Marijuana and Xanax

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by lefisca, Jun 6, 2004.

1. lefisca

lefisca New Member

Does anyone know if it's ok to smoke marijuana while on a low dose of Xanax? I know that mixing any two drugs probably isn't smart anyway, but has anyone been alright with this?

2. Greenbud

Greenbud Activist

I've smoked while on Xanax before, and the only thing I noticed was that I got a little more sedated than with one or the other alone. I was also taking a full dose of the Xanax. I read in one of your other posts that you were taking a quarter of a 25mg tablet instead of a whole dose. That's probably smart; however, it doesn't appear to be doing much for your anxiety attacks. The fact that your worst problems are early in the morning and when you wake up is probably due to the fact that the marijuana/Xanax has worn off at that time and your brain is reacting to it. Did your doc give you time release tabs or are you breaking up your dosage throughout the day? Try taking the Xanax before bedtime to see if it helps any.

You might try sending a private message to Medicalman and see if he has any thoughts on mixing the two together.

2 people like this.
  3. iGame3D

iGame3D Activist

I also suggest following your prescription to the letter.

Well normally I'd say that for anti-biotics, because nasty things can happen.

In your case, according to the drug literature itself, the risk is mental/or physical, addiction to Xanax itself. And Basically intesification of the effects of both drugs.

Just look at Jeb Bush's hideous daughter, the Xanax junkie

Don't let that happen to you.
    from Xanax.drugs.com
    Ok Cannabis is not mentioned, and it falls into the pain reliver, anxiety medicine, siezure medecine, muscle relaxant, categories to some degree.

Thing is, if you keep combining the two, you will never really know which one is actually helping your condition.

Proceed with caution (but a mellow, anxiety free caution :) )

4. lefisca

lefisca New Member

Thanks guys! I'm starting to get feedback from other people that what I'm experiencing in the morning and sometimes throughout the day could be anxiety due to GERD. GERD is that acid reflux thing that causes buildup in the esophogus, so I'm going to get a test for that next. Looking back, my anxiety seems to coincide with eating, like after I eat a bite of anything I get indigestion. I don't know. I have to get an endoscopy for that, where they stick the tube down your throat. Joy.

5. xxdr_zombiexx

xxdr_zombiexx Leftist Blogger

I'd recommend staying away from Xanax if at all possible.

It is a benzodiazapine and they are the worst things to get addicted to. Withdrawl is a ***** and sometimes fatal.

Resist the urge and idea of using it "for fun".

Canabis is safe - xanax is dangerous.

2 people like this.
  6. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

:wave: One more point...

Marijuana will increase the effectiveness of xanax so ...use less.

Using less xanax will also mean less of an addicitive substance in your system. Zombie's right, the benzo's are mighty nsty things to become addicted to...

Hugz,

Mama Budz

7. TreesNSpliffs

TreesNSpliffs New Member

Yeah, Xanax makes no sense as a recreational drug. As a prescribed medication for people with anxiety issues, it's quite effective, but most effective in low doses and not depended on daily.

Mod note: Your post is about an off-topic drug and unlike the topic, you make no mention of mj, so you're in violation of the rules. Get familiar with the Guidelines and stay in bounds.

"Discussion of other drugs is allowed in context/conjunction with marijuana. Threads/posts dedicated to other drugs/substances alone whether legal or illegal are considered off topic and will be tanked with a warning/infraction given."
    http://www.marijuana.com/introductions/123766-posting-guidelines.html

8. Kyle420

Kyle420 New Member

I've taken xanax while being stoned before. I had the 2mg bars which is the highest you can get and I only do it about every 6 months, it just ain't my cup of tea. Combined with the marijuana and if you have no tolerance to xanax, you will be asleep in an hour but you will have the best, dreamless sleep of your life and wake up feeling like a million bucks. Make sure you have weed to smoke the next morning upon waking up.

9. thelonglostson

thelonglostson New Member

Meanwhile, 6 years later...

10. solomons_lion

solomons_lion New Member

Its a good time, thats all you need to know.

11. paul_living777

paul_living777 New Member

I've used Xanax with mj on many occasions. It doesn't really enhance my experience - but it certainly does settle my nerves if I feel any sort of anxiety coming on as a result of smoking.

Just the same way as it settles you down when you're not stoned - for me it does the same thing. I certainly wouldn't do it with lots of alcohol though...

12. InZane4all

InZane4all New Member

From someone who used to be on Xanax, stay away from mixing the two. Plus, why would you be taking Xanax if MMJ is suppose to be a replacement for Xanax?

I'm on MMJ because I used to be on Xanax and Valium non-stop, but couldn't function. Sure, it helped my symptoms, but what's the point if I can't go to work, hang out with friends, and sleep all day? Other people will tell you it's the best experience you can have, but not everyone is the same. You can have the best fucking trip of your life or the worst. It's really Russian Roulette.

If you do stick with MMJ and Xanax, be prepared to go on a crazy ride.... But seriously, try to avoid it if you can.

13. AstroCoaster

AstroCoaster Sr. Member

I wouldn't recommend going near Xanax. Especially when you combine it with Marijuana or god knows what. It has an effect that releases your inhibitiones a bit and you can end up saying stupid things wile your on it or tell people stuff you don't want them to know. Its much more addictive than any of the other benzo's. Its not like Valium its kind of more like Versed in a way. So just stay away from the stuff. Just giving you a heads up about it.

14. Dedbr

Dedbr Domestic War Veteran

I don't know if it still says it, but the Physicians Desk Reference used to say straight out that herb would intensify the effect. My shrink told me that Valium and Xanax were the exact same thing, the only difference being that Xanax was a quick acting form of benzo and Valium was time released.

In my opinion mixing herb with either one is a very bad idea because these are powerful drugs with nasty side effects.....:(

Just let me smoke my herb and that will be all I need. Both of these drugs are just too potent for me...........;)

Ded.............

15. AstroCoaster

AstroCoaster Sr. Member

:eek: " My shrink told me that Xanax and Valium were the exact same thing, the only difference being that Xanax was a quick acting form of a benzo and Valium was time released. "

How can you say that ? Xanax and Valium are related to eachother, but the effects they have on a person are quite different. Also Valium is a long acting benzo not a " time released one ".

If you compared Ativan or a number of other benzo's that weren't in the "zolam" abreviation catigory and compared it to Valium. I would have agreed with you.

Please carefully go over the technical medical information. This way when people ask about Marijuana and Medicin they get the best answer. :)

I don't want to bug you or anything man, but when I see something that contradics one of my posts and the information isn't accurate I have to say something.

16. LonerStoner

LonerStoner Peace, Love, and Pot!

Xanax and Valium are not the same thing. They generally have similar-ish effects and a difference in time frame of those effects, however the difference isn't that of a time release mechanism.

Xanax is alprazolam and Valium is diazepam.

Drugs with the time-release/non-time-release relationship would be something like Oxycontin and Percocet, both are oxycodone. With these drugs, a similar-sh relationship to the relationship between Xanax and Valium would be the relationship between oxycodone and another opiate. EDIT: Not hydrocodone though, just because it has the same ending though.

As far as the mixing marijuana with any of these drugs, you should be careful. I would try with low doses before just going all out on either one to be sure, but I have a few family member that are habitual smokers and also take Xanax. They do fine, but everyone's chemistry is different, so you should still be very cautious.