Marijuana Before Surgery? Before Anesthesia?

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by Captain Binger, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Captain Binger

Captain Binger New Member

I am scheduled for an operation next week (minor surgery), and have smoked just about every day for the last few weeks. I didn't admit smoking marijuana on the medical forms at the hospital, b/c I am an attorney and am concerned about that information becoming public. However, I am concerned that maybe I shouldn't smoke between now and the operation, or alternatively that I should tell my doctor that I smoke.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is smoking a week or so before undergoing anasthesia a danger that I should worry about? Any information would be appreciated.

2. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Web Developar

Cannabis seems to be pretty harmless when it comes to mixing it with other things, at least in terms of damage to your body. I don't see how smoking should conflict with your surgery and going under anasthesia.

3. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

Hey, it's never minor surgery when it's happening to you.

Sucks that you can't protect your health because you have to protect your public reputation. This is a major reason why cannabis should not be illegal.

First, stop smoking at least one, on the better side two weeks prior to any operation. I know that this advice is given to those who smoke tobacco as smoking prior to surgery has been shown to both slow down the healing process and effect the formation of scar material

In addition, smoking will effect your lungs and therefore may effect the ability for your body to adequately take in oxygen during the operation while under sedation and anethesia. Your anestheologist therefore will need to know about your smoking habits. It may be necessary also for your doctor to check the health of your lungs and your heart to make sure you are a suitable candidate for the type of anesthesia planned or if a different route would be more practicable (ie a spinal with demerol and sedation rather than a general).

Bottom line I guess is to "go off the record" on these issues.

You don't want the record...but you do want to be treated more than merely adequately. And the doctors need this physiological information or they will be unable to make a correct decision for your overall health.

Have a cookie...and let us know how you are doing...

Hugz,

Mama Budz

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is smoking a week or so before undergoing anasthesia a danger that I should worry about? Any information would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

4. mel42120

mel42120 New Member

General Antesthesia and marijuana

Hey ya'll I'm going under general anesthesia on Friday to get my tubes tied, will me smoking weed affect it any?
    TIA

5. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Web Developar

Sure won't :) Cannabis in and of itself has analgesic properties, but it won't interfere if that's what you mean.

6. mel42120

mel42120 New Member

that's what I meant, ty so much

7. snarky24

snarky24 New Member

I am getting my wisdom teeth pulled next week and the dentist is going to use a local anasthesia. I haven't smoked weed in about two weeks. Will there be any side effects? Should I tell the dentist before he puts me under? Is a local anasthesia the same as a general anaesthesia? Am I panicking over nothing? I am just really afraid I'm going to die or have brain damage because I have marijuana in my system or something.

8. medizone

medizone New Member

I'm not a doctor but I think that if it doesn't affect general anasthetics it might not affect local. Think of it this way: marijuana is pretty much the only drug that is safe to mix with any other off-topic. IMO, you'll be fine.

9. snarky24

snarky24 New Member

So has anyone here smoked right before they got their wisdom teeth out? I'm still really nervous.

10. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

Before? It might make you panicky ...

What you don't want to do is smoke after an extraction as suction in the mouth can create a situation known as Dry Socket. Just FYI but you shouldn't use straws either.

Here's more on WISDOM TEETH and other folks' experienceLink

Another FYI that does not necessarily relate to cannabis -- smoking tobacco has been shown to lower the rate of healing wounds by 20%, so if you smoke the bad stuff, stop at least 2 weeks before any surgical procedure.

11. snarky24

snarky24 New Member

I'm not worried about afterwards..I'm just afraid that smoking prior to surgery will interact badly with the anesthesia and I was just wondering if anyone has actually smoked before and came out ok.

12. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

I know...

Take a look at the link I gave you -- it has stories of different folks experiences including smoking prior.

The best we can provide is "anecdotal evidence" -- first person stories --.

Good luck and don't stress out about it -- you'll be fine

13. JiggsCasey

JiggsCasey Sr. Member

So If I smoke now and My wisdom teeth extraction isnt until thursday im okay?
    I heard that if you smoke weed during the 2 weeks they tell you not to smoke weed you wake up during the porcedure... is that true? im really jones'n.and my 4wisdom teeth are getting pulled on thursday 1-20. thnks Jiggs,

14. Yesca

Yesca New Member

Try to relax, Jiggs. I've had all my wisdom teeth out, and I smoked in the time before I had the procedures. I didn't wake up, and neither will you.

I had mine out on two separate occasions, no prob either time.

As others have mentioned, the biggest problem with smoking anything is after the procedure, because the sucking action can cause problems with the healing wounds.

You'll be fine. The anesthesia will have you three sheets to the wind. It'll be over before you know it and you'll be on your way home. They'll put you under, and then you'll wake up with no wisdom teeth. It goes that quick.

Hope that helps.

Johnny :)

15. vladimir

vladimir Sr. Member

i got my wisdom teeth pulled, an i didnt even want to smoke before. you're gonna be sleeping anyways, whats teh point of smoking?

and as for getting high afterwards, i made myself some cookies that i could crumble up and swallow. it was a great two days after the surgery just lying in bed listening to music.

16. JiggsCasey

JiggsCasey Sr. Member

Yeah. So i smoked 2 days before the wisdom teeth extraction and It turned out fine.. I got some percs. Waiting for everyone to go to bed so I can smoke then go play xbox live all night. I slept most of the day.

17. a_b1

a_b1 New Member

marijuana before surgery

undefinedI use marijuana before bedtime,soon I have to have major abdominal surgery should I quit using before the operation?

18. Phyxius

Phyxius New Member

I wouldn't recommend being high when you go, but unless your doctor specified that you need to be clean, I doubt it matters if you've smoked the day before or whatever.

19. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

In 35 years of reading about marijuana I've never seen anything that would contraindicate use before surgery. Reports that marijuana inhibits immune responses come from animal experiments where the concentration of THC in the blood is much higher than a person would get from smoking.

I think it's a good idea to to into surgery relaxed and having had a good night's sleep.

20. slopoke

slopoke New Member

I just got in and read about this. I trully believe that you should go relaxed and afterwards blow the blunt as a celebration unless prescriptions contridict this.