New CNA & New At Drug Screens

Discussion in 'Urine Testing' started by worried_one, Aug 2, 2012.

1. worried_one

worried_one New Member

Just wondering if anyone works in long term care. I know I'll have to take a pre-employment drug screen (which I am currently preparing for::sad face::( but what about random drug screens? Anyone have experience with these?
    I really am not looking to work in a hospital- just a nursing home for now.

Any info on random drug tests will help ...

2. worried_one

worried_one New Member

and I'm in Illinois if that helps responses

3. orangecrush8585

orangecrush8585 New Member

from what i know they won't random you unless you get hurt on the job, then they would drug test you. i think out of all the places to work an ltc would be the least likely place to random because they dont have as much money as a hospital.perhaps they might have you do a yearly physical (where they make you have your yearly tb test) and maybe a drug test would be required at this time but you would know in advance cause they would tell you your yearly physical is coming up and needs to be completed in thirty days, etc.

3 people like this.
  4. DrugTestDave

DrugTestDave Moderator

gah! I hate that random drug testing, it's the worst. If I were you I would just keep a same day detox kit or capsules on hand. Those things will make it possible to pass a test, but only for about a five hour window. It's a good back up plan in case something does happen, and you can keep it in your bag, glove box, etc.

Hope that helps--Illinois is more lenient than some but worse than others, kinda middle of the road in my opinion.

-Dave

2 people like this.
  5. DubAlley

DubAlley New Member

I work in pre hospital care and had the same worries. After the pre employment screening you should not be subject to another screening unless your employers have reason to suspect drug use or if your involved in any incident that may bring up question. When being employed review your companies drug testing policies because they are supposed to inform u either verbally or ok paper if they do random drug screenings. :)

2 people like this.
  6. worried_one

worried_one New Member

Thank you for your responses! I'm ready to give up on daily smoking, but not all together just yet.

Day 15 clean... and I think I'm getting faint lines on at home tests (or I just really want to see one)
    Almost ready to start applying:banana:

2 people like this.
  7. worried_one

worried_one New Member

Another thing....

Do you think that they would test me at 20 ng since it is the healthcare field??

Because if so-FML

8. DrugTestDave

DrugTestDave Moderator

I don't think so, and if so, it would say so on your paperwork. Generally a lower than 50ng test is reserved for probation and sometimes Class A license stuff, DOT licenses, etc. and law enforcement in some instances. Let us know!

-Dave

9. Wild_Girl88

Wild_Girl88 New Member

I work as a CNA and i was just random drug tested so it does happen!! I was shocked because they never did a pre employment drug test. They called me a month after I was hired (and smoking like everyday) to tell me I was selected for a random drug screen. Needless to say I was PISSED! I fooled them though and followed N2's Dilution method and passed.

Anyway yes it can happen randomly but its actually not that common to get randoms unless you get hurt or show up high as hell...But there are ways to cheat the test. I'll be damned if I let anyone regulate my weed smokin!

4 people like this.
  10. DubAlley

DubAlley New Member

It's good to know there's other people in hospital care that smoke ha I was starting to think I was alone..

11. worried_one

worried_one New Member

Do you know if they tested you at 50ng or 20 ng?

2 people like this.
  12. worried_one

worried_one New Member

Lots of people smoke in hospital care but they are just too embarassed to admit it!

13. DubAlley

DubAlley New Member

Haha really? Yea that would make sense, it probably wouldn't look too good for a paramedic to be labeled as a stoner... Oh well they don't need to know anyways x)

14. smokinRN

smokinRN New Member

My hospital told us during orientation they would only test if we got hurt so to watch out. I know many nurses that smoke, we're not alone!

3 people like this.