medical marijuana card (N the Service)

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by thugcash89, Sep 23, 2008.

1. thugcash89

thugcash89 New Member

Hey, I heard if you have a medical marijuana card you cant go into the service. So Lets say the law passes and they say jobs cant judge you by that, Then can you go in to the service or?
  2. shibshib

shibshib New Member

*face palm* for questions like this it really helps to know what state you're in.

If you're in california, then there is no reason that I know of that the military would ever know you had a recommendation since there isn't any register-with-the-state card anymore.

But yes, from what I've heard, if it is on your record that you are a marijuana user, then military stuff can be tough to get into. I don't think medical counts since military is federal. Unless you join the state guard lol.
  3. Andrew87

Andrew87 Sr. Member

The medical marijuana use really constitutes a secondary issue - the military will be much more concerned with whatever condition you have that requires medication.

Believe it or not, the military doesn't allow people who are on ANY type of medication to join, even 'legal' ones (you have to be off for a certain amount of time with a doctor's recommendation, then apply for a waiver).

You'd be surprised - a lot of seemingly mild, meaningless conditions can DQ someone from military service.

Also, you must pass a drug test before you can be sworn in, and will be given drug tests repeatedly and randomly throughout your enlistment.

The only way I see you possibly getting into the military is to get off of the meds with a doctor's recommendation, and prove that you are capable of functioning properly without it for an extended period of time (a couple of years). This is a big "if," however, because some conditions will PDQ you on the spot with no waiver available.

Talk with your doc and a recruiter and see what's up if this is what your wanting to do, I commend you for your desire to serve.

I wouldn't count on it, the military is specifically exempt from the Americans with Disabilities Act, I don't see why they'd be required to follow something like this.

It really wouldn't make a difference.

The military will ask about potentially disqualifying conditions, and will ask you to submit the relevant medical records. If he lied about it, never had any problems while serving, and never went for a job requiring a security clearance, then they would probably never find out about it. However, if they DID happen to find it for whatever reason, the result would be an other than honorable discharge (which is something that you definitely don't want on your records).

Nope. National Guard would be a no-go as well, as they are still bound by Army and Air Force regulations.
    2 people like this.
  4. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

That would be a California state law and would have no bearing on enlistment in a federal military organization. There is no federal medical marijuana law and testing positive for an illegal drug will put you in deep shit.
  5. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

California does, in fact, have an active registry for State issued cards.
    It seems to be something, as time passes, that more and more individuals are feeling more comfortable with and therefore we're finding an increasing number of dispensaries requesting it from patients...
  6. Neko150

Neko150 New Member

The thing that scares most people, including me, about the cards is the possibility that federal agents could request state MMJ registry information and bust all legal MMJ users.

State police recommend that users have the state-issued card so that they can send legitimate users "on their way" - but at the same time, it could lead to federal prosecution.
  7. Andrew87

Andrew87 Sr. Member

It's possible, but it would take an absolutely extreme amount of money and manpower to do this, so much so that it is likely impractical. Not to mention, the backlash from the states would be, uh, significant, to say the least.

The feds really don't go for misdemeanants, anyways.
  8. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

The DEA isn't interested in small fry. They don't have the resources to go around busting a hundred thousand medical marijuana patients. DEA representatives have come right out and said things like, "We're not interested in anything less than 100 pounds or 100 plants."

Suppliers are at risk of federal intervention. They long ago discovered that busting sick people garners too much bad press.
  9. Marvin420

Marvin420 New Member

Thats why they just go after the sources for their medicine. No one much cares when they bust a dealer.
  10. Neko150

Neko150 New Member

Hm... Allright. There are still so many people however, that I've heard here on the forums, who say they will not get a MMJ card because they don't want Uncle Sam to have a record of their usage.

I can understand that, but given the huge benefit to having the card (I have heard Riverside officers state directly that if you have a legitimate MMJ card, and are posessing under the legal limit, they will send you on your way no problem), and the almost absent risk of Federal prosecution due to card registry, why not get the card? Principle?