Lungs lined with Resin?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by BudToker420, Jan 4, 2002.

1. BudToker420

BudToker420 Guest

I usually didnt smoke everyday up until a few months ago and ever since then when I smoke I find myself coughing a whole lot more than I usually do. I can understand how a new smokers lungs could be damaged by the smoke but ive been smoking for atleast 3 years.

For example. I can smoke a bowl just fine hitting it easy just to start my buzz off nice..But when the next one comes around I start coughing alot and I have to spit alot and it feels like theres alot of like mucus or snot or something like stuck in my throat and it makes me keep coughing but never to the point where I puke.

I thought about it for awhile and then came to the conclusion that maybe your lungs collect resin like any smoking device does.
    Could this be true??? It makes perfect sense and maybe im just not getting enough oxygen to my lungs when I smoke.

This ever happen to anyone else?
    Oh yeah and about 90% of the time me and my friends smoke we are in someones car cheeching it up..You think this might have something to do with it???

2. footix

footix New Member

Makes me glad I'm a weekend smoker only :D , but I can relate to some of what you said. Usually I just smoke enough to get high, but twice (yea I don't smoke alot) I just went out to smoke as much as possible. One day it was 1 joint and 10 waterbong hits (no not in one sitting), and the other time it was 1 joint alone, 1/2 a blunt and 1/2 a really fat joint with 4 people, then 12 hits off a homemade hookah (with 4 other friends) and then we passed 3 joints around. After awhile I found myself caughing hard to where I could feel that sensation of nausea -- not a pleasant experience. Keep in mind all the stuff we had was shwag although pretty good shwag at that. If I could get some better stuff in my area then I probably wouldn't have to resort to damaging my lungs as badly. :(

3. Paulie420

Paulie420 New Member

Well, heres my addition. I've been smoking fulltime, like everyday for about 5 years. Generally, I'll smoke right when I wake up a bowl, then I burn a joint on the way to work. Usually I smoke up on my lunch - and then once I get home its an all out smokefest. So, I guess you could say I smoke a lot. Anyway - I think that you are correct when you say the lungs collect resin like any other smoking device. However, some of that is removed from fluids and etc... our lungs aren't exactly a glass bowl that has NOTHING except smoke going through it... so one would assume that the air we breathe and liquids in our body take SOME away...

Of all my smoking pot, I have the same things that a cigarette smoker does. In the morning, I have flem build-up that has to come out... but for me, when I smoke is when I *don't* cough.

This may sound stupid but - slow down a bit. Don't take HUGE bong rips. If yer usually getting stoned in a car that prolly means yer usually taking HUGE hits to get really ripped. Just take it easier - smoke over longer periods of time. Instead of a 5 minutes bowl make it last 10.

If I take a HUGE rip off my bong - then of course - I hack my ass off... I dunno, maybe this helps...

2 people like this.
  4. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

Some Mama advice:

Drink lots and lots and lots of water. Unlike the tar from cigarettes, the resin in cannabis will be flushed from your system using the natural protiens in your lungs (water alone won;t cut it, if you've tried to clean out a pipe under water you will know this)...despite popular D.A.R.E. information, the resin has not been found to be carcinogenic, a fact that has received very little press. However, you must keep the mucous secretion in the body well thinned out to allow your body to work properly. You'll know if you are dehydrated if you get "cotton-mouth". Its when you don;t get cotton mouth that you know you are properly hydrated.

First thing in the morning, if you cough up phlegm? You probably have a post nasal drip. This is due to a lot of things, allergies and smoking are the top of the list. If you can expectorate the phlegm (ie SPIT) then do spit it out. Gargling with warm salted water will also remove some of this mess from your throat and your nose. ANd of course, cutting back on the smoke will provide less irritiation. If this is a regualr occurrence, you may have an additional allergy, and might want to consider an over the counter antihistimine for one or two nights to see if that dries up the post nasal drip, and washing your pillows, bedding and covering them in mildew resistant bedding covers makes a huge difference as well.

Hope those ideas help you a bit...

5. footix

footix New Member

Mamabudz, how long does it take for the resin to wash out of your lungs? I smoke weekends only at the most if that helps. One more question, I remember as a young kid seeing a picture of a cigarette smoker's lungs in an anti-smoking campaign. They were black, it looked quite bad, and then they showed a picture of a non-smoker's lungs which looked much healthier -- would smoking marijuana create a simular effect or not?

6. Orange

Orange New Member

Heh

Superb, BudToker420!

I just wanted to start a subject about this 'cause I am experiencing exactly the same thing. I smoke about 3-4 times in a week perhaps. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less...

I usually cough up these black phlegm pieces. Is is the resin?

Also, I don't smoke tobacco or anything else. Only Weed :)

7. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

The black phlegmy pieces are usually ash...from doobs...try using a water pipe/bong.

The tar in cigarettes WILL eventually cause in a HEAVY smoker (3 pack a day) "black lung" similar to the folks who work in coal mines (as defined by the world reknowned physician and scientist Dr. Irving Selikoff (dc'd), Mt. Sinai Hospital -- Public Health Division who made bot the asbestosis cancer link and the cigarette tar cancer link)

The difference is the TAR in cigaretes is not the same as the RESIN in cannabis. And the body can dissolve and remove ythose resins, as opposed to the build up of tars in the lungs. Also cannabis has cancer fighting properties as well as immuno-stimulating properties that tobacco does not contain.

Smoke is an irritant however and WILL cause your body to increase mucous production. YOur best defense to that is to keep the secretions as thin as possible. Drink WATER all the time...carry a bottle of mineral water (and refill it at the water fountain ;)) But Sip Sip Sip. Will you cough up phlegm in the morning? Probably...learn to spit it out...check to see if there are spots of black ash...adjust your smoking accordingly.

The bottom line is, smoking cannabis (as opposed to drinking, inhaling vapour, using a tincture, or eating) will cause smoke and smoke is an irritant your body will try to expell and protect against.

If you choose to smoke cannabis, you are choosing to have this side effect. If in your mind that is a fair trade off, then that is your choice.

Toke responsibly,

As a "heavy smoker" (3+ doobs a day)

8. pixelpusher6

pixelpusher6 New Member

Mamabudz i have to disagree with you on this one. Resin is shown not to be carcinogenic????!!!!! This is completely false. Any time you burn something (gasoline in cars, cigarettes, or dank budz) you are releasing carcinogens from the breakdown of carbons. What you are telling people is pro-pot talk and not medical fact. Resin and tar from cigarettes are in fact very closely related. Basically the only difference between them is cigarette tar has more chemicals.

-what medical textbook did this come from??? Its true that some resin will be cleaned out but only "some". I can assure you that if you look at a pot smokers lung it wouldn't look like a healthy non-smokers lung.

-wow!!! do u sell pot for a living??? because you sure market it well.

My point is this: smoking pot is harmful to the lungs and CAN cause cancer. Heres a list of symtoms from cancernet all smokers should read-

-A cough that doesn't go away and gets worse over time
    -Constant chest pain
    -Coughing up blood
    -Overproduction of mucus
    -Shortness of breath, wheezing, or hoarseness
    -Repeated problems with pneumonia or bronchitis
    -Swelling of the neck and face
    -Loss of appetite or weight loss
    -Fatigue
    These symptoms may be caused by lung cancer or by other conditions. It is important to check with a doctor.

Another thing you have to watch out for is the throat cancers. So stay informed from medical professionals and not people who are pro-pot.

9. Greenman

Greenman Seasoned Activist

First pixel, understand a couple of things.

1> Cigerette smoking does not CAUSE cancer, it increases a persons risk for certian types of cancer, and that is important. You were not clear on this in your post, so I am taking the moment to clarify.

2> The parts of the tobacco and cannibas plants that is smoked are totally different. Tobacco leaves are smoked where as marijuana flowers are smoked. The vast majority of studies comparing cannibas and tobacco use the cannibas leaf, which is not what is smoked, and therefore skew the results of the experiements. The bud is much heathier to smoke than the leaf. And contains much less of the carcinogenic chemicals that are found in smoked leaf form. Cannibas also does not abosrb radiation as readily as tobacco does, nor does it store it the same way.

3> The composition of car exhaust, ciggerette smoke, and cannibas smoke is radically different. Car exhaust contains heavy metals amongst other nasties, ciggerettes contain over 600 added chemicals, including 12 different types of ethers in addition to those found in tobacco, and cannibas has none of these. Tests done on ciggerettes and cancer are including many non-naturally occuring agents.

4> While the burning of plant matter and inhaling the smoke cannot be good for you. The human lung is a product of evolution. Humans have been burning plant matter since the dawn of fire for warmth and energy, and for the vast part of our existance, in fairly non ventilated enclosures. Again, smoke of any kind is not good for the lungs, but the lungs have adapted over the course of thousands of years to cope with the common gases and particles found in smoke. NOT heavy metals found in car exhaust or such a complete hodgepodge of chemicals as found in ciggerettes.

5> The vast amount of research on cannibas has focused around a single cannibinoid, THC. Very little has been focused on the remaining dozens of cannibinoids in marijuana. One of which, CBD I believe, has been used successfully in clinical trials to obliterate inoperable brain tumors in patients. So to completely dismiss cannibas's cancer fighting abilities out of hand is, to say the least, premature.

Onto your cited sideffects. I assume that some if not all of these refer to ciggerette smoking, unless other wise specified. But I will talk about each briefly in the context of marijuana.

-A cough that doesn't go away and gets worse over time.
    A symptom of overuse. Once stopped, the cough will subside fairly quickly. Marijuana has also been used for thousands of years as an expectorant, or a substance that makes you cough. Coughing is one of the bodies ways of clearing out irritants and pollutants from the lungs, and has been therorized to actually add a couple of years onto a ciggerette smokers life because it helps clear tar from the lungs.

-Constant chest pain.
    Not sure on this one, but I would imagen it is related to the coughing in general. Sore muscles and diaphram from severe contractions. Something that is not life threatening, and will go away when use stops.

-Coughing up blood
    This is due normally to extreeme overuse. To many irratants in the lungs at one time, and NOT a common or even uncommon side effect of marijuana.

-Overproduction of mucus
    Mama has covered this already.

-Shortness of breath, wheezing, or hoarseness
    Marijuana expands the bronchi in the lungs, there is more volume to fill with the same amount of air, which can give someone the feeling of being short of breath.

-Repeated problems with pneumonia or bronchitis
    I have not seen or read anything that links marijuana to either of these two illnesses, unless the person also smoked ciggerettes.

-Swelling of the neck and face.
    Irratants in the neck can cause some swelling and inflamation. This is a normal body reaction, and is not in and of itself dangerous or life threatening.

-Loss of appetite or weight loss
    I don't think anyone is going to think marijuana would cause either or these two. Even if they did, which it does not, it would not be near the severity as simple depression that afflicts tens of millions of Americans.

-Fatigue
    Well, ya got me on that one. Pot does make ya a little sleepy.

Peace

10. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

~Repeated problems with pneumonia or bronchitis
    I have not seen or read anything that links marijuana to either of these two illnesses, unless the person also smoked ciggerettes.

Well, mouldy weed spores when inhaled will introduce an irritant that could, if your immune system is otherwsie comprimised by a respiratory infection, etc, further irritate the bronchii causing inflamation (bronchitis) and thereby make one more susceptibel to the pneumonia bacterium.

That's why I strongly suggest people do not smoke moldy weed, nor cook with it in such a way that they are susceptible to inhaling mold spores released through the drying and heatng process caused by cooking it.

Mama Budz

11. footix

footix New Member

Do you have any links to these studies?

12. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

Absolutely ~ what would you like to see?

Many of theses studies are Dutch, German, Italian and Hebrew ~ the USA has not allowed studies be done for over 25 years ~ .

Mama Budz

13. footix

footix New Member

Every link you can find; in addition to personal interest (and proving non-smoking friends wrong), I am also going to write a college paper on the war on drugs.

14. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

I applaud your interest in acquiring all the knowledge you can but I don't have time to do your research for your college papers!

I appreciate the faith you have in my research abilities though :rolleyes:

I suggest you begin by starting on this site in this thread and read all the posts. Many already have links and the information you are looking for.

Back in my day we even had to go out of the dorm to the library in the cold and snow to do research...I think you can click a few buttons and read a few posts before you start asking ol' Mama here to write your term papers.

When you have a question on what you are reading, post it here on the boards and we'll all see how we can help you along to that covetted A!

It is your responsibility as the next generation of intellectuals to convince the planet of the benefits of the cannabis plant and that the benefits greatly outweight the detriment of prohibition and illegalization. You need to learn those skills in school now by trying to do the assignment as best you can.

Good Luck

Mama Budz

15. footix

footix New Member

Er sorry... :( I thought you already had the links right there, I wasn't expecting you to do the research for me.

16. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

Not a problem.

Sounds like you need a starting point. Try this site www.hashishnet.com. YOu'll at least enjoy the pictures, but read it too.

Then do a search for the name Jack Herer and a book he wrote called The Emperor has No Clothes

Try yahoo...or google and do a search using Cannabis rather than marijuana or pot. Also do searches looking for the various chemicals of cannabis THC, cannabinoids (general name for all cannabis chemicals) CBD and CBN which are short hand for other chemicals recently discovered.

Look in the SCIENCE & Technology section of the News Archives on the front page (most of my most recent finds end up in the News on the front page of Marijana.com)

Good luck and don't give up now...you've got a lot of eye opening work ahead of you

17. l-lyl)r()

l-lyl)r() Guest

i found out when my glass bowl gets hot, it tastes like shyt and makes me cough, try givin urself a few minutes between bowls, when u spark ythe second bowl after a break, the first hit ****s u up so bad i dunno y but it does, jus try lettinb ur pipe cool a lil before the next bowl, or when u get that feeling or when u cough alot chill for a few mins or take real small hits

18. pixelpusher6

pixelpusher6 New Member

ok let me ask this question. Do you have any studies that are non-biased towards marijuana??? Maybe some done by medical journals???

19. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

You obviously have not checked the NEWS section as I suggested or you would not be askin the question "Maybe some done by medical journals???"

Since most if not all of those articles are from scientific and medical journals, your asking that question does make you appear rather foolish.

~ have a cookie

Mama Budz

20. Greenman

Greenman Seasoned Activist

The Institute of Medicine Report on Cannibas a fairly good synopsis on the medical science behind Marijuana. You can find the executive summery on which at Marijuananews.com

Take a look into cannibas's use in preventing brain damage in stroke victems here

Peace