Marijuana In the Bible?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Madamayo, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Madamayo

Madamayo New Member

Okay, I work with a very religious Christian (Not going to release denomination), and we have been discussing the religious impact of marijuana. Now, he tells me that "God" does not condone marijuana usage, as it is considered a thistle. Now, as far as I can tell, the thistle that "God" may be referring to, is opium, seeing marijuana has no brambles, barbs, or prickles. And I have been looking up biblical references to marijuana all week long, in order to shed some light on it.

Now, I have found three separate sections in the bible that vaguely refer to marijuana;

(Genesis 1:29):Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

(Genesis 3:18):It will produce thorns and thistles for you, and you will eat the plants of the field.

(Genesis 9:3):Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

Now, since I would assume there are some deeply religious people on this site who might see this, can you give me your personal reflection on this? It would appear to me that "God" has no issue with the consumption of marijuana, although it would be considered sin to smoke it (I read that "We are God's temple..." and something along the lines of "Destruction of God's temple" is considered a sin?).

Please, shed some light on this for me?:help:

Also, if you are wondering, I'm an Atheist.

2. Maximus

Maximus Sr. Member

Nah God never did say anything about it being good or bad. Apparently God doesn't give a shit. The only ones that do are the Feds. Weed has been around for thousands of years for people, and millions as a survivor. Only the last 75 years is it suddenly "bad", as if humanity is sooooooo much better now without it. So no, I think if there is a god than he is laughing at us right now. Letting alcohol remain legal while somehow weed is the BAD one. I'd laugh too looking down on this craphole.

4 people like this.
  3. joshpackr

joshpackr Sr. Member

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: 1 Peter v. 8.

The Bible tells us to be sober. That's what I get from that piece of scripture. If you are high you aren't sober so therefore I don't believe God is pleased with us getting high. That's just my opinion of that piece of scripture and I'm not going to debate it. It's pretty black and white to me.

2 people like this.
  4. Maximus

Maximus Sr. Member

What about what this verse?

(Genesis 9:3):Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

So, he gives us everything, yet he takes it away (according to Peter), so what will it be? He gives everything, but takes away things, but what about the everything? What about wine? I'm not ragging on you, this is what pisses me off about the bible. One big contradiction after another.

5. MemphisBBQ

MemphisBBQ Sr. Member

It actually only says be sober in the king james version.................This thread is about marijuana+ the bible, not about proving it false.

6. Goober328

Goober328 New Member

Most of the preachers I have heard on TV point out the Biblical prohibition of witchcraft which supposedly shares a root with the Greek Word for witchcraft aka "pharmakia" as in pharmacy in modern english which equates to drug use. When a person is under the influence of killer weed they are more likely to engage in socializing with demons. The stuff will also enslave a person. Think Paul said don't be a slave to anything or similar. Which then leads us to the Gospel of Christ which indicates True Christianity is not based on rules and regulations but rather on a living relationship between us and Christ. That's where Christianity differs from all other World Religions. If a Christian wants to smoke dope Jesus can handle it. Bring you under Conviction through either your conscience or the courts. If He want's you stop messing with the stuff you will stop. Now not claiming in the least that Christianity can't be "religionized." The Roman Catholics been making a good living off that deal for centuries.

Goober

2 people like this.
  7. Madamayo

Madamayo New Member

Okay. Thank you for the responses guys, but please, try and keep in mind that some of what you say might upset some people. Just because I don't believe in "God" or creation, does NOT give me the right to tell other that they are wrong.

On a side note: This isn't the only forum I have posted this question in, and, quite frankly, the responses I've gotten range from "You are atheist scum, repent or burn in hell", to; "Christ loves us, no matter what we do." So my basic understanding is; If we fail to moderate, or in biblical terms become gluttonous, then we are doing nothing in violation of "The Lord's" teaching, nor his principles.

This is also a *BUMP!*

8. SenorSmokesALot

SenorSmokesALot Subscriber

Not to mention the fact that many scholars believe that the oil used to annoint the judges as well as the kings such as David was cannabis oil. Furthermore this was often used by priests in sacrafices to God.

9. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

Wow,
    well there's a mouthful...

10. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

There's a whole chapter (Chapter 2, "Strong Drink") in Jacob Sullum's excellent Saying Yes that discusses this question in detail. I suggest that you pick up a copy and read that chapter for the best exposition on the topic I've seen anywhere.

To sum it up in one sentence, the bible seems to favor states of mild intoxication for the celebration of life but decries the excesses of drug abuse.

9 people like this.
  11. Madamayo

Madamayo New Member

Ahh Buzzby. It's been a while, about a year to be exact, since I've been on this forum, and as usual, you always have the best response. That seems to be the general response I get.

2 people like this.
  12. Demize One

Demize One New Member

Wow, great topic, Christianity nd Cannabis.

Christian -> Christ -> Messiah -> Y'shua, Son of Jah, Creator of da Universe

ok, refering 2 da Almighty, 2 da roots of all mankind. Not Religion.

MArijuana HEALED my CHRONIC ASTHMA WITHOUT ANY NEGATIVE SIDE AFFECTS. Hemp seeds r 3X more potent than Flax seeds n essential oils that promote healthy skin, nails, hair nd skin.

EVERYTHING GOOD COMES FROM GOD. Not Religion.

With DISCIPLINE I can appreciate my organic herbal, GOD CREATED medicine sometimes as a healing sedative with an outstanding stone or an exhuberant "up" feeling with a more of a Sativa dose of medication. Cannabis is a MIRACLE herb like so many other great GOD CREATED herbs, vegetables nd fruit - all containing anti-oxidents.

WE NEED 2 STUDY TO SHOW OURSELVES APPROVED - LET'S RESEARCH

God Bless Marijuana! The first U.S. Prez smoked Cannabis. I'd rather take organic God Created medicine for my ailments than a pharmacutical designed 2 suck my wallet nd cause more problems within da human body from bio engineered nd researched drugs. Capitalism at its finest. Doctors n da USA sign a contract b4 they can recieve their license 2 practice...only drugs can heal or treat an illness. Pharmaceuticals murder on avg. 100,000 people annualy n da US of A.

The Feds aren't making money off WEED/DANK/GRASS da way they r with Pharmaceuticals, MARLBORO or crooked politicians. Fuq Bush. Fuq Reiligion.

BTW, the language of God is Love. Marijuana is proving to fight cancer. Let's share da luv...

DEMIZE ONE

13. jerzysanchez

jerzysanchez Sr. Member

sober is defined as not afffected by a chemical substance.
    yet there are plenty of chemicals released in our system naturally.
    i think i found the gray area.

2 people like this.
  14. cj117

cj117 Surfer Monkey

Cannabis is a sacrament in many religions outside Christianity.
    I suggest researching India and Nepal, and their use of cannabis in the past.
    I think one famous religious use of the plant was by the Scythians, which I believe is where we get the Grim Reaper figure...

Edit: Here's one link -
    Pot Night - A Short History of Cannabis

15. 024

024 Sr. Member

I would be more worried if the book wasn't written without any aid of hallucinogen substances.

16. Balabeezy

Balabeezy Sr. Member

It is an interesting topic and what not but, when I talk about it I always ask the question "Who made up in the first place that Marijuana is a drug?" Just because society says it is doesn't really mean it is. I don't consider it a drug so therefor its not really debatable or not because if its talking about drugs and Marijuana isn't one then there's nothing to debate.( Just something to think about )

17. dj Dozhe

dj Dozhe New Member

From merriam-webster.com :
    To be a drug marijuana has to be defined by only one of these statements. Just because you're used to the word drug having negative connotations doesn't mean a little research can't reveal "drug or not a drug" to be moot.

Back on topic, it also says in Deuteronomy to follow the laws of the land, so that's one more strike against biblical OKing of marijuana usage in our current situation. I've heard the Genesis quotes before and they're pretty much useless in an actual debate. Why? All it takes is one example: Hemlock. It's a green plant that bears seeds, and it grows in a field. Hemlock is a poison, just ask Socrates.

18. Balabeezy

Balabeezy Sr. Member

You must be confused, just because a dictionary says that it does not make that automatically true. You and many other human beings fail to understand that concept, its just like how the government tells America's society these things many believe.

19. dj Dozhe

dj Dozhe New Member

So you don't see marijuana as one of these two?
    b : a substance used as a medication; or
    (3) : a substance other than food intended to affect the structure or function of the body

or did you just dismiss the post without reading it? To clarify, this dictionary is defining words of the English language. That makes it the definition of the word based on usage. It doesn't mean it can't be changed (i.e. bitch used to just mean a female dog) and that other's may have differing opinions, but you asked who classified marijuana as a drug and I'm letting you know it's someone who owns and knows how to operate a dictionary. Just something to think about.

4 people like this.
  20. Balabeezy

Balabeezy Sr. Member

You still don't get it. Number 1 We don't speak proper English in America, Webster changed most words so we could be different. Number 2 People made up the definition of what a drug is or isn't, and your right people do classify it as that but that doesn't mean its automatically right, its up for interpretation. Even if people use it as a "Medication" doesn't change anything because if it happens to help people it does if it didnt it wouldnt but it will always be Marijuana.