Official Whitehouse Marijuana Petition!

Discussion in 'Legalization/Decriminalization' started by Steve Cool, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Steve Cool

Steve Cool Tokemaster General Staff Member

The White House is now accepting petitions from the American people on what issues matter to them. The minimum threshold for a response from the administration is 5,000 signatures, at which point they claim: "White House staff will review it, ensure it’s sent to the appropriate policy experts, and issue an official response."

Since they seem to like to ignore or denounce any similar 3rd party petitions (online or otherwise), let's give them some official numbers to work with.

Please sign, and PLEASE SHARE!

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petition/legalize-and-regulate-marijuana-manner-similar-alcohol/y8l45gb1

It took me a minute to get a whitehouse.gov account going due to the server being overloaded and throwing up the occasional "We're doing maintenance" page... a few refreshes fixed that problem, though. Only took a minute or two to finish the whole process. Now I am checking the signatures again and it's going even slower. I guess a lot of people want to sign. :)

Just stick with it, and eventually the page will come back!

6 people like this.
  2. stoneygreenbud

stoneygreenbud Super Moderator

All I get is: under maintenance page

But i'll keep trying, although I don't have any faith in the govt. or the white house for that matter, all their going to do is sidestep the question or ignore it altogether.

~Stoney~

7 people like this.
  3. superman420

superman420 New Member

Some people just don't get it, do they? :rolleyes:
    Lets try one more time to explain this to you. The White House doesn't care what you think about MJ. They have made it abundantly clear that MJ is not an issue they want to discuss. Period. End of story. They have laid down their views on it and when pressed further concerning the matter, it becomes the butt of a joke. They are laughing at you. You're just a stupid pothead to them.
    But for some reason you keep ignoring their disdain for your (and mine as well) cause. Its time to grasp the idea that their minds are made up and you're not changing their viewpoint.
    Edit...the website is up and running. So go ahead and sign the petition for all the good it will do you. When the White House gets the petition in their IN basket, it will go straight to the Recycle Bin as if it never existed.

9 people like this.
  4. Avior

Avior New Member

signed it this morning.

5. Steve Cool

Steve Cool Tokemaster General Staff Member

If you think it's pointless that's cool -- I can definitely see where you are coming from -- but there's no need to be condescending. :)

7 people like this.
  6. 5drive

5drive Slacker

Yes, that was a truely disrespectful post. It's quite easy to get your point across without being insulting. You're gonna need to do better than this in the future.

5 people like this.
  7. zappy

zappy Pondering Primate

This could turn out to be something that the government will simply ignore, as they tend to do, although it is definitely worth doing. The more people that support cannabis law reform, the better.

2 people like this.
  8. mallitia95

mallitia95 Sr. Tokemaster

signing it now

9. SmokeyBear88

SmokeyBear88 New Member

Sign it. Took me a minute. Since I have been checking the page about 600 signatures have been added. It's been about 20 min. Great stuff.

10. mallitia95

mallitia95 Sr. Tokemaster

I signed every marijuana or hemp related one that was on there. Notice how almost all of the petitions up on the site are marijuana/hemp related.

2 people like this.
  11. claygooding

claygooding DrugWarVeteran

The Whitehouse petition from NORML is already nearly full,,,4600+..will be filled today.

2 people like this.
  12. claygooding

We the People Want to End Marijuana Prohibition
    September 22nd, 2011 / Erik Altieri / NORML

[​IMG]

Today, the White House launched its new, long-awaited website “We the People.” The administration describes the site as a “tool [that] provides you with a new way to petition the Obama Administration to take action on a range of important issues facing our country.”

The White House further promises, “If a petition gets enough support, White House staff will review it, ensure it’s sent to the appropriate policy experts, and issue an official response.” The White House has set this threshold at 5,000 signatures within 30 days.

Demand the Obama administration defend their support for marijuana prohibition. If they can not, then why do they continue to endorse this failed public policy?

Below is the petition NORML has submitted for consideration:
    We Petition the Obama Administration to:
    Legalize and Regulate Marijuana in a Manner Similar to Alcohol.

We the people want to know when we can have our “perfectly legitimate” discussion on marijuana legalization. Marijuana prohibition has resulted in the arrest of over 20 million Americans since 1965, countless lives ruined and hundreds of billions of tax dollars squandered and yet this policy has still failed to achieve its stated goals of lowering use rates, limiting the drug’s access, and creating safer communities.

Isn’t it time to legalize and regulate marijuana in a manner similar to alcohol? If not, please explain why you feel that the continued criminalization of cannabis will achieve the results in the future that it has never achieved in the past?

[​IMG] Sign. Share. Legalize.

(NOTE: The White House has been experiencing technical difficulties with their website, please be patient and allow the petition time to load, if you receive an error message retry later)

UPDATE:
    The media is beginning to notice: Daily Caller – “Weed Legalization and Animal Spay/Neuter Top WH Petitions”

5000 signatures already recvd. Keep signing,,the minimum is 5k,,there is no maximum.

4 people like this.
  13. cabriosnap

cabriosnap Not Man, Merely a Machine

link doesn't work :(

EDIT:nevermind. i used clay's link and it worked

14. clint902

clint902 Sr. Member

I just signed it. The government might not listen but they'll be aware that they're ignoring the voice of the people.

15. claygooding

now we need one from the AMA,,requesting the re-scheduling of cannabis so that clinical medical research can be performed.

And one from the industrial hemp organizations on their platform with a green answer to some of America's carbon debt.

One from the NAACP,,asking that the racial application of the drug laws be addressed and stopped immediately.

Etc,etc,etc,,,and we sign them all!

Hit them high,,hit them low,,and make them wince with every blow.

4 people like this.
  16. JedtheDog

JedtheDog New Member

Please take 2 minutes to get involved..Thank You..

17. superman420

superman420 New Member

The truth is never disrespectful. The truth is the truth. Sometimes it hurts to hear the truth.
    I'm sorry you were offended but you know what this fiasco reminds me of? It's like a bunch of kids who go out trick or treating on Halloween and they come to a vacant house and knock on the door. And they knock on the door. And they knock on the door. And they knock on the door. They just didn't understand that no one was home.
    But hey, keep knocking.

18. claygooding

It reminds me of the people that I started smoking with over 40 years ago,,eager for hope,,willing to take the time to try and fix a situation,,instead of giving "truths" as they see them and sticking pins in other peoples balloons.

mlm,,and have a "Happy" day:ns:

19. superman420

superman420 New Member

If I thought it actually had a chance at accomplishing something, I'd be all for it. Its like bashing your head against a granite mountain with the idea that if enough of us bash our heads against this mountain, eventually it will fall down.
    The White House has said repeatedly what their stance is. How many times will they have to tell you? And if this was the first internet excursion done by the white house then YES, by all means sign it. Go ahead and sign it now if you think it will help. It won't but you'll be able to say you tried, right?

20. claygooding

We are not doing this for an answer from the Whitehouse,,we are doing this so my next door neighbor won't call the police because he saw me toking with friends.

We do this so maybe a few more people will see the flaws in our governments drug
    policy and it's failure to accomplish it's goals,,in any form.

We do this on this site for the comradeship and support we give and take from each other.

Why do you do it?
    Why do you want to take so much of the negative side,,bring objections against or criticize peoples efforts to change this insanity?

5 people like this.