medical grade MJ

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by Puna Girl, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Puna Girl

Puna Girl New Member

Aloha everyone!
    I would like someone to explain to me how Medical Marijuana is graded . What kind of system is used to say that one kind of MJ is better than another.
    Mahalo!

2. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

Welcome Puna Girl

There is no proprietary system for grading "medical marijuana".

Each Co-op or Dispensary has buyers who are knowledgeable regarding the nature and qualitative aspects of the plant. Experience over time (like most everything) allows them to categorize it into 'grades'.
    That said, whether a given user agrees or not is relative.
    The only true method of quality control is for each individual to try it for themselves... :)

2 people like this.
  3. Puna Girl

Puna Girl New Member

you would think with the amount of money being spent on this resource, there would be a better way to qualify MJ. Many of the folks giving their opinion on this matter, are not Medical users themselves, so, they are not paying close attention to how this MJ makes thier bodies feel.
    What if there was a test we could use at home?
    is it safe to say that trichome levels and potency go hand in hand?

4. eltone

eltone New Member

How Do Grade Medical Marijuana

Hi Puna Girl, as everyone say's personal choice. However, we do separate medical Grade Cannabis from what I call regular schwag simply by the THC level. That can be measured i.e. is it 10% THC or 25% THC. The higher the THC the more potent the plant. So I think when it is legalized the THC content will set the prices. I sure wish there was some competition out there for the prices for medical grade marijuana are prohibitive for us old folks.

5. JaggedJesus

JaggedJesus New Member

I think it would be hard to create such a system, with cannabis laws in their current state of affairs. There are far too many roadblocks, while the idea of being able to "grade" cannabis like any other medication does indeed sound good on paper.

In my opinion, it stems from the fact that it would be nearly impossible for all the growers world-wide to commit to some sort of standard. Take acetaminophin, for example. Tylenol, probably the best-known manufacturer of the drug, has created a standard, and everyone now expects the same kind of headache, nausea, etc. relief from each and every acetaminophin they take.

Now imagine if that acetaminophin was being manufactured locally by Joe Schmoe down the street in his basement, and the same thing was going on world-wide. Nobody's making Joe take all the necessary precautions to make a quality product, and the only way to tell if it's good or not is to take the drug or do some sort of test in a lab. It's the same way with cannabis. Yes, there are larger medical marijuana grow operations, but with the same drug coming from so many different sources, it makes classification hard.

The best way to classify cannabis is by strain. Different strains have different feelings and highs, but even still, there's no way to tell which strain you have unless you talked to the grower who planted the seeds. Many dealers will tell you that they've got "Purple Haze," or "Maui Waui," or some equally hyped-up strain, even if it's not, just to make a buck.

If you're lucky enough to live somewhere where medical marijuana is legal, then you should try to find a reputable medical grow operation. That way you can be sure that you're getting a nice, stoney indica for best relief.

4 people like this.
  6. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

It's really not that hard to quantify. And there is a huge amount of empirical data passed down for hundreds, if not thousands of years now. Just point that little arrow to your favorite search engine and you'll find an incredible amount of information and feedback (enough to keep you busy reading for years)
    There is.
    A pipe, a vaporizer and edibles. The beauty of marihuana in it's many forms is one's own ability to judge it's effecacy specific to one's own needs
    Yes.

Well put.
    Insofar as prices are concerned, the more the general populace understands the formidable healing nature of marihuana, accepts it into the mainstream and then displaces the old and tired 'guard of the absurd status quo', the more the cost will become affordable.

And, of course, for anyone in a position to do so, you can always grow your own...:cool:

7. Viper420

Viper420 Sr. Member

Thats one of the "problems" with MJ. Its just not something you can grade. Now the THC levels along with the other Cannabinoid levels could tested but that wouldn't be practical with each bag of weed. One bud on a plant may have higher THC levels than other buds. Not all buds are created equal. It's a living creature, not an industrial chemical factory.

8. Tenderlungs

Tenderlungs Sr. Member

They may not be medical users legally, but it doesn't mean they're not using it medicinally. I know marijuana helps with my back pain and probably a couple of other medical problems too.

I also definitely know that I can tell the difference in how marijuana makes my body feel. I call it a body high.

:cool:

9. phreakod98

phreakod98 New Member

I agree with most of the people on here. As a medicinal user I grade it by the high I get. There have been a couple of times when the buds are covered in oozing crystals and I dont get as good a high as the bag before with less. Each strain and even individual plants are different and will give you a moderately different high.

10. chadwick

chadwick Sr. Member

medical grade bud is for the most part grow to its fullest potential, but you could do this at home to if your good enough, and another perk of medical MJ is that it is very select strains so you can order it again if you liked the high you get

11. Viper420

Viper420 Sr. Member

There are no standards. Any pot can be medpot. Sure, different strains result in different highs but, as far as the laws are written (as vague as they are) even ditchweed can be considered medpot.

12. itsusnotthem

itsusnotthem New Member

There are tests that can be done to your strain when you clone them to check the potency of your mother plant. then as generations of clones are taken you average the potency by the generations reduceing a percentage with each generation. My garden is currently between 18-20% grade. Approved for medical grade.:cool:

13. KitLeHunn

KitLeHunn New Member

i judge my herb based on

1. How it looks
    2. How it smells
    3. How it smokes

some of the best herb i had was some dense purp, didn't look that great but it really hit hard and burned slow.

14. Plainsman1963

Plainsman1963 New Member

Lemme ask you'all this: does the fact that the bud has red'orange hairs imply anything whatsoever regarding it's predicted "potency"? I know that if a plant is red'orange it is b/c of the plant pigments--but they don't have D-9THC in them do they? Exactly what does a red hair do to improve potency of the weed?
    Is the "hair" a Botanical term for the stamen of the flower? Any help is apprec'd!

15. Tr3-0

Tr3-0 New Member

Well now-adays.
    They actualy have badd ass machines that can
    determine the actuall THC count of a plant.

And it's not that the actuall bud is 20%(or wat-ever %)THC

its that 20% of the actual trichomes are THC enriched.

But i go by this when eye-examining

Good Smell
    Good Looks
    Good Smokes

3G's Never failed me, not once.​

16. toothfairy420

toothfairy420 Stoner Chique

The trichomes are the part of the plant that contain thc, sometimes hairs can also be coated with trichomes, but its usually just because of the close proximity to the rest of the crystals. Hairs usually indicate good bud, but they do very little, if anything to enhance the potency.

17. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

Medical grade marijuana is simply highly potent marijuana grown without injurious chemicals. Different varieties are good for treating different symptoms