Need information regarding Hospital Pre-Admission

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Heyyall, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Heyyall

Heyyall New Member

Stats: 5'8, 135lbs, obviously high metab rate.
    Smoke: Not as often as I used to... couple of times per week

I am having minor surgery in mid-late May. I smoked a small joint yesterday and have been averaging a smoke once every three days or so for the past month after smoking regularly for the past 3 years or so.

I have to go in for hospital pre-admission work on May 18th. My question is do the blood sample and possible urine sample the hospital will take test for illegal drugs? I recently signed a contract for a job when I get out of college, but when I have the surgery I will already be under my future employer's insurance policy. This is NOT a drug-test issued by my future employer, it's just routine pre-surgical work.

First of all will the hospital test for illegal drugs as part of the Pre-Admission work? And two, would it be a violation of my patient's rights if they were to inform the insurance co. or employer of THC metabolites in my system? Is there any way they can inform someone to where I could get in trouble?

By the time I do this pre-admission stuff, I will have been clean for seven weeks (49 days). I took a home test in January and passed it after 6 days of abstinence. I don't know if I can rely on this same outcome next time, so I was wondering if anyone knew any specifics on Pre-Admission Hospital work.

2. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

I don't think that these tests will look for illegal drugs, but I don't know for sure. You might contact sec3, one of our mods, who is in the drug-testing business and knows all aspects of it.

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA, Title II) protects you from having your medical information disseminated to anyone without your permission. If an employer pays for a drug test, he is entitled to the results (because you have consented to it in writing). If your insurance pays for it he is not.