Marijuana & Your Heart

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by teufelfisch, Apr 3, 2003.

1. teufelfisch

teufelfisch Seasoned Activist

I hear this happens to a lot of people but I just wanted to make sure.
    When I get high it really affects my heart rate. Right now it's 116 bpm at rest.
    Wait... 95
    Dude maybe I'm just having trouble measuring it.
    Hold on... 120 ... 108
    Crap I'm having trouble measuring it

It's up there though, and pumping hard.
    Any comments?

===========
    [Later]

Whoops, forgot I started this.

The point is, does your heart pump hard and fast while high? My normal heart rate while at rest is something like 45-60.
  2. CheebaMonkey

CheebaMonkey Sr. Member

Marijuana can speed up your heart beat, an increase of around 45%.¹ The effect on the heart though is of negligible clinical significance in healthy users because tolerance develops to them.²

Your blood pressure can increase while sitting/laying down, and decrease when you stand up.

Cannabis will not cause a heart attack in a healthy user. But if you have some sort of a medical condition related to your heart, it can be a concern to your health.

1. Cannabis-med.org.

2. Hall W, Solowij N, Lemon J. The health and psychological
    consequences of cannabis use. National Drug Strategy Monograph
    Series no 25. Canberra: Australian Government Publishing Service,
  3. repost that in english please lol
  4. teufelfisch

teufelfisch Seasoned Activist

Eh, I left the computer going for a while without finishing my message. Look at the bottom part.

45% increase would explain it. I knew your heart was supposed to speed up but I didn't expect that much.

Never really noticed it before now.

Also, it could be from going without smoke for a couple weeks - my tolerance is lower, so my heart beats faster.
  5. CheebaMonkey

CheebaMonkey Sr. Member

It isn't always exactly 45%. It can be up to 45%.

The negligible clinical significance part simply just means that your body becomes tolerant to the effect that THC has on your heart. This means that repeated dosage will result in a less of an effect on your heart (it doesn't cause a large increase in beats as it used to), or it could totally stop increasing your heart rate.
  6. soybomb

soybomb Marijuana Guru

Hmmmmm.........

I call elevated heart rate when I'm stoned my 30 minutes of exercise every day.
  7. beats

beats New Member

Ya, it does increase.

Hey Tuefelfish, doesn't your name mean crazy or something in german. Something like that right? I'm part german, but I'm not very fluent in the language.
  8. Herb Ninja

Herb Ninja Seasoned Activist

Anybody seen that car comercial(medcedes?) where they say "doctors say its healthy to elevate your heart rate once a day, well here's to your health." First thing I thought, was replace the car with marijuana and you got a good comercial. Just a thought.
  9. urite4594

urite4594 New Member

heart

hey. When i was born i had a heart problem. Like this valve was to small and no blood could get through. So when I was just 3 days old i had to have heart surgery. Luckily, i made it. Im 15 now and have been smoking pot for a few months. I was just wondering, does weed affect your heart. Or could it be worse for my heart than others who haven't had surgery? please help.
  10. MicroBud

MicroBud New Member

hmmz...
    Im not exactly sure. how long have you been smokeing? any problems yet?
    i would highly doubt it, when intaking marijuana it does increase the heart rate, which i think/though would be good for you.
    But hell if i know if it doesnt bother you then keep tokeing, if it bothers you everytime you smoke it(mentally not just physically, like thinking twice about smokeing) then i would say dont.
    -peace
  11. JMan

JMan New Member

Ask a doctor.
  12. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Web Developar

If you aren't experiencing heart pains, chest pains, etc., then don't worry about it. I don't see how smoking would make you have a heart attack or something, it's not like you're taking cocaine.
  13. Determan

Determan New Member

Weed will signifigantly increase your heartrate, somewhat as if you had been excercising.

I've heard that your up to 4 times more likely to have a heart attack if your stoned for this reason. Thats not really a problem if you have a healthy heart, but if your allready at risk for a heart attack you would be increasing your chances of heart failure while high. (The same is true when excercising or doing any activity that increases heartrate and or bloodpressure.)

Are you ok to play sports, excercise etc? If so then I'd imagine you should be fine. Im not a doctor however so you should take my oppinion with a grain of salt. If you want to be sure ask a doctor.
  14. im grumpy

im grumpy New Member

Most doctors would dismiss it and say no tokin right away...
  15. urite4594

urite4594 New Member

ya. I used to play basketball alot. On a team and everything. Quit that and i've been skating alot since. Never really had a problem while exercising.
  16. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

Hey another patent ductus arteriousus survivor!

...back in the stone age...when I was born...they waited 3 months to do the surgery...

You should be fine.

I am assuming that you have had no chest pains, are able to exercise normally like everyone else without shortness of breath and your doctor has not warned you of any other concerns...

The increases heart rate after smoking weed is about synonymous with a humnan having sex ...so... incrreased heartrate is not in and of itself something to be concerned about.

One thing you do want to ask your doctor, many of us who have had heart surgery are told to be careful about infection during future surgery, especially dental surgery (!) and are told to take an antibiotic prior to any procedures (including dental cleaning). Speak with your doctor about wheterh you require an "antibiotic prohylaxis" prior to surgery or surgical procedure. If so, do keep a message in your wallet or have a health bracelet or charm in case of emergency when you can't speak for yourself.

...now have a cookie ;)

Hugz,

Mama Budz
  17. LawnBoy

LawnBoy New Member

Marijuana and your heart?

I did a search and couldn't find anything really. How does Marijuana affect your heart? My grandfather died of a heart attack and my father has also had a heart attack. Neither of them were un-healthy and my father ran/runs 6 miles a day and works out. Could Marijuana play a role in either cause or prevention of heart attacks?
  18. AnimalChin

AnimalChin New Member

im not sure, but i do know that it speeds up your heart rate, so im guessing it wouldnt be great for your heart.
  19. CheebaMonkey

CheebaMonkey Sr. Member

As mentioned, cannabis can cause an increase in your heart rate. This is because it dilates your blood vessels, and your blood pressure drops. As a result, your heart beats faster to make up for this.

However, tolerance develops to this. In fact, regular users may experience bradycardia, or a slowing of the heart rate when using cannabis.

As for something like heart attacks, if you've suffered one in the past, or have some other heart disease, you may want to avoid cannabis.
  20. Lothar121

Lothar121 Seasoned Activist

What a fantastic subject. I think one thing I have never mentioned to marijuana.com is the fact I use marijuana to control my blood pressure. In this way, marijuana is fantastic to the heart. I have seen articles that imply marijuana use is the same for the heart as excercising.

High blood pressure, or hypertension, afflicts between 10 and 20 percent of adults in Western societies. This condition puts a strain on the heart and blood vessels and greatly increases the risk of stroke and heart disease.

Research is currently being conducted at the University of Nottingham Medical School (U.K.) to better determine the effects of endocannabinoids, cannabis-like chemicals produced naturally by the body, on circulation. (1) Scientists recently discovered that the endocannabinoid anandamide relaxes blood vessels, which can reduce blood pressure by allowing blood to flow more freely, but do not yet comprehend how they are produced or cause changes in the body. (2)

Lead researcher Dr. David Kendall of the Queen's Medical Centre says: "This research should tell us a great deal more about how these substances affect our circulation. This is a new and exciting area of research which could ultimately lead to better treatments for a range of cardiovascular diseases." (3)

In his book Marihuana the Forbidden Medicine, Dr. Lester Grinspoon (with James Bakalar) recounts one patient's account of using cannabis to successfully treat hypertension. "Cannabis is … the first drug that has been effective in controlling my high blood pressure," the patient writes. "I have taken so many others that I can't remember their names, but the result was always the same: they either didn't work or caused such horrible side effects that I needed more drugs, which only raised my blood pressure again. Since I began smoking cannabis, my blood pressure has remained relatively constant at 130 over 80." (4)

Former California gubernatorial candidate Steve Kubby also gives strong anecdotal evidence of cannabis' ability to control hypertension. Kubby has used inhaled marijuana to control hypertension associated with malignant pheochromocytoma, a usually fatal cancer he contracted 15 years ago. (5) Several of Kubby's phsysicians, including Dr. Vincent DeQuattro of the hypertension diagnostic laboratory at the University of Southern California Medical School, speculate that his marijuana therapy may have extended his life. "In some amazing fashion, this medication has not only controlled the symptoms of the disease, but in my view, has arrested growth," DeQuattro says. He adds that he knows of no other patient who has survived as long with the disease. (6)

The House of Lords Science and Technology Committee report on medical cannabis acknowledged that smoking cannabis can lower blood pressure, but warns that it may also increase heart rate in some users (7). They concluded that the latter effect may pose a health risk for patients with a history of angina or other cardiovascular disease, and recommend that they be excluded from any clinical trials of cannabis-based medicines. (8)
    Body's 'cannabis' could hold blood pressure key," BBC, December 29, 1998.
    "Science: Research on the properties of endocannabinoids to reduce blood pressure," ACM Bulletin, January 10, 1999.
    Ibid.
    L. Grinspoon et al., "Marihuana: The Forbidden Medicine" (second edition), New Haven, CT: Yale University Press (1997), 171.
    W. Wilson, "Medical Marijuana Advocate Hails Trial," Sacramento (CA) Bee, August 9, 1999.
    "California Pot Law Author Charged Along With Spouse," Washington Times, February 21, 1999.
    House of Lords Select Committee on Science and Technology, "Ninth Report," London: United Kingdom (1998), Chapter 4: Section 4.4.
    Ibid.
    National Academy of Sciences, "Marijuana and Health", Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press (1982), 66.