Official Whitehouse Marijuana Petition!

Discussion in 'Legalization/Decriminalization' started by Steve Cool, Sep 22, 2011.

1. this_guy

this_guy New Member

"marijuana use is associated with addiction, respiratory disease, and cognitive impairment."

Their response is completely bogus. There is no way marijuana is more addictive or causes respiratory disease over cigarettes, and alcohol causes just the same if not more cognitive impairment than marijuana.

Also,
    "This last fiscal year alone, the Federal Government spent over $10 billion on drug education and treatment programs compared to just over $9 billion on drug related law enforcement in the U.S"

This is just asinine, to admit to wasting such an absurd amount for drug control, I would be willing to bet that if they had cut marijuana out of the equation, those numbers would have probably been halved, and the money spent in other, more efficient means.
  2. mossrock

mossrock New Member

Equal protection under the law?

Greetings.

I want to make a clear point about the following excerpt taken from this link.>> Civil Rights | The White House

Predominantly, I want to show how president Obama supports one agenda, while denying another of equal importance which in fact are one in the same civil right issues by using what is below.

"Progress
    On September 20, 2011, the discriminatory law known as ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ was finally and formally repealed.

President Obama has expressed his support for the Respect for Marriage Act, legislation that would uphold the principle that the federal government should not deny gay and lesbian couples the same rights and legal protections as straight couples.

The President signed the certification stating the statutory requirements for repeal of DADT (Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell) have been met, ending the discriminatory law that undermines our military readiness and violates American principles of fairness and equality." (Taken from Civil Rights | The White House)

The second point above is the crux of the argument.

Users of Cannabis wish to have the same legal status as users of Alcohol do. Essentially, this is almost exactly the same argument Gay and lesbian individuals are using by asking for the repeal of Dont ask, Dont tell and the implementation of the respect for marriage act. So the question is, how can one group of individuals in America get presidential support for a civil rights violation when others are asking his support for a similar issue, yet they are denied?

Wouldn't it also stand to reason that under that same umbrella of civil rights that Gay and Lesbian couples are using to push for legislative change, that Cannabis users should be allowed the same legal rights that Alcohol users currently have? After all, Cannabis users are not being treated equal under the law, and it has been show that Alcohol is by far worse than Cannabis has proven to be. So under the law, Cannabis users should gain equal protection as well.

Essentially, the Government is seeking to give one group of individuals protection under the law while at the same time, denying another group the same protections.
  3. mossrock

mossrock New Member

Sign this NEW petition AS THE WHITE HOUSE FINALLY RESPONDED TO MANY MARIJUANA PETITIONS EN MASS WITH A LOAD OF B.S. :doh::banghead:https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitio...done-gay-and-les-dadt-respect-maract/dt8gTqFn

WE PETITION THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TO:
    Give cannabis users the same protection as alcohol users as you have done for gay and les with DADT & Respect mar.Act!
    President Obama has expressed his support for the Respect for Marriage Act, legislation that would uphold the principle that the federal government should not deny gay and lesbian couples the same rights and legal protections as straight couples.

Users of Cannabis wish to have the same legal status as users of Alcohol do. Essentially, this is almost exactly the same argument Gay and lesbian individuals are using by asking for the repeal of Dont ask, Dont tell and the implementation of the respect for marriage act. So the question is, how can one group of individuals in America get presidential support for a civil rights violation when others are asking his support for a similar issue, yet they are denied?

Created: Oct 29, 2011
    Issues: Civil Rights and Liberties, Government Reform, Human Rights
  4. rocky400

rocky400 New Member

5. jacksonman

jacksonman New Member

Is anyone surprised?
    I've been reading this thread from the start and it reminds me of a conversation a child may have with a parent.
    Child: Mommy, can I have a candy bar?
    Mother: No
    .Child: Mommy, can I have a candy bar?
    Mother: No.
    You know how the White House feels about MJ yet you keep asking the same question over and over again.
    And I also have an issue about the so called number of people who signed off on these "petitions". Any one with a computer any where in the world can sign it. And you can sign it multiple times.
  6. clint902

clint902 Sr. Member

I'm not surprised at their letter. I just don't understand why marijuana is illegal but alcohol is legal. Don't understand any of it but surely somebody's getting money by keeping it illegal, something like protection money.
    2 people like this.
  7. claygooding

claygooding DrugWarVeteran

The refusal of the petitions,,some not addressed in the response,,once more brings people to realize that there is more than reasonable support to our claims,that marijuana is illegal because of threatened corporate profits and corrupted government by supporting prohibition,even when 50% of America wants it legalized.

The more we educate America about the fallacy of the drug czars"science",which Norml has already done,more people will start supporting legalization,,,people are startting to listen to us and the advocates.

One petition is for a debate on legalization with the drug czar. He can spew his crap in speeches and in propaganda press releases,but he cannot defend them when cornered.
  8. jacksonman

jacksonman New Member

You don't get it, do you? They are ignoring you. The petitions went straight to the Recycle Bin.
  9. claygooding

you don't get it,,we are not doing it because we expect our government to do anything,,it is the failure to do anything that will gain even higher numbers supporting legalization.
    And their spewing garbage about science and research will help us.

The higher these numbers go,,the more likely a state will legalize basing their decision on majority rules..
    2 people like this.
  10. jacksonman

jacksonman New Member

Are the numbers even valid? Internet polling is extremely unreliable.
  11. claygooding

The numbers are not from an internet poll.

We were all raised under the idea that we are a country of the people,by the people,for the people,,,we know better,,but if the 99% get the idea that Washington is ignoring the majority they will react.
    2 people like this.
  12. Dedbr

Dedbr Domestic War Veteran

I voted for the asshole, too. :mad: Damn, it still pisses me off. The truth of the matter is that this government has ignored it's citizens for too damn long. Not just about herb legalization, but a lot of other things, too. Being a long time activist I have seen more lies from these people than I can stand. Makes me want to stop participating, but after all this time and all this change clay and I have seen I know that soon herb will be legal and then I'm going to smoke a big blunt in front of the Whitehouse and screw 'em........:p

I can't compare herb legalization to unemployment and gas prices and the poor in this country because it's not as important. But, legalization is in the same category, broken promises and ruined lives all because of big business.....

Legalize it. Get out and vote, even if you think it doesn't matter, it really does......:wiggle:

Ded.........
    2 people like this.
  13. claygooding

I find it interesting that not one major newspaper has had an op-ed on the Whitehouse response.
    2 people like this.
  14. Dedbr

Dedbr Domestic War Veteran

I think their all afraid of loosing there ad revenues to come out for it.....:(

Follow the money I always say......

Ded.......
  15. jacksonman

jacksonman New Member

Nothing at all will come of this. As long as people have their Ipods and Iphones and Ipads and fast food and all the creature comforts at their disposal, nothing will change. The 99% are merely sheep. Blind contented sheep.
  16. claygooding

Your totally right of course,,,but just in case your wrong,,I think I will hang out here,in :blazed: case someone wakes up.
    4 people like this.
  17. -LOST-

-LOST- New Member

I think it is awesome how well this has gotten around!
    I signed this petition way before I even found the site xD
  18. beanieman

beanieman New Member

I'm new here but I'll take a shot. I signed a petition a few months back and the response that was issued was absolutely terrible. Here's how I see it: Marijuana has the potential to eliminate the need for many prescription medications, thus eliminating the need for government funding to large pharmaceutical companies. Here's the problem: Pharma companies generate insane amounts of revenue which in turn raise an insane amount of tax money for the Federal government. As everyone knows the government hates it when people start messing with their money, and rightfully so. Secondly, these companies contribute mass amounts of money to political campaigns and potential candidates. No sane politician will ever stand up to them because doing so could mean political suicide due to the fact that there are simply not enough VOTING Americans to cover the loss of support, financial and otherwise. Third, most of the studies done on marijuana are done by Universities and other government funded organizations due to the restrictions placed on possession. Most of these organizations could not survive without this funding and thus will likely gear their research towards pointing out potential problems. When the government hears the answer they want, they hang up. It is simply easier and less time consuming to provide a bogus answer. The truth costs money. Lastly, how would they justify all the money they have spent on prohibition? The repercussions (civil lawsuits, wasting resources, etc...) are insurmountable in their eyes. It's simply cheaper and easier to keep doing what they are doing and they will continue to beat around the bush.

Here's my opinion as to why they will not give a straight answer:

1. Pharmaceutical companies generate an insane amount of money in the form of taxed revenue for the government. Everyone understands that the government hates when people mess with their cash flow. Marijuana has the potential to eliminate the need for many prescription drugs and if people don't need to get their prescriptions filled every month than those companies are going to take a huge hit, which directly affects the governments funding.

2. Pharmaceutical companies contribute mass amounts of cash to political campaigns and potential candidates. It could be political suicide to attempt to legalize marijuana as it would hurt the companies who help pay to get them in office and provide jobs for their constituents. There is not enough support from VOTING Americans to overcome the damage it would cause to their bid for office.

3. Most research on marijuana is done by universities and organizations who rely heavily on federal funding. Their research is going to lean towards finding the negatives. As soon as the government hears the answer the want, they are going to hang up.

4. The federal government does not have the resources to deal with consequences of legalizing marijuana. How are they going to justify locking up millions of Americans and then legalizing the reason that they were locked up? It is cheaper to keep spending a few billion dollars every year on prohibition than it is to legalize it. There would have to massive control measures taken to regulate it and civil lawsuits against the federal government would cost them hundreds of billions. They simply can't justify that to themselves.

I am not supporting the government in any way (other than taxes) and I am 100% for 100% legalization but it is a very sticky issue for everyone involved in the decision. Our government just does not have the testicular fortitude to face the consequences of decades of wrong policies. They will not give a straight answer until the decision has to be made.
  19. Malliwirapesheake

Malliwirapesheake New Member

and another thing... :)

I believe the gov does not want to let it go for several reasons..:

first the states rights issue which is part of the reason it was made illegal to begin with..to give the feds a reason to interfere...

second is big pharm and notably Big alcohol..... it is ludicrous for the gov to quote safety when tobacco is still for sale..lol at them..not to mention alcohol...

third the DEA... it has a lot of foothold and makes a lot of money... lets not forget the DEA's little brother..the Mob... the non federalized side of the drug game...think of how much money the Mexican Mobs would lose if weed were yanked out of their greedy bloody hands...

that being said: IT WILL HAPPEN. as usual as with Ron Paul as a notable example... the media exerts its overbearing influence to help big gov by stifling it. see that is worse than criticizing or debating it... just ignoring it... the majority does not even think of it...and lets face it we are afraid to discuss it everywhere for fear of labeling and dismissal...

But be positive..think of cali... it got a lot of steam on that ballot. shame on all the shops that fought it.. if i lived there i would boycott them as should any californian...help people understand when feasible ( maybe not at work but in places where we still have free speech) that it is a personal choice that has been grossly misrepresented...

I bet Oregon will be the first to break free ... but i could be wrong... i know that whatever state does will always and forever hold my respect as a bastion of courage in a time of hidden but lethal media censorship....

and dont forget Ron Paul said he wants it legal... so you dont like him? fine then at least tell your candidate... you might be surprised what some of these D.C. clowns will do when they realize we actually DO vote...

Never give up... our kids deserve better... (after they are adults of course)
  20. Malliwirapesheake

Malliwirapesheake New Member

@ jacksonman..first i know this was a month ago..but jeez why even get on this forum at all if you are so pessismistic... dont you realize that they will eventually acquiesce? it is only a matter of time... times are changing...people will eventually wise up... we are trying to get the ball rolling... and no we dont expect immediate success but why the heck are you down on those that try? I believe it WILL change and in MY lifetime...I MAY be wrong but it WONT stop me from trying... maybe u should help? or at least smoke quietly in a corner... you are way to pessimistic and kind of a wet blanket... and i mean that in the nicest possible way....not trying to pick a fight ...just asking you to cheer up and look around at all the success that has been accomplished..at least now in some states it is medicinal... that is a good first step...now keep fighting for your right to live your life as long as it does not hurt others...