My appetite is gone?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by CS&N, Mar 31, 2010.

1. CS&N

CS&N New Member

I've been smoking daily (well, nightly) for a month and a half now. I quit within the past five-ish days. My appetite has almost vanished. It started with just cutting back at meals, now all I had all day yesterday was a mini pizza and today I had a pancake and a half at breakfast hand havent been hungry since. Currently, I'm forcing myself to eat some chicken because I know this isnt healthy.

So, could this be related to quitting and just pass soon, or could it be something totally different?

All help appreciated, thanks!

2. CS&N

CS&N New Member

Any advice?

3. Justiiice

Justiiice New Member

Well I'm not as hungry when I don't smoke, but I still try to eat at least 3 - 4 smaller things a day, and try to get some vitamins as well. A couple weeks ago I went on vacation with some family and I didn't smoke for a week straight, and I had ben smoking daily for at least a year probably, missing not too many days. And although I wasn't that hungry, when we went out I just ordered lighter things or smaller meals just to get something down. It's hard when you get used to eating after smoking, but I try not to use it for that purpose.

4. Justiiice

Justiiice New Member

And you smoked for a month and half and then quit? May I ask why? :confused:

5. GoldenYggdrasil

GoldenYggdrasil New Member

It could just be the routine you had set up in your mind. Probably nothing too bad to worry about, just gotta get in the mindset that you don't have to be stoned to eat.:p

6. CS&N

CS&N New Member

Well, I didnt quit per say, so much as go on a long TB, and I wouldn't eat when stoned too often, I would usually chew gum so I didn't eat so much, lol. I am still eating, though not hungry, so I'm just curious at this point.

7. quester

quester Sr. Member

Sounds to me like a “conditioned reflex”.
    Your brain has linked eating with smoking hemp.
    Smoke hemp = food = eat.
    No smoking of hemp = no food = no eating.

Here’s a link that explains it.
    Code:
    http://nobelprize.org/educational_games/medicine/pavlov/readmore.html

2 people like this.
  8. robino

robino New Member

I've sort of gotten to be the same way. I don't really get hungry anymore when I don't smoke and I don't crave any kind of food anymore, AT ALL. It sort of sucks because I used to really look forward to eating certain foods but now I just don't really care as much.

At the same time, I realized that I would only eat after smoking and that I was eating too much, plus killing my high, so I've started eating before I smoke or after my high is gone.

Now, not having an appetite gives me that feeling of emptiness but then again I kinda like not being hungry all day, makes me feel less like a fatty.

9. CrayzStoner

CrayzStoner New Member

Quester described it perfectly. I am the same way...I feel I need to smoke to eat now. If I dont smoke I can go a whole day without eating and sometimes I dont even notice I do it till I think about the last time I ate. Sometimes I literally just dont want food...while others I can tell my stomach wants food...but NOTHING SOUNDS APPETIZING. It sucks...my only advice is to smoke less than 3 times a week. If you smoke everyday the appetite vanishing will keep coming back when you dont smoke.

10. Kushy

Kushy down

Loss of appetite is a symptom of MJ withdrawal. It will be gone in less than a week, probably around 2-3 days. In the mean time, just eat light meals when you can and you should be fine.

2 people like this.
  11. quester

quester Sr. Member

Good to know.
    I always thought that "withdrawal" was something that people went through who were addicted to something.

Wait are you trying to say hemp is addictive?? :confused:

12. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime New Member

dude i'm goin through the same thing. it'll pass. just give it a few days

13. Kushy

Kushy down

No, many drugs have withdrawals, but the degree of the withdrawals are different. Heroin withdrawals are much stronger, more intense, and painful than caffeine or marijuana withdrawals. Because people often associate "withdrawals" with a junkie, puking his guts up and going through the awful withdrawals, it bothers some people to call them marijuana withdrawals, but if you really want the truth, they're still withdrawals, just much weaker than most other drugs.

And is marijuana addictive? Physically no. Psychologically it keeps you coming back for more, simply because it's pleasureable. That doesn't mean it's addictive but it does mean that it can be abused, and if misused, it can be addictive, just like sex or video games.

14. quester

quester Sr. Member

^^
    You forgot booze.
    I've had withdrawal from caffein but, in 42 years of toking, never from pot.