"Marijuana" in different languages

Discussion in 'Strains and Definitions' started by TenaciousDave, Mar 5, 2005.

1. TenaciousDave

TenaciousDave New Member

Hey all,
    I was just wondering if anyone knows how to say "marijuana" or "weed" in a different language. I really don't know any common slang associated with marijuana in other languages. It'd be nice to know while traveling... :thumbsup:
  2. Mishiro

Mishiro New Member

Marijuana should do the trick, but be aware of certain accents and pronunciations.
  3. Illuminati420

Illuminati420 Banned

in mexico its "mota"
  4. Illuminati420

Illuminati420 Banned

in jamacia i think its something like "dagga" but thats probably wrong
  5. troublemaker420

troublemaker420 New Member

actually, in jamaica weed is known primarily as "ganja" but is also known by many other names, sch as collie, lamb's breath, and also by many of the slang terms used here in the US. Dagga, if I am not mistaken, is used in INdia or someplace like that, not Jamaica

BTW Mishrio, marijuana is not a universal word by any means. Many different cultures have words referring to cannabis that are from from "marijuana". While in some places, that will still get the point across, in others it will earn you blank stares.
  6. Feorge Gorman

Feorge Gorman New Member

In Hawaii...

...it's 'pakalolo'! :liplick:
  7. aposiopesis

aposiopesis New Member

Australian aboriginal is "Yandi"
  8. troublemaker420

kind of like candy? coincidence? I think not! LOL
    2 people like this.
  9. aposiopesis

aposiopesis New Member

Its pronounced yarndi.
  10. troublemaker420

thanks for ruining what I thought was a clever comment! Jk
  11. aposiopesis

aposiopesis New Member

Sorry, the truth will not be hidden, but since you are American, you can pronounce it anyway you want.

The Indian word for hashish is Charas, the process of making the hash is slightly different, the resin is rubbed off the plant without killing it.

The buds and leaf are known as Bhang.
  12. SkyyVodka

SkyyVodka Sr. Member

I want some Bhang. :laugh:
  13. troublemaker420

:laugh: I've always understood bhang to be a beverage made from cannabis material......in fact, I'm almost certain of it........but as always, I may be wrong!

As for my "American" dialect......well, dont even get me started on you Austrailians, mate! i've seen Crocodile Dundee....I know how you talk@ LOL....jk....no hard feeling, Aposio

edit:http://www.marijuana.com/420/showthread.php?t=31079&highlight=bhang

Here's one of many threads I found in cheaptalk discussing bhang....and it seems to support my original statement about what bhang really is.....my theory was supported by every thread i checked out containing the word bhang....SO THERE!! LOL
  14. aposiopesis

aposiopesis New Member

Dunno, when I was in India, I drank loadsa bhang lassis. I was kinda under the impression that the lassi was the yoghurt drink, and the bhang was the green bits in it. After drinking it you've got about 45 mins to find a nice soft comfortable place to lie down, and goodnight Irene.

I could be wrong, especially considering how many of them I drank.......
    But hang on......www .dictionary.com says......

"Bhang (also bang) n. pronounced "bäng".
    A preparation from the leaves and seed capsules of the cannabis plant, smoked, chewed, eaten, or infused and drunk to obtain mild euphoria.
    from Sanskrit bhag."

Ambiguous enough for everybody to be right.

No offence taken, but CRIKEY mate, we've evolved since Mick Dundee, think Steve Irwin (the crocodile hunter) for the archetypal Aussie speech mannerisms.
  15. troublemaker420

LOL....Hey,I perfer Mick Dundee to Steve irwin any day! One of my favorite movie lines of all time is when Mick says" Thats no knife....THIS is a knife!" or something close to that...haven't seen the movie(s) in ages, but found them quite entertaining at 12 years old!

As for Bhang, I guess you are correct, in the sense we are both close enough to being correct.
  16. aposiopesis

aposiopesis New Member

NO way!!!!! Dundee was a girl's panty liner, his crocs were jest blow up sex toys.
  17. scootertrash

scootertrash New Member

i think i would save up enough to get the ones that don`t bite
  18. ::blazed jae::

::blazed jae:: Sr. Member

In Chinese it's "Dama", and Japanese it's "Taima" or "Myogei".

I just read an article that is being published in Cannabis Culture soon by someone my friend knows. It's about his visit in China and his misfortune trying to find weed. The "dama" he was able to find was usually lowgrade schwag and the "hash" he bought was compressed leaf material! He was able to find grey hash in Shanghai which was actually good, but the chronic situation in China is overall struggling! I'm definitely looking out for this article in Cannabis Culture, I've already seen some of the pics. Hell, I'll post one.

India- Bhang- I think you're right about this, although it may actually be a drink that is prepared with weed, but the word is probably interchangeable.

Jamaica- Dagga- This is another term, not as popular as Ganja in Jamaica but it's frequently used as well.

The picture is this kid's Dama he purchased in China. Very hard to come by decent weed, this stuff had a lot of seeds and not a lot of crystals. The bottom left is "hash", which was actually just compressed plant material.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of a Chinese headshop (damn these pics are almost exclusive, supposedly going to be published!)

http://www.desktopgamer.com/cculture/Reggae Large.jpg
  19. aposiopesis

aposiopesis New Member

Holy hell, I believe I recognize that brick of grass, a ton of something so similar to that flooded Australian cities about 7 years ago, and I'm ashamed to say I smoked it, it wasn't very nice, and dirt cheap. I wonder if it was dama, or dagga. The Triad gangs from China bring some pretty crazy **** into Oz, but schwag importation seems too crazy.....
  20. apathy23

apathy23 New Member

in Dutch it is Hash (friends mom from Rotterdam told me its pronounced with 2 of those dots over the "a")