc. grinder thats prettty good and has a keif catcher, only problem is that it doesnt seem to work (not very good atleast, only get a pinch to sprinkle on top a bowl after grinding an 1/8th) I'm not sure if thats just the amount of kief thats typical to get or not, I've heard people say that they have smoked kief half and half with weed and with my grinder it seems like you'd have to grind atleast an Oz to get that much, maybe I'm grinding wrong or something? ( I just break the weed so it fits in the grinder, then grind it, lol) is there a special technique I dont know about?

thanks in advance everyone, you all rock

:dead: <---- lol
  2. vern

vern Sr. Member

Just keep bustin' the bud. It can take a while to build up...and I've never seen a huge build up after an eighth. If you want to, you can give the grinder a shake (I go up and down, and side to side) when the bud is sitting in the 2 compartment, after it's broken up. A little patience can go a long way. :chokin:
  3. titty

titty New Member

I guess I'll have to be a bit more patient then, I think I'll let it build up over winter and save it for the last day of snowboarding or something (4/20/08? :) ) thanks for the fast reply Vern
    2 people like this.
  4. steakii

steakii New Member

It depends on the quality of weed too. I used to grind my mids up and i would get enough to sprinkle on a bowl about every half ounce or so. My keif catcher was also shitty the grinder 15 dollars at a gas station. But, More crystals on bud= more keif.
  5. pkster8235

pkster8235 Lazy Dancer

You can try banging the grinder down on a table to encourage more keif (and the stuff that gets stuck to the screen on the grinder) at the bottom.
    Normally I smoke about 2 grams per week, and I usually have enough every weekend to have a couple bowls with the good stuff on top as a way to kick back after a long week :D
  6. spliziff

spliziff New Member

Yeah, it takes a while to build up kief. its also good to use those really small brushes that you get with trimmers to clean off the screen, we did that to my friends grinder and coverd the bottom of the catcher.
  7. Killersquid87

Killersquid87 New Member

Also remember that if you do things to encourage the keif to fall, it might be more shake and less crystals.. I personally will sometimes put a dime or a penny in the middle compartment with the weed and shake it every here and there.. I know my keif isn't as potent, but I get to have it more often.. so it really depends on you..
    2 people like this.
  8. drOnly

drOnly its blunt o'clock

after i grind up the weed i usualy sort of rub the weed accross the screen with my finger.. also i usually knock it around a little bit just to get all the kief i can. i can usually get a nice little 1-2 hitter of kief after grinding up a 2-3 grams of bud.. and of course 1 rip gets me B1l444z33d!
  9. chadwick

chadwick Sr. Member

ya thats about average, try grinding if finer and shaking it around more and stuff like that it helps, maybe, but i do it cause you get just a little more, and it depends on your weed, if its crystaled like G13xhashplant you should be getting more, but for your average weed thats a regular amount, if you want more than get a kif box
  10. Kyler Smyler

Kyler Smyler New Member

I have a 3 piece metal grinder that's missing it's screen, so when you grind the bud it just falls down into the kef area. (kef looks weird but according to the dictionary it's proper o_O). I always just use the lid part as the bottom instead, and then use the middle as the top. That way everything stays in one place and I can get it ground up really fine. Then I go through and scrape everything into the actual bottom piece of the grinder, followed by looking through it and picking out anything I don't want in it with tweezers. The bud I get is loaded in kef, that's why I go hardcore with handling my bud. I feel if you touch it too much the kef is lost, so I avoid touching it other than taking it out of the bag and placing it into the grinder. (I use a 1/8th tea spoon to scoop it out and into the bowl hehe)
  11. sicknasty101

sicknasty101 New Member

put a nickel and a dime/solo nickel/2 dimes/solo quarter where the grinded bud falls on. (the third piece) and shake after grinding. a significantly more amount of kief/keef/keif will result.

i fell in love with this method after trying it.
    good luckk
  12. Le0n

Le0n New Member

What the process needs is the agitation of the resin stalks so by shaking the grinder for a couple of minutes with a relative amount of weed in there you will recieve a buildup. Not all marijuana is the same so you will recieve a different hash for different plants or strains.

Please reffer to Hash making tutorials in order to see the process and take that premise and put it to work with the grinder. I press my own hash at home from each ounce I buy although my hash is not as pure as my microns are a little higher, but never the less it makes for great vape.

Sometimes I do vape the small blocks or chunks, it works.
  13. GREENFOODGAMES

GREENFOODGAMES I LOVE WEED

I'm back from the dead
  14. Dark

Dark Fool on the Hill

I just let it accumulate naturally. Why bang it around or shake it up just to release resin glands? You're only making the bowl you're smoking now weaker.

I go for ounces before I even touch my kief anymore. That way it gathers up quite a bit.
    2 people like this.
  15. Le0n

Le0n New Member

Yeah that is a great method, and it is true if you shake it around you get more matter than glands so the bowls weaker.
  16. claygooding

claygooding DrugWarVeteran

When you can grow your own,take your water leaf and sugar leaf that you trim off your buds and place them on a silk screen over a mirror or plate of glass,use a shot glass or fruit juice glass and rub the leaves,shiny side down over the screen and you can produce quite a bit of kief from just one plant. If you use glass the kief won't stick to it when you get ready to scrape it up.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTaa5FayL28&feature=fvst"]>video< [/ame]
  17. Le0n

Le0n New Member

Yeah sounds like a great idea. I wouldnt be able to do that here its probably why I rely on my kief catcher.

I havent been shaking it up just grinding dry flower is enough to get a buildup.
  18. b1gb0ner

b1gb0ner New Member

keif collection

if you put a quarter on top of your screen and give the grinder a shake after grinding some herb, the quarter will knock some keif of the bud and push it through the screen if its there to harvest.