Marijuana and your thyroid

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by GreatTree, Sep 19, 2008.

1. GreatTree

GreatTree New Member

Hi everyone. I am located in the USA and there is like, little to no info on what I am looking for. I have been damned with a hyper thyroid and it is freakin miserable. Im trying to find out info on:
    1.Does smoking cause thyroid problems?
    2. Does smoking help with a hyper thyroid?

That is where I would like to start. My TSH levels got critical a few weeks ago so if anyone in here has a questin for me, please please feel free to ask. I have learned a lot about what this is all about and have been told that my option is to "melt my thyroid with radiation and take pills for the rest of your life"

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm NO THANKS.

Thanks!
    2 people like this.
  2. GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle New Member

1. Smoking cannabis has been known to increase the appetite and cause certain individuals to eat more. (IE: Munchies)
    2. For the time being, it is unknown if smoking cannabis will decrease the production of the thyroid gland.

In your case, since you want to avoid radiation and such....look in to herbal supplements that balance the thyroid production. A local health food store/grocier will be more than adequate to find such supplements. If not contact The Pain and Stress Therapy Center at 1-800-669-2256 and ask about Symplex M.

Iodine helps regulate the thyroid among other things. A defiency of iodine induces hypothyroidism. Too much iodine induces hyperthyroidism.

Iodine and Hyperthyroidism
  3. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

I am Hypothyroid: (under active Thyroid gland)

Hypothyroidism Information on Healthline

You have Hyperthyroidism: (over active Thyroid gland)

Hyperthyroidism Information on Healthline

I wanted to get the links up here so that people know the difference in these two diseases, so that you would not get incorrect advice. ;)

Here is information copied from the Hyperthyroidism link:

Hyperthyroidism or thyrotoxicosis occurs when the thyroid releases too many of its hormones over a short (acute) or long (chronic) period of time. Many diseases and conditions can cause this problem, including:

Graves disease
    Non-cancerous growths of the thyroid gland or pituitary gland
    Tumors of the testes or ovaries
    Inflammation (irritation and swelling) of the thyroid due to viral infections or other causes
    Ingestion (taking in through the mouth, such as in eating) of large amounts of thyroid hormone
    Ingestion of excessive iodine

Here is the treatment listed there:

Treatment

Treatment varies depending on the cause of the condition and the severity of symptoms. Hyperthyroidism is usually treated with antithyroid medications, radioactive iodine (which destroys the thyroid and stops the excess production of hormones), or surgery to remove the thyroid.

If the thyroid must be removed with radiation or surgery, replacement thyroid hormones must be taken for the rest of the person's life.

Beta-blockers like propranolol are used to treat some of the symptoms including rapid heart rate, sweating, and anxiety until the hyperthyroidism can be controlled.

I take a Thyroid pill, and if I don't take it, I get really sick. I have not been able to find anything talking about marijuana and Thyroid disease, and I don't believe it has ever made a difference in my own Thyroid disease.

I also buy iodized salt because it is expecially good for me, but it would not be for you.
    2 people like this.
  4. dirtbomb

dirtbomb Hippie

I know from personal exp. that Beta blockers and Pot don't mix very well.:(
    Accidentally took one before toking up and ended up with an angina attack!
    Blood pressure meds are somewhat flexible. You can tell your doc that you don't like betas and to put you on something else.
    Hoping this might apply to Hyperthyroidism, as well. :)
    2 people like this.
  5. GreatTree

GreatTree New Member

Well, I have been doing about 2 hours of research a day atleast on this since I found this out. The funny thing is, all the decent info is from canada or the UK. I dont know what a angina attack is but I will look it up. Oddly enough, Hyperthyroidism or Graves disease is on the list of diseases that would qualify me for a card.
    The suggested strain is Blueberry or strawberry Kush. I dont grow and cant even get that kind of stuff around here.
    But I thought it was interesting that it is on the list and has a specific strain assigned to it. The other odd thing is, in my searches I am always lead to the marijuana sites , not by choice, by what comes up to dig for info on. The Canadians are convinced it helps.

As I said I am doing daily research on this, I am no Doctor and have already learned that there are over 70 kinds of metabolism in humans, so, what happens to me when I take somthing , wont happen the same to someone else.

One thing I just started that is AWESOME and makes me feel much better and that is Yoga. Just the simple breathing and spinal alignment exercise is like firing up. (well almost... add the yoga and the Toga;) and I am pain and gitter and sweat free for about 3-4 hours.

DirtBomb, thanks for that insight, it prompted me to call the pharmacy. I am on Propylthiouracil which thankfully they said is not a beta blocker it is a anti thyroid agent. So I can keep eating my cat nips.

If anyone would like to ask me questions, I am more than happy to answer, again I am not a doctor but am trying to learn about all this. This forum is very classy, polite and I appreciate your time.
    Thank you
    The Great Tree.
  6. GreatTree

GreatTree New Member

Also thank you Vicki! somehow I missed your post when I logged into this.
    Yea, I apologize for your condition man, its miserable. I would think weed with hypo would not be good but with hyper it seems to help slooooow things down a bit.
    I can eat 30mg of valume and no one can tell. I have acute chronic hyper thyroid.
    We are going through everything at where I work to see if there is Iodine in anything...

I know that Tree makes me feel better, valium makes me feel dirty and it has bad side effects like bad addiction. Im on it now and being very very careful not to be stuck on tree and valium. Thats why I am trying to get to the bottom of this with all my ducks in a row before I go talk to my Doc.
  7. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

As long as I take my Thyroid pill, I'm ok. If I don't, that's when I start to really get sick. I've only been w/o my Thyroid medication once, and it really sucked.

As long as your checking at work for Iodine, make sure you check the salt too. It would not surprise me if it is Iodized. Better safe than sorry, or even bring your own salt to work.
  8. GreatTree

GreatTree New Member

See Viki, thanks!
    I eat salt on everything (also in process of changing diet!) I even put salt on my pizza. !
    Ill be checking ALL my salt now.
    THANK YOU!
  9. GreatTree

GreatTree New Member

I have changed all my salt and 2 days later I ALREADY feel a difference in my bloating.
    Thank you Vicki! That was great great advice! For real, it made a difference in my life. Thank you!
    2 people like this.
  10. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

I am so glad you are feeling better. It's surprising to some people how a change in diet can help, but a lot of the times, it really does. :)
  11. boshane11

boshane11 New Member

Hey guys wish I knew about all of you earlier. First here is my thyroid backround. I was first diagnosed with hashimotos thyroiditis. Then after a while it flipped and turned into hyperthyroidism (happens to less than 5%). I recently had radiation iodine done. I currently take anti-thyroid pills and a beta-blocker(walking up steps gets my heart rate going if i go too fast) . I smoked marijauna as a stoner for most of this except for the radiation. The thing is now that I look back on it, i think weed helped with some of my syptoms. I havent smoked since i had the radiation done one week ago from today. Any new info would help and if you know what is in the future for me please share (I go back to the endocronologist in 6 weeks).
  12. jaxlynchristine

jaxlynchristine New Member

im hyper thyroid too! possible.graves

Ok, so these posts are old... But maybe this will help others. I have been juicing beets with Apple and pear and a carrot and it gives me the most amazing burst of energy! I've thought of smoking and wanted to learn more but my fear is that I'm already sooo tired.. any more info on how it helps would be great.
  13. hulksmash

hulksmash New Member

Hashimoto's symptom relief

I've had Hashimoto's for two years now and suffer from weakness, fast heart, anxiety, chills, insomnia and body aches. I would love to know the Canadian sites that other posters mentioned. Would love to hear from anyone that got relief of hashimoto symptoms with marijuana.
  14. Buddhapest

Buddhapest New Member

My cat has hyperthyroid so I came here to see if some mj in her food might help. What I do know is that cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, kale, brussels sprouts...all have something that counteracts the excess thyroid output. The vet has her on a low iodine diet that lowers the thyroid output, and then the cauliflower I put in her food works after the thyroid. She seems to be doing much better.
  15. losey

losey New Member

This may sound crazy, but seriously consider not consuming ANYTHING containing flourinated water. That means tap water, most fast food. Different cities and states have different regulations. Your thyroid absorbs insulin, but it also absorb flouride (commercial class flouride is litterally used in pest control). This will calcify your pineal gland and poison your organs. Most effectively in children unforunitaly.

There's actually a chemist running for city council in Austin Texas looking to remove it from their city. She explains the science. YouTube: "Anti-Fluoride Activist Runs for Austin City Council"
  16. losey

losey New Member

Correction: it absorbs iodine not insulin
  17. hatrack

hatrack New Member

O.K. Marijuana helps hyperthyroid. I believe that. Does the marijuana block thyroid or just help slow down the effects of overactive thyroid? What about us hypothyroid ppl, relying on synthroid and such? What will marijuana do for hypothyroid? Sounds like it's to be avoided?? Or maybe just get my meds adjusted once I've gotten used to the smoke?? Thing is, I have what seems to be symptoms of hyper, yet I'm hypo. So MMJ helps me with tremor and slows me down.
  18. regeniaparsons

regeniaparsons New Member

Medical marijuana can stimulate appetite and instigate weight gain. This is one of the best-supported effects of medical marijuana in the marijuana literature.