Medical card and employment - will they deny it?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by MonarchX, Jan 6, 2008.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX New Member

If you have a medical MJ card and you show it to the drug tester, will you still be likely to deny employment?

I know that if you have prescription for drugs then you technically pass the test, but I am not sure that MJ medical card is the same thing as prescription.

So, in the end if you medical MJ card and they find above limit MJ in your system then you'll still be denied employment, right?

2. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

Your medical marijuana recommendation protects you from state and local prosecution for the limited possession and cultivation of marijuana, nothing else. If an employer requires a clean UA to employ someone, it provides you no protection at all.

3. MonarchX

MonarchX New Member

And prescriptions do?

People with ADD/ADHD take drugs which show in drug tests. I took Valium and Vicodin before 2 of my surgeries.

If I show my prescription and doctor notes for surgery then I would be fine.

4. Viper420

Viper420 Sr. Member

They know how long these drugs stay in your system and if you came up positive for those drugs, you might get a pass on those drugs or they may ask for another drug test later on to validate your claim.

5. MindOnGreen

MindOnGreen New Member

I am in the exact situation you are in, see post: http://www.marijuana.com/urine-testing/88583-dilution-help-please-diabetic.html

Last resort, if I can't dilute enough to pass, I was thinking of talking with HR and showing them my doctor prescription and asking to have a blood test done instead.

What do you think?

6. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

Yes, prescriptions do except in very limited circumstances. Certain jobs will not allow you to participate if you are under the effects of a list of prescription drugs. Pilots, I believe, are not allowed to fly if they've consumed some OTC cold meds in the last 12 hours.

If you've already made up your mind, why did you bother to ask the question? I hope you're not disappointed. The courts have decided otherwise.