ORAL ingestion

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by bigben2390, Jan 7, 2006.

1. bigben2390

bigben2390 New Member

i was wondering how long it takes for the high to kick in after eating marijuana, and does it make a difference as to how fine the bud is ground up? also i hear that the high is longer and better, is this true?

:spark: !
  2. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

It takes about an hour to kick in fully. I don't know if the fineness of the grind is going to affect the high but it will certainly affect the quality of ingesting it. You want it to be as fine as possible to avoid a really gritty texture.
  3. JussBL4ZE

JussBL4ZE Banned

i havnt orally ingested bud, but I have ingested canna butter in food products.. the climax\ rising up to the high takes about 30 minutes.. about 45 you should be feeling the effects.. .way more potent than smoking.. but then again we use high grade bud to cook with.. i expiernce distorted hearing, shaky vision.. generally effects last about an hour while the after buzz isnt as harsh as smoking it, lasts about another hour or so.
  4. medicine_man

medicine_man New Member

Is it better than smoking it? Or do you need more weed to get high.
  5. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Web Developar

Read through the culinary section of the site...

Edit: Nevermind, I am in the culinary section of the site :laugh:
  6. medicine_man

medicine_man New Member

haha, higher logic, pass that joint over here cuz u've had enuf. :)

and i did read some of this section,, do you know any specific thread?

edit: or even mroe specific information?
  7. teufelfisch

teufelfisch Seasoned Activist

You typically will need about twice the amount of weed you would otherwise smoke for a single serving. However, the high will last longer and (depending on dosage) it can be more intense.
  8. teog

teog New Member

ive had two highs eating weed first one i just steamed 2 buds and drank the tea but it was a incrbily mild high second one i ground up the weed very fine and made 7 leary crackers with 7 grams and ate them all then i watched a movie and thought that the movie was my life and then i puked alot wasent fun i wasent watching the happyest of movies 8s

make some canabutter or oil and then make brownies or something after you strained the weed particals out use about 3 grams and the high is more intese and lasts longer
  9. medicine_man

medicine_man New Member

7 g's??? That would kill me! Well not really, but almost.
  10. medicine_man

medicine_man New Member

yeaa all of the recipies ask for a LOT of weed... much more than 2 or 3 times the amount someone would normally smoke......?
  11. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

Most of the recipes are not for a single serving.
  12. JussBL4ZE

JussBL4ZE Banned

it really depends what grade of bud you got. if u got some really good **** then an 8th would be good for a dish of ur choice. if ur using dirty schwag... throw in atleast half ounce.. work it out from there.
  13. medicine_man

medicine_man New Member

alrite.. so roughly 2 or 3 times the amount you would smoke right? and how long does the chemical reaction between alcohol or fat and thc take? like to get it absorbed into the alcohol or fat to absorb it into your body
  14. Dun

Dun New Member

The best purchase I ever made towards cooking was a coffee grinder. I can vouch for the ability of the $20 coffee grinder http://www.gehousewares.com/action/browseproduct?content_id=228 to turn your weed into, literally, a powder (looks like green confectioner's sugar). Smaller particles = increased surface area = increased extraction rate. There's also no need to strain the weed (not only would this be impossible, there is still some THC contained within the plant matter that would be lost); however, if you don't grind it up finely, straining it is a good idea. It's rather nauseating to eat a brownie with chunks of plant matter in it (the first batch of brownies my friends made had not only stems, but seeds still in it! hahaha, I almost couldn't eat it).

Ingesting 2-3x the amount smoked, per serving, sounds about right. As for how long you should "cook" it, that depends on a lot of things - the weed to budder ratio, the temperature of the mixture, how finely ground the weed is, etc. It's not so much a chemical reaction as it is just an interaction - the solvent (butter, alcohol) has to "find" the THC within the plant material and then "migrate" back out.

Arsenal recommends "cooking for a minimum of 20 minutes for medium-sized batches (1/2oz-1oz,) more for larger quantities. And by "cooking" I mean the pot is at/very near a simmering state, and remains that way, neither getting too hot nor too cold throughout" (http://www.marijuana.com/420/showthread.php?t=27124)

I usually just set up a double-boiler and let that go for an hour.
  15. okeydokeypokey

okeydokeypokey New Member

i only ate weed once. it was good and everything but i didnt want to cook it in anything cuz i knew i would mess it up. i ate 3 grams and didnt really get that high, but it felt like i had been smoking all day like an hour later.