"Kush" and "Dro"

Discussion in 'Strains and Definitions' started by lookhappy, Jun 21, 2009.

1. lookhappy

lookhappy New Member

The term Kush and Dro seem to be tossed around more and more nowadays and it's a vicious cycle (for me, atleast) because I have no way to tell the difference, or if it is even either of those two. Is there any physical differences between the two that can help distinguish the two apart. I hate to feel so vulnerable....

2. Rocketman

Rocketman Sr. Member

Every dealer, every City will be different. Half of the time unless its pineapple or something you wont be getting what they say. Most times most dealers dont know what their really talking about.

3. ganja-man

ganja-man Groovy

Dro= Hydroponically grown marijuana.

Kush= refers to a subset of strains of Cannabis Indica. (Hindu kush, OG kush, purple kush, etc.)

There's really not much you can do to tell them apart, but once you have experience with high quality MJ you will be able to recognize good from bad. It's nearly impossible to i.d a strain without knowing the grower (who knows where the seeds came from).

4. troublemaker420

troublemaker420 New Member

Dro is simply hydroponically grown weed, while Kush referes to certain strains of marijuana. However, by and large, both are simply terms dealers attach to weed, knowing its a good marketing strategy. Unless you know the grower yourself, most of the time, you really DO NOT know what you are getting FOR SURE. Too many dealers simply want to sell weed, and they will tell their customers any decent weed is whatever the strain of the moment is. Quite simply, strain name means very little to me at this point. While its neat knowing what strain it is, I'm not going to pay extra just so my bud is "named". My typical sources always have good buds...sometimes known strains, sometimes "generic"...but always good.

Huh? Why do you think if they say its "pineapple" its less likely to be random weed? Unless you grow or know someone who does, all you can really do is guess whether its what tney say it is is or not, espeically if you don't have any prior exeperience with that particular strain

2 people like this.
  5. troublemaker420

troublemaker420 New Member

Northern Lights #5

oops! doublepost!

6. TokenNutritionist

TokenNutritionist New Member

^^^ what they said +1. most dealers dont know what the hell they are actually selling. lots of them will easily toss around terms kush, chronic, purple, kb, northern lights, dro, etc etc etc. unless you know the grower, you probably aren't getting what your dealer says you are getting. hell, most dealers dont even know terms like sativa or indica.

7. DHeezy81

DHeezy81 New Member

I never listen to anyone when they tell me they have a certain strain. They show me & I laugh. KB isn't thrown around so much anymore around here anyway. Kush, no one here would know what Kush was if it smacked them in the face. When you buy from dealers & not someone who grows, take everything they say with a grain of salt. Most time they just use those words as slang for decent pot.

Technically, couldn't any strain be "Dro" so long as it's grown hydroponically? I don't grow so I've no idea but it doesn't seem like you could take dirt seeds & put them in a hydro setup & get fire product...

8. lookhappy

lookhappy New Member

Yeah. I know a lot of dealers throw terms around a lot, but I wouldn't be surprised if it actually was Kush or Dro (I would be more surprised if it wasn't) because I get hookups from the city (Chicago) and it's all premo. I just didn't know if they looked different, because I never noticed a difference.

9. KMKbuzz4-2-0

KMKbuzz4-2-0 Sr. Member

Yes it could. Bagseed could be "dro". Its even possible, though not extremely common, to grow schwag that's technically dro...all you have to do is grow it hydroponically. Personally, I hate the term dro...just because it's as vague and meaningless as calling regular buds "soil".

Except the second part is a little iffy...while growing something with hydroponics doesn't guarantee potency by any means, it does give you the ability to really maximize the plant's potential if you know what you're doing...so it definetely is possible grow plants that are much better than the ones you got the seeds from.

Its great and everything as a method of cultivation, but as a general name for bud- its time for "dro" to die.
    ...and please lets not capitalize it and treat it like a strain name :( ...because most often* its just a sign of misinformation and a lack of understanding of the real workings of cannabis cultivation and production. *(most often but not always because hydroponic setups are getting more popular, but I've found that most people that grow hydroponically don't call their buds dro, they use strain names)

10. mondaymonkey

mondaymonkey Sr. Member

Dro = Hydro = Hydroponics = a type of indoor growing.

Kush = a broad sub-species of indica from northern india.

Both are pretty useless since they are so broad.

11. lookhappy

lookhappy New Member

Yeah, I think we can all agree that they are both too broad to be used as a way to determine the potency of the mj. Wouldn't it be possible to have Kush dro, if it's grown hydroponicly (sp).