Marijuana Before Surgery? Before Anesthesia?

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by Captain Binger, Mar 10, 2004.

1. JungleGrow

JungleGrow New Member

"Also, as about when you can return to "normal" activities. Since coughing may injure the surgical area, might I suggest you think about making some brownies or tea to tide you over for awhile?"

I've eaten the brownies before and it did nothing for me, but the tea I have never tried. Do you mind explaining how one would put that together, the tea I mean?
  2. nerphroll

nerphroll Sr. Member

Me too, anyone can share a nice tea recipe?
    :wave:

Actually, I guess this is getting off the thread topic. Any links to existing thread(s) that discuss tea?
  3. huffinit

huffinit New Member

I have been wondering about the pre surgery puffing also. My dentist said no weed for 7 days before. Some dentist web sites say 3 days some say 2 weeks. An article available online from the British Journal of Anaesthesia warns Anaesthesiologists of the possible adverse effects of patients who might have marijuana in their system. As a previous poster noted the science comes from animal testing. Anyway its from an 'official' source so it might be of intrest to some of you who need more "dont smoke information" but can be easily dismissed by the "but im gonna anyway" people because of how vague and obviously slanted the article is.

http://bja.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/s...25&sortspec=relevance&sortspecbrief=relevance :wave:
  4. juel_34

juel_34 New Member

Marijuana before surgery?

i had surgery on my wrist and a smoked till the hours before i went into the surgery room. i didn't tell my doctor that i smoked marijuana, it will be harmless but if you want to play it safe do what you think you should do and not let anyone else tell you what to do cuz everyone is different
  5. juel_34

juel_34 New Member

Surgey and MJ

i smoked the ganja while i took my pain pills for my wrist at first they gave me perkaset and now they have me on dorvecet! it works alot for the pain cuz you really don't feel anything especailly when you took the pills before you smoke. it helps with the pain
  6. teufelfisch

teufelfisch Seasoned Activist

Be careful mixing marijuana and hydrocodone/codeine. There aren't any physical interactions per say, but from personal experience there can be psychological reactions. They're not called psychoactives for nothing!
  7. nughuffer!

nughuffer! New Member

Don't be Worried

I was quite worried after realizing the dire consequences presented by the fact that last night i was hitting some dank bud out of my bowl at around 1130, when i knew i was having surgery in about 9 hours. the bowl was not fat, however i only smoke the best bud, and was already feeling quite blazed.
    i quickly googled weed and anesthesia, and found this website. while there were several different varying opinion, two things were quite clear.
    the first was that eating within 8 hours of anesthesia is a definite no-no. you could vomit and pull a hendrix/bonham and suffocate.
    the second thing that was clear was that there was little first hand knowledge as to whether or not i was screwed.
    i drank a bottle of water and went to bed to the sounds of the grateful dead.
    the next morning i was quite nervous, but decided unfourtunately because of the society i live in, telling the anesthesiologist would mean id be screwed. i went ahead with the surgery.
    i awoke several hours later feeling great, nothing was bothering me.
    this was no small surgery either, and i was unconcious for several hours.
    don't worry buddys, atleast up to 8 hours prior.
    peace
    -ricky.
  8. Kavorka

Kavorka New Member

Pre-Surgery Screening

I'm to have a tonsillectomy on Jan 5. In my pre-screening the nurse, who was 40ish and quite hip, asked me about my drug use. I told her that I was a semi-regular user (true except for a few letters) and that the last time I smoked was yesterday. She said that I shouldn't smoke up to two weeks before because having MJ in your blood stream could affect the strength of the anesthesia. She couldn't say whether it would be by making it stronger or weaker. It seemed that it could do either, but it wasn't known which.

Just a little info from the horse's mouth. If anything, it just highlights how ill-defined this whole issue is. Obviously one of those 'err-ing on the side of caution' things.
  9. mature lady

mature lady New Member

Be Honest With Anesthesiologist

I just had a hysterectomy. I told the anesthesiologist right before surgery about usage. Afterwards, my surgeon mentioned that I had "sucked up" a lot of anesthesia and had awoken during surgery more than once. Then they had a real hard time waking me up in the recovery room. Because the anesthesiologist was aware, she knew how to deal with it. The surgeon told me to stop using two weeks before anesthesia. Better safe that sorry.
  10. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

Yes!

You must be honest with the Anesthiologist -- and for that exact reason -- they are theones who keep you under and briong you out of induced sleep.

Thank you maturelady -- a speedy recovery to you!

...and a special cookie ;)

Hugz,

MamaBudz
  11. pharmacist

pharmacist New Member

ACL surgery

Hello all,
    I have been smoking marijuana for about a year, and for about the past month I have everyday. Today is July 4th, and I am scheduled to have surgery to repair a completely ruptured ACL and a partially torn meniscus in my left knee on August 2nd. My doctor is actually on vacation now until the 17th so I'm S.O.L. until he gets back. I am wondering if smoking marijuana prior to this major knee surgery will cause any problems in the surgical process? Will I be more susceptible to possible complications as a result of smoking? Also, would the recovery time be any longer even if I stopped smoking afterwards?

I'm not sure what kind of anesthesia I will be on or anything, I haven't had a chance to talk to my doctor.

P.S. I have read many replies, but have not heard anything about knee/ACL surgeries. If someone could help me out if would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty nervous since it is my first surgery, so any information would help.
    Thanks. :)
  12. nerphroll

nerphroll Sr. Member

To summarize much of the anesthesia advice, it goes that marijuana should not affect either the surgery, the safe performance of anesthesia, nor the healing process. However, it can't hurt to stop smoking a couple of days before your operation, though there is really no evidence on which to base any recommendation. Marijuana can increase heart rate and mildly depress blood pressure, with the theoretic potential to somehow make your anesthesia more risky, but as long as you don't go under the knife high I wouldn't sweat that.
  13. replica

replica New Member

Quite. You should be just fine, but why bother? They'll pump you full of so many drugs you won't know your elbow from your ass. Not to mention, is getting high really worth the risk of interfering with a serious surgical procedure?
  14. stoneygreenbud

stoneygreenbud Super Moderator

I've had 2 MAJOR surgerys in the last 3 years first one was a (cervical disectomy w/a 2 level fusion). second one was a L2 thru L5 Lumbar Laminectomy.

during my appointment with the surg nurse I was asked about "street drug use"...I did advise them of my MJ usage and requested it not be put in my medical record, and I was assured it would not as my injuries were the result of a hit and run (but the LEO'S caught him). and I didnt need this to be disclosed

I was simply asked not to smoke for 24 hours before surgery.

Stoney
  15. silverspork

silverspork New Member

I had my wisdom teeth out a month ago, was put under.

I smoked the night before, no problems. Does that answer your question?
  16. NTW22

NTW22 New Member

It's been six days since i had my wisdom teeth pulled out. I havn't smoked marijuana since then either and I'm wondering that id I did would it effect me in any way? My healing isnt fully complete but is almost there and I wanted to make sure it wouldn't harm me in any serious ways if I were to do so. Plz respond !!
  17. taproot536

taproot536 New Member

im havin posterior spine surgery on wedsnday of this week at like 6 in the morning and i smoked a 1\2 gram sunday nite. i am afraid my surgery is going to get cancelled. i am going to be under the knife for 6 hrs and im 17 yrs old.
    please reply if u have any answerss.:mad:
  18. FakeBoobsRule

FakeBoobsRule Nice legs are a must (LC)

The weed from Sunday shouldn't affect the surgery on Wednesday.
  19. Veghetto

Veghetto New Member

I smoked weed right before my surgery and it didn't effect me in a harmful way, I was just extra high when I woke up, or maybe that's normal.
  20. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Web Developar

Not sure if I understand the logic behind that. Marijuana is supposed to stay "in" the system for up to 30 days. Why would it matter if you smoked 2 hours, 24 hours, or even 48 hours before surgery? I could understand not getting drunk before going to surgery, but I said it in the beginning of this thread, and I'll say it again, I don't see why it shouldn't matter. If you're not comfortable with the idea, then by all means don't smoke, but I see no evidence that suggests it's a bad thing.