Michigan doctors

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by xxneutronxx, Nov 5, 2008.

1. xxneutronxx

xxneutronxx New Member

does anyone know any doctors in southeast Michigan that are MMJ friendly? My doctor is ultra-conservative, and would never give anyone a recommendation for MMJ.

2. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

Do you have one of the very small number of very serious illnesses that qualify under the new Michigan medical marijuana law? Michigan isn't California, where you can get a recommendation for a hangnail.

3. Purpose420

Purpose420 Sr. Member

Yes I do, I need to know the who, wheres and how's to apply for temp residency ? and all the people I need to contact to make this possible ...............Doctors, laywer's, congressmen.........whatever:D

4. xxneutronxx

xxneutronxx New Member

yes, I fit the criteria

5. nornerator

nornerator New Member

Me too, I think my Dr. is going to give me a prescription. The first time I met him I told him that I used Cannabis as medication for a disease that fits the criteria of the new legislature. He told me that essentially he approved but that he wasn't allowed to recommend it to me. I am excited to see him again to just make this all legal, on the up and up.

6. buzz

buzz New Member

I'm very happy about this here in Mi. I've spoke to my doctor and my neruo and both know I use weed for my epilepsy. Hopefully they will give me a script:D

7. drgreenthumb09

drgreenthumb09 New Member

I have a question that I hope someone can answer. How can any physician write a prescription for a schedule I drug? Even if a state law says that a doctor can prescribe marijuana, a doctors license to prescribe drugs is issued and governed by the DEA which is a federal agency where marijuana is a schedule I drug. I would think that if any doctor wrote a prescription, their license would be revoked just as if they tried to prescribe heroin or any other schedule I drug.

In the states that allow medical marijuana, do you go to a regular licensed doctor and get a prescription written on a prescription pad or is the prescription in some other form like a letter? How is it in California? I am sure that even if it is legal to prescribe, you can't just go to any doctor to get it, just like you can't go to any doctor to write you a schedule II pain medication prescription. Is there a website or a place one can go to find a doctor that will prescribe marijuana?

Thanks

8. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

Recommendation, not Prescription

He can't. Only drugs listed in the US Pharmacopeia can be prescribed. That's a matter of federal law and federal licensing. Doctors provide a recommendation that medical marijuana would be beneficial for a patient's condition.

9. dirtbomb

dirtbomb Hippie

Considering that "Cannabis Indica" was in the USP for many years, it shouldn't be too hard to reinstate it. :)

10. digdog

digdog New Member

This is an inaccurate assessment of the Michigan act.

This is inaccurate

See the full text of the act here: medcannabis - FULL TEXT OF THE MICHIGAN MEDICAL MARIJUANA ACTÂ*Â*

From the list of qualifying conditions:

(1) Cancer, glaucoma, positive status for human immunodeficiency virus, acquired immune deficiency syndrome, hepatitis C, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Crohn's disease, agitation of Alzheimer's disease, nail patella, or the treatment of these conditions.

(2) A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces 1 or more of the following: cachexia or wasting syndrome; severe and chronic pain; severe nausea; seizures, including but not limited to those characteristic of epilepsy; or severe and persistent muscle spasms, including but not limited to those characteristic of multiple sclerosis.

The act also provides that the doctor is the sole gatekeeper to access and that the court may not second guess the Doctor's professional judgement.

Even if the department of health refuses or fails to issue a registry card you still have the protection providing the Doctor signed the recommendation and you fill out an affidavit and have it noterized.

A very good explination of the law is here: Legal User Guide: Basic Facts About Michigan's Prop 1 - 420 Magazine

As far a a list of doctors may be being compiled by Home_Page

Good luck.

11. dyedahair

dyedahair New Member

definitely need to know which doctors are MMJ friendly, the last link provided above does not indicate that information, at least not yet...

12. bswit09

bswit09 New Member

im fully qualified and all i need is a doctor to sign me off any recomendations?

13. college4life

college4life New Member

If you need a great doctor, I recommend Dr. Paul Meyer in Saginaw, MI. He is extremely helpful and his staff are super nice and very caring about your pain that your going through.

14. alaskahnt

alaskahnt Active Member

alot of doctors are mmj friendly in michigan the problem is most doctors CANT just write it they are subject to loseing any hospital affiliation this mean lost funding my doctor feels its great but sent us to another doctor for the paperwork. pick up a mmm report magazine or a buzzed news they are full dr,s advertizing all over southeast mich. in the flint area theres the michigan wellness center dye rd flint. hope this helps.