Most Incredible Screen Saver

Discussion in 'Technology' started by PooFoot, Apr 9, 2006.

1. PooFoot

PooFoot New Member

www.electricsheep.org

This is the most amazing screen saver i've ever seen. While in screensaver mode, electric sheep turns your computer into a component of a rendering cluster following complex mathematical algorithims to render out 'sheep'. The sheep are segments of the screensaver and are shared p2p via built in bit torrent which always runs in the background, throttled down. Roughly every 15 minutes you get a new sheep added to the screensaver repetoire. Its definately the trippiest screen saver I've seen.

2. slimpickens

slimpickens New Member

I don't like the idea of it being able to download and execute whenever it feels like. I feel spyware...

3. LebenOjanen

LebenOjanen New Member

Spyware? LoL

Spyware eh? Let me get a definition of that for you.

Spyware - The broad category of malicious software designed to intercept or take partial control of a computer's operation without the informed consent of that machine's owner or legitimate user.

Now then, let's see....it downloads new parts of the screensaver while it's running and only while it's running AND it never really executes anything, just builds onto the existing screensaver. Ok, now considering you have to tell it to run, you're giving it permission, and since you know what it's downloading then I really don't see how there's any spyware classification. I might also need to mention that it's open source, so if you're really paranoid, you can actually download the code, look at it, and build it after you're sure it's safe.

Ya might need to readjust your definition of spyware.

My 2 cents.

4. Darque Pervert

Darque Pervert Jive Honkey

I prefer the term 'malware' to lump together an nasty set of 0s & 1s like trojan horses, virii, spyware, adware, etc.

I don't trust 3rd party screensavers period. They aren't as necessary as they were 15-20 years ago, as the monitors we use are highly unlikley to burn in. The ones in use are more for entertainment value. (Remember the After Dark series?)

5. ADIDAS

ADIDAS Represent. KY

Wow until that post, I had completely forgotten the purpose of screensavers other than cosmetic appeal. Yea, I remember at school when kids would leave their screensaverless monitors on over the weekend, and come back the next Monday and the image would be burnt into the screen. Good Times