Lexapro and Marijuana

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by welly21, Nov 30, 2005.

1. welly21

welly21 New Member

I was on Lexapro (an antidepressant SSRI) for 5 days, while also taking Lorazepam. On my fifth day on Lexapro, I smoked a fair amount of bud (a regular bowl with 3-4 hits), and while I was high my body starting twitching and I was shivering quite a bit. It did not feel like a normal bud high. I also felt really bad for the next 3 days since smoking. I just want to know if there are any adverse/dangerous interactions between Lexapro and Marijuana?
  2. radiocure

radiocure New Member

i took lexapro for about a year and steadily increased my dose. they warn about drinking with lexapro because it increases the effect of alcohol on your body (makes you drunk faster) but i haven't had any negative interaction between lexapro and marj. i recently stopped taking lexapro and my experiences have been the same with marj. I think that lorazepam might be the problem. hope that helps.
  3. teog

teog New Member

any anti depressents can have side effects check with your docter
  4. Tokamak

Tokamak Active Member

I've taken 20mg of Lexapro a day for almost 4 years. I've been a pot smoker the whole time, and I've never had any interaction between the two drugs, positive or negative. Lorazepam, on the other hand, is a benzodiazepine drug, a sedative in the same class as Valium. It almost certainly would have some effect in combination with marijuana, which is probably the explanation for your episode.

Peace.
  5. oneluv4boognish

oneluv4boognish New Member

Well....i was on alprazolam (xanax)....also a benzo....for 18 months. I smoked the whole time...and never had any problem with it. Friend of mine was on both lexapro and xanax and smoked...she didn't have any problems either. Everyone is different though...so nothing surprises me anymore
  6. medicineman

medicineman New Member

its definitely not the marijuana...

Hello
    i think you are experiencing side effects from your medications.
    i would say to drop the lorazepam gradually and stay on the lexapro.
    give the lexapro about a month to work properly. you should be on 10 mg to start and possibly move up to 20 mgs.,meantime as you get use to the lexapro, you can add marijuana to the mix.
    i myself am on antidepressants and smoke 3 times a day as well as drink coffee and sometimes beer so , don't worry :cool:
  7. vai113

vai113 New Member

because of lexapro i can smoke pot again... lol its great
  8. luvsdogs06

luvsdogs06 New Member

Also on antidepressants--just found MJ :)

Hello,

This is my first post. And, though I'm in my 40s, I just tried (yes, for the 1st time) marijuana on Super Bowl Sunday night. Wow! I got so stoned! :D BUT I also got relief from my constant, chronic pain from fibromyalgia, etc. Fantastic relaxation! Pain disappeared! I'm on Cymbalta & Elavil (both antidepressants). Cymbalta for my fibro--to help with my serotonin & norepinephrine levels (elevates them, supposed to help with pain perception)--and Elavil to help me sleep (it helps some).

I also have Valium, but I don't take it every day. Only time I use it is when I'm nervous/anxious or need something else to help me sleep. But MJ is obviously going to be MUCH better at helping me sleep...as well as control my pain levels. Sounds like the advice the others gave is right. (I had taken a Vicodin & a Soma about 30 mins. before I got stoned--didn't know I was going to smoke when I got there; glad I did!). I did get the munchies, but snacks were there, so I gobbled them up. :munchies: :laugh:

Anyway, I think my pain level will be relieved to some extent, and my tight muscles are gonna be relaxed. Ahhhhh! :)

(Craig Ferguson helps with laughter! CBS--The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson...I'm a Craig fan extraordinaire!) :D