Marijuana causes cancer?

Discussion in 'Science' started by zegugges, Oct 31, 2011.

1. zegugges

zegugges New Member

I'm reading quite a bit about a 70% increase in the risk of developing testicular cancer for those who use marijuana weekly or more. This is scary to say the least, any rebuttals?

2. JasonHowe

JasonHowe New Member

Not tue.

6 people like this.
  3. clint902

clint902 Sr. Member

Oh my god!!! It never ends! The studies done in other countries show benefits from smoking marijuana. I don't think much in the way of scientific studies have been done in the us yet because the weed is illegal and they claim they can't it. Yeah, right!

4. zegugges

zegugges New Member

okay I need to have some better rebuttals than that!

5. MrIMStoned

MrIMStoned |BIG BROTHER|

Better rebuttals to what?

Your statement: Weeed causes nut cancer.
    Rebuttal: Weeed does not cause nut cancer.

Your move.

8 people like this.
  6. freddo1234

freddo1234 New Member

Tofu causes testiculaar cancer, discuss.

8 people like this.
  7. Dubstep

Dubstep New Member

WTF?? SO I suppose smoking cigarettes, chewing tobacco and drinking don't? The government is full of shit! They will throw you in jail for taking marijuana for pain- oh no! you mustn't smoke marijuana, it's bad- use Advil or Tylenol instead XD

Marijuana causing cancer?? That's bullshit because based on a Harvard study THC in Marijuana actually killed cancer cells. Mr. Rick Simpson of Canada who cured tons of peoples cancer with hemp oil got exiled and had his house raided by the cops without a warrant! Of course they'd tell you bullshit like that, they control the media and your life. OBEY!! :) The pharmaceutical companies want you to buy industrial drugs instead of organic cures :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGhpVzN0ik8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGhpVzN0ik8[/ame]

2 people like this.
  8. iPoser1024

iPoser1024 Black Mamba

I would be more than happy to offer "good enough" rebuttal for you, but you have insufficient information in your post.

What are you reading?
    How much is "quite a bit", and what exactly the text say?

I can tell you that no studies done on marijuana have indicated an increase for testicular cancer. lung cancer, etc.

9. vvicked0471

vvicked0471 Super mod

The burden of proof lies with the party making the claim. Post your sources and I'm sure you'll get something along the lines of the rebuttal you're looking for...

10. zegugges

zegugges New Member

11. vvicked0471

vvicked0471 Super mod

Both articles reference the same study, so I only read far enough into the second to see that it was the same story regurgitated by a different author.

That being said, this is purely my opinion and I won't be researching any studies that may refute the claims made by the Hutchinson researchers.

Whenever I read articles like this I'm always skeptical, and here's why;

This is essentially a statistical coincidence among the patients in their study. These coincidences can have varying degrees of frequency depending on where you choose to conduct your research. Statisticians do it all the time for polls on different news channels. It's why you can flip back and forth from network to network and see stats from polls on the same subject that vary wildly from one another. If you want certain results, using political polls as an example, to favor democratic ideals then you can poll people in and around large metro areas ranging in age from (20-50 or so) using a sample that consists of women more so than men. For republican leaning results, poll rural areas, men more so than women, ages from (35-60+). Of course that's a simplification. My point is that statistics can easily be skewed to show the results that you want.

They took a group of men with testicular cancer, living in a state with medical marijuana, and a relaxed attitude about recreational use (making it more likely to have exposure to mj at an early age). Asked them about their mj use, compared that to healthy men in the same region, saw that usage was higher and/or more frequent in the cancer patients and said marijuana use is a contributing factor in certain types of testicular cancer. Not very conclusive, if you ask me.

If they looked hard enough they could find probably a hundred or more things that many of the cancer patients have in common that their control group counterparts don't. This could range from the type of toothpaste they use to their masturbation habits. You could draw the conclusion, based on this study, that any number of things these men have in common could be a risk factor. The bottom line is that they don't know yet. If they did, they would be parading proof instead of announcing a tenuous "link".

Another thing in the article that doesn't sit right with me is a comment made about the ethnicity of their sample group:
    If we are to believe the crime stats, African-American adolescents are more likely to be smoking marijuana heavily than Hispanic or Caucasion adolescents. Again, according to the crime stats this trend carries into adulthood. Why is it that a segment of the population that supposedly smokes more than the others only rarely contracts testicular cancer?

To me, that says the answer lies in genetics more so than anything else. There may be environmental risk factors. But when one segment of the population is exposed to said risk factor more so than others, and has little to no instance of testicular cancer, seems to me that they're looking in the wrong direction.

As for the low quality sperm, I've heard the same thing and never really looked into it. I don't plan on having kids, so as far as I'm concerned it's my version of birth control (though, I don't rely on that solely :D).

2 people like this.
  12. zegugges

zegugges New Member

Thank You, I feel much better knowing that my balls won't have to be chopped off. Someone should edit the wikipedia page, this is where I found out about this. It's amazing that so much misinformation can be displayed as scientific fact

13. iPoser1024

iPoser1024 Black Mamba

Scare tactics.
    Look what the government said was "fact" about marijuana killing brain cells. That was even proven false.

14. HighMan

HighMan Active Member

God, I can't stand all those studies that aren't being accurately controlled, are biased and just plain false...

15. CommonBlaze

CommonBlaze New Member

16. KaioKenX7

KaioKenX7 New Member

O wow, that's awesome xD
    I've never heard of such research to suggest testicular cancer linked to marijuana. I suggest researching about marijuana and cancer before believing that load of bull. Sounds like a scare tatic.

17. leat

leat New Member

I just thought of something. I was reading an article just a few mins ago about Obama pledging to conquer cancer "in our time". Cancer research facilities and labs as well as treatment centers have been given 6 Billion Dollars this year, on top of their 2009 10 Billion Dollars.

That's a lot of fucking money. I just thought, what if they extract the THC down to the chemical level and inject that into a cancer cell. I have a feeling it would get the cancer high kind of, and make it moot. It would be in you, and it could start working any time, but if you were given pure THC extract pills[similar to vitamins you get that are like organic pills with gel in the middle, extracts[syrupy stuff] so it's potent. This would be a definitive way to treat the cancer as a "Chronic Illness" until it an antibody can be made. Wait, have they even tried, antibodies? I'm gonna study cancer holy shit dude, I think I found the cure. xD

18. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

If you were to tell us where you were reading this, we'd be in a better position to talk about it. Since your chances of developing testicular cancer are less than 1 in 10,000, increasing them by 70% doesn't mean a lot, even if it were true. I doubt the truth of this because in every other study, cannabis seems to deter the formation of tumors, not cause them.

2 people like this.
  19. clint902

clint902 Sr. Member

That's correct! The immune system is the key. When the immune system isn't functions properly people get cancer. They already have a cure and have for quite a few years but they can't implement it because of the billions of dollars the cancer industry and all the investors stand to lose.

20. leat

leat New Member

I saw this one time that there was medicinal marijuana and the picture had the bud soaked down cause it had soaked in thc extract before they dried it. It was pretty much a THC bud. And they have THC Pills, but they're RX only. But they're used for lack of appetite and insomnia.