Less than 1 gram?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by jade_420, Aug 30, 2002.

1. jade_420

jade_420 Guest

I live in CA. I heard that if your caught with LESS than a gram on you by the police, they cant do anything but take it away and let you walk.

Does anyone know if this is true? if so does that mean i can walk down the street smoking a jay thats less than a gram?:p
  2. poolman950

poolman950 Guest

Myth. I live in California and know for a fact that no such law is in existence. In fact, once I almost got in a great deal of trouble for merely having an empty weed bag and a piece case (not even an actual piece) on me here in Cali...he was a good cop at heart, I guess, cause he changed his mind half way through and let me off with a warning (after telling my f!cking parents - ugh!). Also, a number of my friends have gotten into a myraid of legal trouble for dime bag (here a dime bag is half a gram) joints etc....

In other words, no, the cops don't bring a scale to every bust so they can stop and say "ok hold on a minute while we weigh how much weed you've got...if its below a gram you're free, otherwise you're going down, you punk stoner."

hahaha, funny mental image there, thatd be a trip....
  3. Starforsaken

Starforsaken New Member

it pretty much comes down to the cop and if he's having a good day or not and how you act toward him... never give cops a hard time unless you KNOW for sure you did NOTHING wrong. it just leads to more problems for you.
  4. Niteshift

Niteshift L.E.O. in Good Standing

That was almost good advice.........until you said "never give cops a hard time unless you KNOW for sure you did NOTHING wrong."

How about this idea: Don't give them a "hard time" period. Asserting your rights is fine, giving them a "hard time" is different.

First, he definately knows more laws than you do. You might THINK that you know for sure that you've done nothing wrong. Do you want to bet on it.

Second, what happens the next time, when you ARE doing something wrong and he remembers you gave him a "hard time" last time around? Think you'll get a break?
  5. Conine

Conine Seasoned Activist

First, he definately knows more laws than you do. You might THINK that you know for sure that you've done nothing wrong. Do you want to bet on it.

Yeah, to back that up, how many times have you been pulled over on a traffic stop and the cop finds at least 2 things he can cite you for, but then tells you how he'll give you a break and only cite you for one? This has happened to me nearly every time that I can recall. Some examples of things they didn't cite me on: (one per stop)

- Insurance card expired by 5 days
    - Brake tag expired
    - Failure to signal when changing lanes
    - Failure to update driver's license address within 10 days of moving

Seems like EVERY time they look for that second offense. Maybe it's just so they can show you that they COULD be a hardass if you want to be one? Dunno.
  6. K9Copper

K9Copper New Member

There are several reasons. #1) Good police officers are always looking. Most cops, even off duty, usually can't help themselves but notice equipment violations, etc. You are working 8 plus hours looking for things, it is hard to mentally turn it off. #2) We hear so much, "you pulled me over cause I'm Black, etc, etc." Me: "No sir, I pulled you over cause your plates don't belong on this car, you were doing 20 over the limit, you have a head light out, you have a cracked windshield, do I have do go on?" Good cops never have 1 plan, they have 3. 1)If things go better than planned, 2)if things go the way you expect them to and 3)if ****hits the fan.
  7. AnarchistBarbie

AnarchistBarbie New Member

...and apparently there's always some jack@$$ willing to verify that there's a plan 3. :laugh: Case in point: last night an unmarked car nearly ran me down in a pedestrian crosswalk getting to a particular bus stop [after a particular guy, apparently]. I ended up at the adjacent stop, with a good view of 'the action'. All was proceeding in an ordinarily law enforced sort of way... and some guy standing around in the background at that bus stop darted forward without a word of warning and took a swing at one of the cops! [WTF? Is it my imagination or are stupid people the only ones breeding?] Of course, the cops partner produced whatever sort of blunt instrument cops here carry and started wacking the dumb@$$ without mercy... then shoved him to the ground with the assistance of cop 1, and the guy was handcuffed and left there, until matters with the guy they came to 'talk to' were resolved.

Is it any wonder cops have to have so many extra plans? LOL.
  8. Niteshift

Niteshift L.E.O. in Good Standing

"and apparently there's always some jack@$$ willing to verify that there's a plan 3. "

ALWAYS. Siempre. Toujours. Immer. Sempre. Whatever languange they speak, there is no shortage of jackazzes. :rolleyes: