Mixing marijuana and other medications

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by little_bit, May 30, 2005.

1. little_bit

little_bit New Member

I've smoked marijuana for non-medicinal reasons for 2 years, but then I realized how wonderful it is for treating migraine pain. I couldn't get into the doctor for 2 weeks so I had to tough it out and I don't think I would have made it without marijuana. It also helped with the nauseating feeling that comes with most migraines. I finally got in to see the doctor and they gave me Maxalt-MLT to help manage the migraine pain, but it's very expensive and doesn't work as well as marijuana. The Maxalt barely takes the edge off of a bad migraine. I was wondering if it is safe to take both at the same time.

Also, I recently hurt my upper back pretty bad, and the doctor gave me muscle relaxants to ease the pain. That medication is called Cyclobenzaprine HCL. I'm kinda scared to take that because it is physically addicting, so I was thinking I would continue to use the marijuana. However, I don't smoke all day long and I might need to take the muscle relaxant during the day. Is it safe to use those in the same day?

Thanks in advance for all the responses.

2. cajunbud

cajunbud New Member

back pain???

I've had back problems since i fell off a foof when i was 15yrs old. Constant spasams and cronic pain almost kept me at home until I realized that smoking a little in the morning kept the pain and spasams down for about 3 to 4 hours. By the time the pain came back enuf to piss me off, I was on my way home to smoke a big fattie. Then i was O.K. for the rest if the night.
    Good Luck and Good Smoking! :bong2:

3. cajunbud

cajunbud New Member

Also

This was just my input. MJ is not a fix to all problems.Prescription drugs are not either. I'd prefer not to take any at all. Too much BS in them; you never know what side effects they'll have on u. Besides severe hemoraging and a leaky anus are not worth a little pain killer.

4. little_bit

little_bit New Member

I appreciate your input, but that doesn't really answer my question.

My question is, is it safe to mix marijuana and those two medicines?

5. Sam_Stone

Sam_Stone New Member

I would talk to your doctor. You should always let your physician know that you're a habitual marijuana smoker before letting them write any prescriptions for you. They're bound by doctor-patient confidentality not to release that information so feel free to ask them any questions you might have.

6. little_bit

little_bit New Member

That's really good advice, the only problem is, my insurance sucks and I don't have a regular doctor right now. They don't let you call up a doc and ask him questions if you aren't his patient. I'm not even sure they let you do that if you are. I chickened out of asking when I was there, so I blew my chance. I was hoping to find a pharmatist or doctor in here that might know.. *hopes* :shrug: :poke:

7. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

you [robably will not find a doctor or pharmacist on here who would volunteer the information you are looking for -- but...

...what often do when being provided with new medicine is do a Yahoo search on it...

Then I check the Patient Interactions and see what other drugs are similar to the drug I am prescribed and check their interactions.

There is also quite a bit of information from folks who have written about their own reactions with various medications while they have smoked pot -- from a little (a joint once a month) to daily (or more frequent) smoking...

One bit of advice I can tell you is that pot will increase the effect of pain killers and muscle relaxants. This means that you will INCREASE the effect of those muscle relaxants and possibly the migraine medicine too if you are smoking pot. This is important to remember because both Pain Killers & Muscle Relaxants are CNS depressants (Central Nervous System) and will effect your reaction time when driving a car and performing any other tasks.

Here is some quick on the Cyclobenzaprine HCL which is the generic of Flexeril

Uses:
    This medication relaxes muscles and relieves pain and discomfort associated with strains, sprains, spasms or other muscle injuries.

How To Take This Medication:
    May be taken with food if stomach upset occurs. Take this medication as directed. Do not increase your dose or take it more often than prescribed.

Side Effects:

May cause stomach upset, heartburn, constipation, headache, dizziness or drowsiness or dry mouth the first few days as your body adjusts to the medication. If these symptoms persist or become severe, notify your doctor.

Inform your doctor if you develop: muscle stiffness, skin rash, itching, rapid heart rate, swelling of the face, difficulty urinating.

When rising quickly from a sitting or lying position, dizziness or lightheadedness may occur. Change positions slowly and use caution on stairs.

Avoid activities requiring alertness if dizziness or drowsiness occurs.

If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

Precautions:
    Before taking this drug, tell your doctor if you have: glaucoma, an overactive thyroid gland, heart disease, difficulty urinating, any allergies. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breast-feeding before taking this drug.

Drug Interactions:
    Tell your doctor of any over-the-counter or prescription medications you take, especially of: cimetidine, antidepressants, sedatives, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, narcotic pain medication (e.g., codeine), anti-allergy drugs, drugs used for asthma, cough-and-cold medicines.

Alcohol adds to the dizziness and drowsiness caused by cyclobenzaprine. Limit alcohol intake. Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.

Missed Dosage:
    If you miss a dose, take as soon as remembered; do not take if it is almost time for the next dose, instead, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not "double-up" the dose to catch up.

Storage:
    Store at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture.

More on the MAXALT tablets can be found here: http://www.drugs.com/PDR/Maxalt_Tablets.html

Niether appear to have a direct problem with using pot...

but again ...I ain't no Doc or Pharmacist ... this is just what I found on the web with a quick search

8. little_bit

little_bit New Member

Thank you

Thank you. I've found quite a bit of that information in my research as well, however I was having trouble interpreting it. I guess I can try smoking a little with half a pill and then see how that goes. I'm on a few of those "be very careful when taking..." medications as well (allergy meds, Paxil, etc) so I'll have to be extra careful.
    Again, thanks for all the help. :lookaroun

9. SkyTripper

SkyTripper New Member

Smoking marijuana is safe to do with pills such as muscle relaxants.....physiologically-speaking. The two combined together will not have any toxological effect on you or cause you any form of overdose concerns.
    The only thing of concern with combining the two are the lack of alertness and much slower reflex time as well as a state of intense drowsiness which would need to be considered if you have ANY plans which would involve doing any activity where you would need to remain awake and alert.
    If you can just relax and have no plans other than to sleep or veg on a couch or something.....you will be ok, IMO. :eek:

10. little_bit

little_bit New Member

Thanks, SkyTripper. I tried taking a muscle relaxant during the day and smoking at night, and it made me very, very sleepy. The relaxant alone does that a little. I can only imagine how sleepy I'd get with the marijuana. Might be a good thing for me though. I only took the relaxant last night (I didn't smoke), and I had trouble sleeping. :yawn:

11. High Mom

High Mom New Member

Personal experience

I suffer with both and am able to successfully handle them with MJ.

With migraines, it induces a state of relaxation I am incapable of reaching by using prescription meds alone. Smoke a bowl, lie down in a dark room and the migraine, while not completely abated, is MUCH more tolerable. When used with migraine meds, the pain usually completely abated, although I am reduced to a blithering idiot, but a happy one. :D MJ's effects on nausea is well-documented and if I can catch the headache early enough, can alleviate the nausea before it turns into full vomiting. (Sorry for the graphic description)

With back pain and spasms: WOW! I have used it with Flexeril for years, both before and after my spinal surgery, again with better results than with the prescription meds. (or prescription meds alone, in this case) The combo will definitely make you relax, which is what you need, esp. in the early period after a back injury. The anti-spasmodic properties of MJ greatly enhance the same properties of Flexeril and help with the anxiety I develop as a result of being cooped up and in pain.

Again, watch yourself when combining CNS depressants and MJ. Be mindful of your feelings, both physical and emotional and know your own limits.

These are my personal experiences and may not be applicable to everyone.

12. little_bit

little_bit New Member

Wow! Thanks, I couldn't ask for a more comparable situation. I really appreciate you speaking up!

13. High Mom

High Mom New Member

You're welcome Little Bit. Hope it helps. I screwed up the names of the drugs in my initial post, but have gone back & corrected it, now. (I transposed Flexeril & Maxalt.) I hope it didn't cause any confusion and sincerely hope you feel better soon. :wave:

14. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

Well, I am on several medications myself. Thyroid, stomach meds +...I also take Cyclobenzaprine/Flexeril. I can't take more than 1/4-1/2 tablet of Flexeril because it makes me too tired if I take the whole pill. The dose I take does help.

I also have migraines. My doctor has me taking Midrin for them. I usually smoke something then take the Midrin because the headaches always make me sick.

I have no trouble whatsoever smoking marijuana and taking my Midrin or Flexeril, at the dose I take. I agree with everyone else here, mixing will increase the effects of one and or both the marijuana and the medicine, so do be careful. I wouldn't worry, though. I have had no problems and you shouldn't either. Maybe you could break your Flexeril's in half and try half a tablet with smoking and see how you feel. The good thing is since they both increase each others effects, you can toke and take less. :D