Marijuana and Prednisone

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by Vicki, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

I have taken Predisone Dose Pak's before for Pneumonia, but I've never had to take it routinely, until recently. My Rheumatologist has prescribed Prednisone 5mg daily now to help the pain and swelling in my joints.

I really hate the side effects of Prednisone, and I think it's affecting how I feel when I use marijuana. I feel more light headed than before, and just not quite right. I know that Prednisone can do that by itself, but it feels worse after I use marijuana. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Prednisone is a steroid.

2. martian_marvin

martian_marvin New Member

Prednisone makes me feel horrible too.
    The best thing to do would be to switch to something like Enbrel. The side effects aren't bad.

3. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

I actually asked her about those injectable suppresion medications, but she doesn't want to put me on one yet. The next medication she wants to put me on is Methotrexate. I am getting relief from the Prednisone, I just hate how it makes me feel, and how it mixes with marijuana. :(

4. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

I just discovered that the bad feeling from the Prednisone is worse when I vaporize. :( It's better when I smoke out of a glass pipe. I hope this is something that will go away because I can't give up vaporizing because of a stupid steroid. :(

5. Muggze

Muggze New Member

Oh man my grandma takes that, it screws her up bad with side effects to her hearing, skin and her eyesight. It even exasperates any other problem sometime.

Gl with your problem viki, All I can say is be very careful with that shit and plleaassse talk to him about NOT taking it everyday just because it has messed up my grandma pretty bad from everyday use.

6. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

When she suggested it, I told her how much I hated it, but she said 5mg daily is a baby dose, and shouldn't cause me ill side effects. I do need relief from pain and inflammation, but not with these side effects I'm feeling. I know using marijuana helps my pain, but apparently it's not enough. I decided to turn off my vaporizer for the weekend, and just smoke out of my glass pipe for the rest of the weekend and see how I feel. I already know that vaporizing makes me feel worse when I'm using Prednisone. I also told her I was going to stop taking it if I started feeling bad. I didn't dream vaporizing while on it would make me feel so much worse.

7. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

Insomnia

I've only been taking Prednisone since Tuesday morning, but I am already getting side effects. The past couple nights I've had terrible insomnia, depsite the fact that I've been smoking kief. It's like the Predisone is cancelling out the kief. :( I have a feeling I'm going to stop taking this on my own eventually, and just tell her next month when I see her again. Either that, or cut back to a half a tablet(2.5mg), and see how I feel on that. I really need the marijuana to work for my stomach's sake, and my joint pain.

8. martian_marvin

Refuse to take the prednisone. Your doctor will have to prescribe something different.
    I took prednisone for a week for my psoriasis, but after that, your body can become dependent on it. It also has harmful long term side effects (osteoporosis, depression, weight gain, type II diabetes).

9. Muggze

Muggze New Member

Yea I always wondered why giving my grandma two norco and a sleeping pill only kept her asleep for 2 hours! Yes I was just going to say you could cut it in half again and even then maybe go every other day with that?

I don't know your whole problems but does she want you on the pill indefinite now or for a few months?

10. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

I was up til 3AM, not able to sleep. I went ahead and cut back to half a tablet this morning, and I'll take that daily for a few days.

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, so she's trying to help my pain and imflammation. Since I have stomach problems, taking NSAIDS is out of the question. She gave me 30 Prednisone tablets, with 1 refill. Instructions 1/2-1 tablet daily.

I really don't know what my Rheumatologist has planned, but I wish I could tell her marijuana helps my joint pain, so we could work my other meds around that. However, I'm not in a medical marijuana state, so I can't do that.

I really need the marijuana to work, so I hope cutting back to half a tablet does the trick. If not, I'm stopping this crap, or maybe take it every other day, like you said. At least I can tell her I really did try to take this junk.

11. Muggze

Muggze New Member

That is very unfortunate and also not easy when MJ is so expensive. Are you able to eat cannabis?

Here is a page about horsetail for natural remedy for inflammation.

Horsetail Herbal Remedy To Stop Inflammation

Its to bad they don't have Natural doctors that specialize in that so you wouldn't have such a hard time with side effects.

12. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

I went to that link, and read this:

Horsetail is a herbal remedy that can be used to stop inflammations. Horsetail has a dry, slightly bitter taste. Some of the major constituents of this plant include alkaloids (including nicotine) and several minerals including potassium, manganese, and magnesium. As such, this herb is considered potent. As a herbal remedy, it is used as an astringent, an anti-inflammatory, a tissue healer, a strong diuretic and it can also stop bleeding.

It bothers me that it contains nicotine, but I'll still ask about it at my local herb store, thank you. :)

I tried making cannabutter, but I just can't stand the taste. The only thing I consume is cannabis tincture. My stomach can handle it, so far.

13. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

Why not? I don't live in a medical marijuana state and I've discussed it at length with my doctor. I was taking a med that had nasty side effects and didn't work very well. Medical marijuana has no side effects and does a much better job. My doctor was skeptical at first, but she couldn't argue with the results.

Doctor/patient communications are confidential, so you don't have to worry about the legal aspects. Some people are embarrassed to let their doctors know that they use marijuana. I think that's ridiculous. The doctor is there to work with you and help you, not judge you. If your doctor can't handle that, it might be time to seek out one who can.

2 people like this.
  14. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

Where I am, it's extremely difficult to find a good doctor. If I tell any of them, I risk them dropping me as a patient, which they would every right to do. All my doctor's are good doctor's, and compassionate. It took me a while to find the doctor's I have. I don't want to risk telling them, them dropping me, then I don't have a doctor anymore. Can you understand that? It has nothing to do with legal issues or being embarrassed.

15. martian_marvin

It can be impossible to find a great doctor, I know where you are coming from. I used to have a great psychiatrist, but then she moved. Then I had a decent one, who no longer covered my insurance. So I switched to a doctor who I had to sit in the waiting room for hours, and dropped him. Then I went to my last psychiatrist who I could never understand, and was very stingy with the meds. So I quit that system and went to a neurologist, who will give me practically anything I ask for if it's reasonable.
    Finding good doctors are nearly impossible, and if they are good, they have a waiting room that will take hours to go through.

2 people like this.
  16. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

I went through two General Practitioner's before I found the one I have now, and I love her. I got lucky with my G.I. doctor. He is the only G.I. doctor I've seen, but he's great. I had to wait two months to get my first appointment with my Rheumatologist.

17. Muggze

Muggze New Member

Yea I don't know what else to say but I would seek out any natural remedy and stay faaaar away from pharmaceutical things. Whens your next doc appointment?

2 people like this.
  18. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

I agree. I try to keep my RX meds to a minimum. I see my Rheumatologist again next month, on the 23rd. I know she's going to ask how I've been doing on the Prednisone and Lortab. I'm going to tell her the truth. I don't like the way the Prednisone makes me feel, and gives me minimal pain and inflammation relief. I don't like Lortab either, but I can't take NSAIDS.

I do feel a little better today. I only took half a tablet this morning, of the Prednisone. Marijuana is helping me a little better today, and I'm hoping to get a decent nights sleep tonight.

19. Muggze

Muggze New Member

Thats good your feeling better, I don't think you caught my question a while back about eating cannabis? Im sure if you could eat a cookie it would help you feel better and help with inflammation.

We are going to try and cut my grandma down to 5mg a day from 10mg and I thought we could maybe even try and go down to 7.5 instead. So if you end up sticking to taking half a pill every other day let me know how it works out.

20. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

Thank you. :) I did. I said I tried cannabutter, and could not take the taste. I do use cannabis tincture.

Right now, I'm at a half tablet daily, and go from there.