Mason Jar Vape

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Kranter, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Kranter

Kranter Above the Ignorance

I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in Homemade paraphanelia, but whatever, on with the show. I have a question/idea. I've heard alot about lightbulb vaporizers, but theres a problem I dont have bulbs like that @ my house.

I was wondering if a mason jar would do the trick? I have a good idea for making it, but has anyone ever tried it? Il try 2 post pics if I make one. I have a few more general questions about vapes:
    Will the jar/vape smell of weed?
    Does vaping at all reek?

Just trying not to get caught. All help is appreciated. :D

2. Fscotty

Fscotty New Member

it could probably work but not very well. With a lightbulb vaporizer the glass is pretty thin so the weed get vaporized faster. With a mason jar it might take longer since it's thicker. You will probably also need a candle for it so you don't waste lighter fluid. I'd also recommend putting a two holes in the top of the jar, using one of them for a straw to draw through.

3. Kranter

Kranter Above the Ignorance

What bout the smell?

4. zappy

zappy Pondering Primate

The vapor does produce a smell but it is nowhere near as smelly as when someone is smoking from a bong. I used to use my vape inside my bedroom while my parents were home, and by sitting near the window and breathing the vapor out there they never noticed a smell. I've also noticed that the smell from a vape disappears from the area much faster than the smell from a bong does.

2 people like this.
  5. stoneygreenbud

stoneygreenbud Super Moderator

I pretty much agree with zappy, there is a slight smell, but IMO its not very strong, and I wouldn't even say that it smells like burnt marijuana at all.

The proof is in the pudding: i'm no expert (35+yrs of smoking, ok, maybe I am after all...lol)

here is why I came to that conclusion: I woke up one night last year during the winter, it was about 3 in the morning, and it was only about 22 degrees outside, so instead of going outside to smoke, I decided to just grab my vapolution, glass on glass vape and vape some right in my bedroom.

Now my wife doesn't smoke at all, and even worse, she "hates" the smell of weed, anyway while i'm vaping she woke up and had to pee, she doesn't even know what my vape looks like. so she goes to the restroom and then walks over and gave me a kiss and she goes back to bed, never saying a word about any smell.

I can guarantee you this, if she would have smelled anything at all, I never would have heard the end of it. she can't even stand the smell when i'm breaking up buds to roll a joint.

~Stoney~

3 people like this.
  6. Mox

Mox New Member

My homemade vaporizer

An easy one to make (and I'm sure it can be trimmed a bit to make it smaller) I had to do on the fly when I was given a container of THC syrup (meant to be added to bud when smoked, but can be smoked on its own, just hated the idea of getting my paid-for vape or my bowl "goopy"). I used a mason jar, couple blocks of wood, a soldering iron, a handmade bowl, and a rubber hose with mouthpiece.

I affixed the bowl to the soldering iron (about an inch-1.5 inches under the top) after drilling a hole in the lid and sticking the iron rod through and sealing it. I used two blocks of wood on either side and another board to go across (essentially making a capital "I" shape). I cut another hole for the hose then screwed the lid onto the jar and affixed the rig to the cross-board. Now all you need to do is unscrew the jar, put whatever you want to vaporise in the bowl, put it back together, and plug it in. I'll generally let it heat until it fills with smoke and unplug it until that is cleared out. Since the hose is on bottom and it's air-tight, the smoke won't escape unless you're inhaling it into your lungs. I came across this thread when I was looking online to see if anyone else had made one that is similar so I can send a link in another forum. Don't try this if you don't know what you're doing. It is kinda bulky, but it's good if you're keeping it at home. I am going to work on a different design that's more compact if you're interested, I can post once I get it worked-out. Cheers!

7. HSIC323

HSIC323 New Member

I've never heard of anyone making a homemade vape, but if you try it you should definatly put up pics. I just got a vaporite (toking on it now actually) and the smell is nothing liked smoked weed. I even save the vaped weed and it doesn't smell.